Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Blackstone wouldn't get hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Blackstone wouldn't get hot?

So my 36" Blackstone has always been a monster - easily gets to 500-600F degrees.

Yesterday I was trying to do some cheesesteaks and I couldn't get it hardly above 300F. There was next to no wind - I mean maybe a little flutter. I've cooked in much more wind. Also, the gas tank didn't feel too low - I swapped it out for new one. Still the same problem.

Looking under the flattop, I could see all the burners burning - one or two went out a couple of times - but they seemed to be pretty low. Again - new tank also.

I spent 20+ minutes trying to sear some meat for cheesesteaks, couldn't even get a single buttered loaf to toast well. It was on for a good 10+ minutes and still barely toasted. I used my infrared thermometer to check temps many times, couldn't get it above 300-315. Even made sure I kept all the meat on the left side and only the single loaf on the right, with burners all cranked, for 15+ minutes. I know sometimes with a large load of meat or something, temps will drop transiently, but this was prolonged and profound.

Anyone have any ideas???

<edit> And yes. I cranked the valve on the gas open.
    Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; November 29, 2021, 03:09 PM.

I believe your regulator has become stuck in the "low flow" safety position. I just went through the same thing on my 22” inch Blackstone. If it has not become defective, there are instructions on the web on how to reset LP regulators. Close the LP tank valve, disconnect the LP hose at the LP tank. Open the burner valves. Leave them open for 5 to 10 minutes. Close them down, reconnect, open the LP valve, then try relighting the burners. If this doesn’t work (maybe a couple of tries), you may need a need LP regulator. Please google it to make sure my directions are the recommended ones.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I will second this. I've not had it on my griddle but quite a few times over the decades with my Weber gas grills.

Trick is to make sure you only open the LP tank valve when you are sure no burners are open. Otherwise, once you get it into the mode of thinking there is a leak, it will be stuck in low flow mode until you reset it the way GolfGeezer is talking about.
      Last edited by jfmorris; November 29, 2021, 03:22 PM.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      X2^

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      What jfmorris said. He mentioned this to another member a while back. I had the same problem and he was right on the money. I've had no issues since.

Spiderwebs in the tubes? I know that happens to gas grills sometimes.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the spidies
      I'm not familiar with Blackstone's but in gas BBQ's the burners do rot out, if its the same system it could be a bad burner
      So burner or regulator.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think there're any spideys. I've used it often enough and kept it covered (not a guarantee, I know), but it looks pretty damned clean under there - I don't think there're any bugs.

It could be something as simple as you opened the tank valve too quickly. Otherwise, I'm going with the regulator "low flow" safety position explanation.

Comment

My guess would be an airlock.

It happens with mine too if I turn the burners on and then the tank.

Shut everything off, including the tank.

Then open the tank and then the burners. And hit the ignition button. You should be good to go from there.

Comment

Blackstone’s regulators are the most finicky I’ve used yet. A few simple steps get it back in business. It doesn’t take long, but it’s infuriating when you have to do it!

Steps:
        Turn off all burners.
        Disconnect tank.
        Wait 60 seconds.
        Reconnect tank.
        Open valve VERY SLOW. Ssslllloooooowwwww.
        Light it up!

If Blackstone wasn’t busy selling $1000 models with air fryers and trash cans they might focus on the little things that make customers happy. Surprisingly, I complain a lot about mine, but in 2.5 years I have yet to replace the regulator! 🤣🤦🏽🤣

Comment

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on the "open the valve Slowly" - I forgot that part. Crucial as the whole issue is pressure imbalance between the supply side and output side of those regulators. There is a very cheap, usually plastic, part in the regulator that triggers the "low flow" situation. I'm not surprised at this cost saving on material and design to keep price points down, but hard to believe fixing it would be that expensive.

Wow, I bet ya'll are right. If I remember right, yesterday I turned on the burners, tried the igniter and then when it didn't light, checked the tank and it was turned off. If this is a scenario that causes the regulator to stick, I'll almost guarantee that's it. I can try it tonight when I get home... whenever that is.

Thanks for the tips, fellas! From now on I'll make sure the gas is on BEFORE I turn on the burners. AND make sure to turn it on SLOWLY!

Comment

I know just enough about propane to blow myself up but that certainly sounds like the regulator is locked up. Either that or the orifice/burner tubes are gunked up and messing with the fuel/air mixture, your flame would be more yellowish and sooty if that was the case though.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought so, too, so I kept checking it - but it was a nice blue flame, just super low. And everything's pretty clean, I've only had it since like July.

Everyone above is spot on. I also do not open the gas all the way. Only a quarter of a turn.

This may help

Last edited by DavidNorcross; November 29, 2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Flux Capacitor, no need to thank me.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
              GolfGeezer commented
              Editing a comment
              Now back to the future of bbq…doc….

Fixed. You guys nailed it, thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here