Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first "cheese"steak on the Blackstone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first "cheese"steak on the Blackstone.

Ok, so this morning I went to the butcher and got a 2.78 lb chuck roast and had them shave it super duper thin. I'm gonna use this for my first attempt at cheesesteaks.

My son is headed to work at Chik-Fil-A at 4, so I decided to let him be my guinea pig. I made up a little marinade for the meat and put some in a bowl. I used some soy (he's a NUT for soy), some Wash-yer-sister sauce, some olive oil, fresh black pepper and garlic paste, all mixed up. It was a little sour/salty so I added a dab of apple cider vinegar and some homemade kecap manis. A dusting of Tony Chacere's on the meat and some onion powder and it sat in the fridge for about 20 minutes.

He does NOT like cheese (except on pizza, go figure) but I convinced him to let me put a few peppers and onions in there, so it was more than just a plain steak sammich.

On to the pics:

First, the components.

Click image for larger version

Name:	i-ndk4pSH-X2.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1092442Click image for larger version

Name:	i-T7cjXJc-X2.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	1092443

In process... a little blurry with this one. Bleh. I was trying to hurry and snap a pic, was afraid things was gonna burn.

Name:	i-5cpXXkZ-X2.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1092444

The bread - I like this bread I got at the butcher, I think these are the perfect size and texture for cheesesteaks!

Name:	i-VzcRjjL-X2.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1092445

The finished filling.

Name:	i-v3mNmpc-X2.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	1092446

The completed product.

Name:	i-gxc3LL8-X2.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1092447

Indoor lighting.

Name:	i-6r5dNTQ-X2.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1092448

And yes, before anyone says it looks a little light on the filling, I agree... but he's 16 and only about 110 lbs, so I didn't want to waste any and he's about to head to work out in the heat in the drive-thru (it's supposed to get to 97ºF here today), so I didn't want to weigh him down too much. And he's a scrawny guy.

So now that I've got my trial run under my belt I'll adapt the marinade a little and I got some fresh provolone to make a provolone cheese sauce like Kent Rollins - horseradish included!

Very nice!

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Followed up this evening with a couple of real cheesesteaks!

A little béchamel first for the cheese sauce.

Name:	i-JTgf3hh-X2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1092707

With some chunked up provolone in it....

Name:	i-rL8vNzV-X2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1092713

It can get a little busy trying to manage everything - you can't see the sauce here off to the right. That complicated things immensely, trying to keep that stirring so it wouldn't burn or clump and keep adding milk so it wouldn't get too thick, etc. Put a little horseradish sauce in it, had just the right amount of tang... it was awesome.

Name:	i-sRMz2x3-X2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1092708

Really loving this bread... it was perfect.

Name:	i-WWRVGjF-X2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1092711

I think the sliced chuck worked perfectly. Had some stringiness in places and some fat, but was able to cut it up just fine with my two spatulas (these Blackstone spatulas are really great quality!).

Name:	i-ncJCJ99-X2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	1092709

Final product!

Name:	i-hNG3VDD-X2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1092710

And just before the first bite!

Name:	i-Qfm3J6v-X2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1092712

My biggest (and only) complaint is that this is a lot of prep and a lot of work, yet it took me a maximum of 5 minutes to devour this amazing beast!

I do think next time I'll do more of the meat (I still have about half of what I bought), I think it will store well, probably even freeze well. Then just thaw some out and make a quick sammy!

I had a cheesesteak at Grapevine Mills in Dallas a few weeks ago and this blows away that place by a million miles. I could barely eat that one. I will admit, I had them put way too much crap on it, this is much better, a simpler, uncomplicated taste. Multiple ingredients in the marinade, don't need a ton of sheisse on the sammich!

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          One of our favorite things to do with leftover tri tip. Gonna raid the garden this morning for peppers and do up some Phillies this evening. Thanks for the nudge!

Looks good, I can't agree more about all the prepping and then it's gone in minutes.

Comment

Blackstone cooking is awesome…my pic was a taco night creation
          Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here