Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Succumbed to MCS - new 36" Blackstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's gonna be a lot of practice learning how to cook on something this large and learning how to manage the heat. For burgers like last night, it's just WARP 9 and full on till done, doing things like breakfast with eggs, bacon, cakes/potatoes, etc., I'd imagine I'll have to learn to finesse the heat levels alot more from one side to the other. Gotta get the right level of heat and sear to get things to come off the grill cooked properly at approximately the right time.

Comment

DogFaced PonySoldier Enjoy that bad boy! I love cooking on the griddle.

After smash burgers, my recommended cooks would be an asian style stir fry, with fried rice, veggies and chicken/steak/shrimp, or fajitas or tacos.

Comment

I can tell you are already in love.
        I'm still moping about because of the time I lost from the purchase date to my first use (times I'll never get back, was a long stretch...sigh) but am I every glad I have one. Don't let the fact that it took you a couple years to get one get the better of you. Rejoice in that you know have one. 😊
        ENJOY.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a very moving experience!

So I went home at lunch today and was digging through the fridge to clean out some leftovers and decided, to do something else for lunch.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	i-qkxdnwC-S.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1083147

Name:	i-NF2HRHf-X2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1083148

Name:	i-x8sxVjz-X2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1083149

I gotta say... this thing's pretty handy. And it makes a helluva nice grilled ham & cheese!

Comment

You can make pretty much anything on the Blackstone. You gotta get into he steak sandwich game, that is what make the Blackstone, IMHO.

Comment

Hibachi! Learn to do the onion volcano, it's worth it to watch everyone's face (plus it's easy). Plus the fried rice to go with your protein of choice (I always do steak, chicken and shrimp) tastes especially good with Yum Yum sauce (also easy to make).

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              This! My son in law BROUGHT me a bottle of vodka so that I would do onion volcanos. I've yet to do it since he gifted me that bottle though.

Congratulations on the Blackstone! I have the same model and love it! I picked up a mandoline for getting thin sliced onions and have been going to town with smash burgers and grilled veggies. I think joining this forum aught to come with a 12 step program.
            Last edited by Yohawk; August 28, 2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

12 Steps?

Like:

Step 1 - smashburgers
              Step 2 - smashburgers and grilled veggies
              Step 3 - grilled cheeses
              Step 4 - cheesesteaks
              Step 5 - fried rice
              Step 6 - bacon
              Step 7 - breakfast hashbrowns, omelettes, etc..

That kinda 12 Step program????

Comment

And yet another cook... breakfast today.

The bacon was quick and easy - I actually pulled it off early, The Wife likes hers not as crispy as I do - next time I'ma crisp iy up 'till some is almost black.

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-tbfKBn2-XL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.8 KB ID:	1084484Click image for larger version  Name:	i-TXcQNk8-XL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.2 KB ID:	1084485

This thing makes really great toast, too! Of course, buttering both sides of the bread is an absolute necessity for the best toast, which makes it a bit messy... I doubt I'll be doing that all that often, but man, it is nice!

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-RwVDTPR-XL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.7 KB ID:	1084486Click image for larger version  Name:	i-zLcdrmN-XL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	232.2 KB ID:	1084487

And last, just a few eggs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-HH34Kkb-XL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.5 KB ID:	1084488Click image for larger version  Name:	i-SD6tRfn-XL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	240.9 KB ID:	1084489

I have to admit, in spite of all the reports from others, I still didn't expect it to be THAT easy. Dang. Even the eggs were a breeze - I've never done eggs on a flat top before, and these were just caek.

<edit> There IS a bit of a learning curve. I'm going to have to play with using 2 or burners as well. With all 4 burners even on low, this thing was 400ºF+ in the middle section, so I need to get a handle on how to get a good zone of 350-375ish and hold it there.

<edit2> And I'll add my first real complaint. It gets too hot on the sides. I think some kind of shielding or something would be good, the little shelves on the sides honestly are too hot with this thing cranked, or even on medium heat, to utilize for much.
                Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; August 28, 2021, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Glad yer learnin to love flattop cookin, I been Preachin this fer many years..

Ready to send it back, jus yet, Brother???

Ya've barely even dipped a toe into some Really Great Stuff!

Have BIG FUN, an ask any questions ya come up against...there's plenty of us, rye cheer, to help...

Lotsa posted stuff, too, but if'n ya ask, we can guide ya to that, specifically, vs tryin to Search...

Looks like yer learnin th temp control very well, by my observation, based upon a lil bit of experience, we could safely say...Bravo!!! ...

Havin an IR thermo is very helpful; wait until they go on Bigtime Sale, [url=https://www.thermoworks.com/IR-Gun]this [/url is th one I have, think I got it fer $39.99 on one there frequent sales deals, super handy fer CI cooks, as well
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 28, 2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BTW: Notice how yer stove, counters an backslash ain't all coveed with grease spatter?
                  No skillets, pots or pans to be cleaned?
                  Life is Good, Amigo!
                  Griddle On, an please share with us.
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 28, 2021, 12:15 PM.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree about the IR thermometer for sure, you can see mine next to my zombie-killing coffee mug above - although I'm wondering if I should get a better one to compare temps. It does seem to be pretty good, but it ain't no Thermoworks, I know that!

I love my Blackstone and, like others, think you’ll find lots of reasons to use it.

Comment

Congratulations, and welcome to the Blackstone family! I’ve had my 36” stainless model for 2.5 years. It quickly became my most used cooker, and I’m still in love with it today. You’ll find so many things to cook on it you’ll wonder how you made it this long without one!

Comment

Looks great. That's definitely something I want to add in the future.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here