Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackstone seasoning sweet spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed. If you could, talk about your cleaning process from the moment you take your food off to when you put your cover on. And also talk about your seasoning process because a poor seasoning will flake.
    Last edited by Andrrr; August 11, 2021, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Once I am done I scrap and clean with either a cloth or water depending how bad it is. I reapply oil ( avocado oil) I get it hot for a light reasoning. Once it's set I let it cool and apply a very thin protective layer. I put it away.

Comment

Macktechie I have a 22" Blackstone 2 burner and I am having similar issues with the seasoning. The seasoning in two spots, the areas that are in the middle of each burner section, see the seasoning chip/scrape off. I just went through the process of removing the seasoning and have now reapplied it using ultra thing layers of avocado oil (5 layers, burning off each very, very thinly applied). I always use a scraper spatula and a stainless chain scraper (the kind they sell to clean cast iron), always when it is still warm, and then apply a very thin oil layer.

I must admit that I have never been good at getting a cast iron pan seasoned properly. I used to own a lodge skillet and pan, but the knack of seasoning just seems to elude me. I'm sure it can be done as many have attested to it, but not me. Those pans are gone now, replaced by either stainless or non-stick. If my griddle continues to have issues, I'll just keep fixing it because I love using it for many types of cooks.

I almost wish Grill Grates made a pan 'cause I have no issues with keeping them clean!

Comment

"...I always use a scraper spatula and a stainless chain scraper (the kind they sell to clean cast iron), always when it is still warm..."
          That, I think, could be your issue. Steel is as hard or harder than the coating and is likely removing the seasoning. for cast iron and carbon steel, I just use a stiff plastic bristle brush or scrubby. And it doesn't really matter if you clean while it's warm or room/outdoor temp.

Originally posted by Macktechie View Post
          Once I am done I scrap and clean with either a cloth or water depending how bad it is. I reapply oil ( avocado oil) I get it hot for a light reasoning. Once it's set I let it cool and apply a very thin protective layer. I put it away.

that should be fine. Maybe the picture above is misleading? Because it looks like the center area is much less seasoned with bare spots.
          Last edited by rickgregory; August 12, 2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Question have been wanting an answer to for some time. What material is the flat top plate made from?

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            They have carbon steel and stainless versions. The latter, of course, cannot really be seasoned. I assume we're talking about the carbon steel versions here.

• au4stree
            au4stree commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the carbon steel version and love it, but I recently cooked on a stainless steel version and man that was really nice. Super easy cleanup without worry of messing up my seasoning.

I heat up the griddle and use the spatula to remove any heavy residue. I do not scrape. Then wipe it down, put on the layer of oil and wipe again.

Comment

If there are any rough spots or differences in height (between seasoned and non-seasoned areas) that’s going to be a weak spot that will crack. When reseasonjng you don’t need to take it down to bare metal, but it does need to be smooth.

I reseasoned my 36” earlier this year after an unfortunate "vacation" in the rain. Used a wire brush on my drill to smooth it out. Didn’t take it all the way down, but got all the rust off and made sure it was totally smooth.

The key to seasoning is many very THIN coats of oil. I did 7-8 on this last seasoning and I haven’t had a crack or rust in 6 months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4B04261A-226F-47BA-9561-3987CD014C0E.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	1076788
            Click image for larger version

Name:	4A66185B-25FC-45EE-9FAB-5CCD64C081B1.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	1076787
            Last edited by Santamarina; August 13, 2021, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Macktechie
              Macktechie commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe my next step at this point. Does look sweet.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here