Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for best quality convenient travel/tailgate grill - Weber Q?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for best quality convenient travel/tailgate grill - Weber Q?

I'm planning ahead for summer vacation in case I stumble across a good deal before then. Restaurants in the area we go have become lackluster over the past few years, so we are thinking we want to get a portable grill to take along and only eat a few meals out. I've already been looking at researching just about everything I can find out there and am looking for the best size, convenience, value combination. Thinking we might use it for some family get togethers and maybe even turn it into a starter grill in a few years when my son gets an apartment or something.

These trips are fishing trips, so when the weather is permitting, we're generally fishing more than wanting to tend to a cooker. When the weather isn't cooperating, I'm guessing I wouldn't want to tend to most travel type of smokers.

Anyway, I quickly ruled out the Weber Go Anywhere series and most of the other sub $100 propane offerings I've seen as they look like they'll only last a short time. I've thought about the PKGO and the Weber Jumbo Joe, but not sure I want the hassle of charcoal and all the accessories I'd likely want with it (chimney, starter cubes, extra tongs or charcoal rake, etc.). I'm thinking this will be burgers, brats, chicken breasts, steaks...all pretty quick meals. GMG Davy Crocket seems pretty big and heavy as well as likely performs very mediocre for steaks and burgers. What I seem to be gravitating towards are the Weber Q1200 or Q2200 grills. This would also allow the wife and in-laws the ability to maybe use it some to. My FIL might help with the charcoal, but the wife and MIL definitely wouldn't. Transportation space is usually pretty limited with all the fishing gear and suitcases.

So, what other good quality options am I missing? Who here has a Weber Q? Do you still use it? Would you buy another? How much can you really cook on a 1000/1200? Would 6 - 1/2lb burgers fit on it? How about 5 10 oz steaks or 5-6 chicken breasts? Have you found a smoke box that works to help add a little more flavor? Does the food taste any better than cooking it in a skillet without the flavorizer bars the full sized Webers have?

FWIW I have a Coleman tailgate grill I love. It gets hot quickly, has some accessories that are nice (griddle top), and is easy to clean. My buddy has the Weber Q and it's also awesome. I like that the Coleman has it's own collapsible legs to nicely fit into my trunk, personally.

Comment

Somebody (sorry, don't recall who) posted a cook with one of these and I found it intriguing.

grilling experience made in the usa backyard tailgating camping tool

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks really cool, but probably more that I want to spend on a grill to get used a couple weeks a year. I’ve also struggled to find hardwood where we go...I’m sure it’s available somewhere though.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        glitchy From what I gathered it will burn wood or charcoal. They have pre-cut kit so you can save some cash if you weld it yourself. Also, get on YouTube and search 'rocket stove' for videos of homemade ones.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb I’ve always wanted to learn to weld ;-)

I have a weber Q and love it, portable, easy to use and compact, I also bought one for my daughter and she loves it

Comment

The guy we bought our RV from had a Coleman and he loved it. I almost bought one, but we decided we wanted the 3 burner stove so we ended up with a Traeger Scout pellet grill. It works well for burgers and dogs, but it won't sear anything, and you need electricity to run it. All of this to say I checked out the Coleman Roadtrip and it looked like a good setup.

Read our review of the Coleman Roadtrip LXE which is a two-burner portable gas grill on a fold-up cart. The two 10,000 BTU burners have a unique round design. They are covered by an oval heat diffuser that evens out heat across the coated cast iron grates and sizzles drippings to flavor foods. Our AmazingRibs.com Silver Medal goes to LXE.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought a little about the Country Smokers knock off of the scout and reading reviews and remembering some of your posts, I wasn’t sure I’d be really happy with it. I’ll look a little more at the Roadtrips.
          Last edited by glitchy; January 13, 2020, 11:20 AM.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          glitchy, yeah, if I had done some research first I wouldn't have got the Traeger. Impulse buys usually end up that way.

I don't have one, but think that the Weber Q 1000 or 2000 series with the optional folding cart would be the way to go. You can run from the small 1 pound throw away propane tanks, OR use the optional hose to connect to a regular 20 pound propane tank. I am using the Q series adapter hose with my Weber Performer Deluxe, so that I can use a 20# tank instead of the throw away tanks.

About the only accessories you might think about with the Q would be a set of custom Grillgrates - they went a long way with my Weber gas grills to taming flareups, and making a 2 zone setup less necessary, allowing use of the full grate on both the gas and charcoal grills.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, the 1lb propane tanks are a plus, can just pick up some when we get there and go to get groceries. I'm a big fan of grill grates and noticed they did have a set for the Qs, but was a little bummed they ride on top for those grills instead of replacement. I have a full coverage set on my spirit.

had a Q in our camper for a long time. as things evolved I found everything I was cooking on the Q was better cooked on a griddle (Blackstone).....until I ultimately unloaded the Q. If you go that route you wont be disappointed.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a blackstone and used it twice, might have to give it another thought though for this as could whip up breakfast too. I have had a little griddle for months and haven’t even opened the box, not sure what my aversion to griddles is though. Would probably do great for things I listed.
          Last edited by glitchy; January 13, 2020, 07:03 PM.

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm, the 22” blackstone has a model with lid and collapsible stand. As well CampChef has a couple models you can get grill and griddle for. Thanks xaugievike for the idea. I might have to open the Little Griddle and give it another run. I bought the blackstone in the fall and the mice got on it over the winter, so I had to reseason it and got frustrated.
          Last edited by glitchy; January 13, 2020, 10:54 PM.

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          I use the 22" at our camper. good compromise of size and portability for us (fam of 3)....you can make a lot of food on that thing.

I have a Weber Q definitely works well as a portable grill.

Would love one of these: https://mgrills.com/collections/our-...portable-grill

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet, but 94 sq inches isn’t going to cook much for 5 people.

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Appears that you can double it for smoking...that thing is sweet. Just not sure it’s practical for my application. I’ve always drooled over M Grills stuff.

This one is similar but bigger:

Humphrey's Smokers featuring the Battle Box, the Weekender, and other vertical cabinet charcoal smokers.

Comment

Honestly if I were getting a portable grill it would be Weber Q with side shelves and stand if gas or PK360 if charcoal.

Though this one is awesome if you are looking for the best:

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Drooling over the Blaze until I saw price tag. I think I’d get in trouble with the boss. I really would like to have/try a PK, though I’d probably go original just for space reasons. Food would taste better for sure, but let’s face it, gas is virtually no work and faster. That’s my dilemma, cook better food or fish more?

I have an original Q and that thing is bullet proof. Can’t tell you how many meals it cooked for my family. I’ve also used it 20-30 times for larger customer appreciation type events where I’ve cooked 80+ burgers and dogs on it at a time. I can’t think of another portable grill that can come close to it. And yes, get the hose to run the 20lb tanks off of it. You can thank me later.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            For vacation I don’t want to haul propane around, but I will probably get the adapter for around here though. However, it is a tourist area with lots of campers, so maybe I can find a place to rent a tank rather than use several small ones over a week. Thanks for the feedback!

Looking for info on the Blaze Old Glory shared, I saw a Kuuma Stow N Go and something by Magma Products, anyone know anything about either of these? Looks like Kumail might target boat mounted grills?

Comment

I have the larger Weber Q and it's pretty good. My only major complaint is that you can't set up 2 zones. My only minor complaint is that the side tables aren't level. I got mine for $50 on craigslist.

Click image for larger version  Name:	y8lxhkxiJBV5V9Ji0OxdJ-cwgAu13aMSPZ1YPUwlw9_HU1EsnbYWno_BAXMe06qcq_xPjc8JanS45V239bBZaI65xT3KRdLzh_RLrhh-sWI30yf6kMVRW8xmGBxNlV5fXYIsnjl5x3wliUPetqcoIH1CN7l44mcXgFeHA7rVcNqvrzLHzhn2ysxLwXGAwENP8DxPEdyxLbuy_54c8FyIyPVNCs-23N9x_86IRjPqYAqY5OQ5vj2q3EONpZQNf3F Views:	0 Size:	332.2 KB ID:	791218

Click image for larger version

Name:	7FWELwypfmfPFzS265LQ7RUuXqx6AWPkNJT-k2A3adhgaSitlw_UZ43lruznz7dS_xWX4HXHlTHlKxKOCPkjswlSWPPl5huEIaP2X-I69nOlZXRkOZjNmkdBHjpXyK19dHE_X_2uAxTjPp_0HHZ10Lwv24wTgvsow3e1Zacjg279hWvVnSqWBoukYwrR-cAcCy2znMSBZkBTCq4jjyc3VkCHNKM7GaGf37VVVwtaCmFSXkvp0WldJUlAPkOlaI2
Views:	197
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	791228

Click image for larger version

Name:	PHaEgR1fegai3Z9L5B5c0euGqfZ10TP7mhYRmevewIHv_S8ffcYAii49QyUrnt7s5nj_xJT3iCGGsDWPcMeX3gYwi4AYnby9I5cYJX6qagc4je9Ly5_80hMiY1cW4cq0FA9Ke8E61ZZVRYbhI4MQlZpvBU2JckAXKufpanVl2KZzQ-m46YuFe_gu5AyPK9aZD_jaPoc9QHBiX2xGvkrpthAUcySwvO0Ksd7qe910hbl4U90JHV_g4ucXWZ_3Lrs
Views:	226
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	791229
            Last edited by Attjack; January 14, 2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              What is that griddle? The more I look, keep coming back to Q, but heavily considering a blackstone too. However, looks like you have both worlds.
              Last edited by glitchy; January 14, 2020, 11:54 AM.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              The griddle came with the Q as did the full-sized propane adapter. My advice would be to start monitoring craigslist now. If you find one for $50 like I did you won't really have any choice, will you?
              Last edited by Attjack; January 14, 2020, 12:01 PM.

The Napolean looks good as well. https://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-TQ28...9e7b9dd17b7822

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              It does, I agree. I just like that the Weber can be used as tabletop and still have side tables. I don’t know if we can fit a cart in too unless I roll the roof rack or get a hitch carrier. I miss having a pickup and/or a boat for extra hauling capacity.

Weber has a griddle for the Q - making it more versatile than the Blackstone in that regard.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here