Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ecozoom Versa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecozoom Versa

Not exactly a grill, but it does involve me playing with fire. I used to take this on scout outings, and it's been almost a decade since my son left scouts. This week I got tired of tripping over it in the garage and decided to either use it or get rid of it. It's an Ecozoom Versa rocket stove. Like any good rocket stove, it's very efficient with fuel, and once it gets going burns hot and clean. This model was ideal for scouting because the insulation means no accidental burns from touching the sides.

Fire management in this is a bit of an art, and I'm out of practice. You have to keep enough sticks going to get a good fire, but not too much to choke off air flow. And I should have split some those pieces smaller. But it was a fun Saturday morning omelette. (I forgot to get a photo of the end result.) I'll keep using it for a while. If I'm not into it, I'll donate it to the scout troop.

EDIT: Apparently it also opened a portal to the afterlife. "Come toward the light..."

Click image for larger version  Name:	6255123C-C6FF-4826-B45C-938D8B8ACE41.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	2.33 MB ID:	769784
    Last edited by radshop; November 16, 2019, 04:51 PM.

See post #36

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...3-wok-this-way

There was a little mention of cooking with a wok on the pod cast. Just thought I’d toss in my 1 & a 1/2 cents into the fray. Cast Iron was mentioned, it is not good for Chinese
    Last edited by Polarbear777; November 16, 2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Follow Polarbear777 lead & its "to the moon Alice".

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
        Follow Polarbear777 lead & its "to the moon Alice".
        Very interesting. As it happens, I lived in China for almost 4 years in the early/mid-90s. The go-to for restaurant wok cooking was high-output kerosene burners, which gets the same effect with quicker startup time. At home, most people had electric burners, but that was a problem because the electric grid was spotty (kind of like California is trying to be now). So for a lot of people, their home backup system was a coal or charcoal option similar to yours (safer than kerosene, and reliable in a pinch). Almost nobody burned wood because most of the trees had been stripped from the land during recurring famines over several decades.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here