Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is your grill’s seasoning across the line.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is your grill’s seasoning across the line.....

Not sure which channel this one belongs in, but felt it was a good read/reminder to keep your stuff clean. Certainly we aren’t in the restaurant business and churning out delicious meats to their volume, but clean is clean.

Grill on!

Oh come on, what's wrong with a little seasoning?? After all think of all the burnt on grease and seasonings and oh the bacteria that's nested in there, yummmmmyy !!!

As I always say, it ain't the cooker but the cookie !!!!

Related image

Comment

Well, I clean my grill almost every year - whether or not it needs it.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Does that also include showering?

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman - Na - I shower when it rains which makes my winter showers very short.

Thanks for the article. I personally have always believed in a clean pit and grill and I’m glad the pro’s see it that way too.

Comment

had a grease fire once long ago in a vertical smoker. Since then they get hosed out at least once a year at the car wash, and anytime I see grease buildup. Haven't had an issue since.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes to the vertical smoker. I have one that can blaze up with a single 4 butt cook due to grease on the deflector plate. I keep it pretty darn clean for that reason, alone.

Reading this made me think of the PBC because I clean all of my cookers but the PBC. I’ve heard many times that the lid and inside of the barrel must be "gunked up" before temperatures behave as expected. In the how to clean PBC video Noah says the buildup is called a "seasoned drum" and that the buildup is "normal, not harmful, and it’s part of what makes the pit barrel so great." I also believe that I’ve read from PBC sources that you’re not supposed to wash or scrape the inside of the barrel, just crack the lid and burn the grease harder. Not knocking my PBC here by any means I just thought temperature control issues being attributed to the lack of creosote and condensate was unusual at first. The article makes interesting points, but I know my PBC has been better behaved since gunking it up. Now I’m thinking I might clean it in earnest. Thanks for sharing this.
        Last edited by jhapka; October 29, 2019, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I regularly scrape out the inside of my wsm - after every few cooks - and I clean the kettle when it gets gunked up, especially the lid. I clean the wsm more because it sits more, and no matter how dry I get it, I get mold in it if it sits too long (even with the cover on it, when that happens I burn a full basket of KBB, let it cool then wash it and scrape it). Thanks for posting something that backs me up; I have had people ask my why I am cleaning the pits, and they say the same thing "you are messing up the seasoning". I tend to avoid eating their Q after hearing that.

Comment

I do a "clean burn" on the BGE several times a year, and I clean the grates on it after every cook, while they are still hot. On the Weber Kettle I clean the grates after every cook, but the inside of the rest of it isn’t bad at all. But I mostly grill on the kettle, so that’s understandable.

Comment

I open up the dampers on our Keg after a smoke and let her rip.
              Depending on how much fuel is left temps can reach 600.
              When she cools down a rub with an abrasive pad of some kind keeps her clean.

Comment

Not about food, it's about grills, so I'm moving this to the Misc Grills channel.

Comment

Originally posted by jhapka View Post
                  Reading this made me think of the PBC because I clean all of my cookers but the PBC. I’ve heard many times that the lid and inside of the barrel must be "gunked up" before temperatures behave as expected. In the how to clean PBC video Noah says the buildup is called a "seasoned drum" and that the buildup is "normal, not harmful, and it’s part of what makes the pit barrel so great." I also believe that I’ve read from PBC sources that you’re not supposed to wash or scrape the inside of the barrel, just crack the lid and burn the grease harder. Not knocking my PBC here by any means I just thought temperature control issues being attributed to the lack of creosote and condensate was unusual at first. The article makes interesting points, but I know my PBC has been better behaved since gunking it up. Now I’m thinking I might clean it in earnest. Thanks for sharing this.
                  I don't clean the innards of the PBC and am not certain there's a motivation to do it, since the food doesn't touch the sides or the inside of the lid. I only clean what the food touches.

That said, I do scrape the inside of the lid whenever it gets enough gunk on it to want to start forming stalactites, because I don't want condensates dripping on the food. I do that by cracking the lid while there is still residual charcoal burning. The lid's gunk gets soft enough to be easily removed with a putty knife. I've got a gasket in the lid's rim; I don't mess with it.

The recommendations to "gunk up the lid" refers, to my mind at least, to letting a buildup occur in the rim of the lid so a good seal can be formed. The rest of the lid can be de-gunked.

And, as you noted, I give the PBC's innards a good burn out routinely by leaving the lid cracked and letting the pit temperatures soar. If the walls were to catch fire, they would do so then, I would think.

So to my mind, with the PBC at least, perhaps Noah's recommendations are on target, modified slightly by routine high burns and lid maintenance.

I would think the goal of a de-gunk type of cleaning for a smoker would be to remove buildup that may encourage condensates over the food and/or may result in a smoker fire down the road. Hard to imagine the stuff on the inside vertical walls of the PBC catching fire. I guess it's possible, but I've never heard of it.

I have heard of PBCs that caught fire because of a buildup of grease in the bottom of the barrel. That's why I line the barrel bottom with a double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil before each cook. It helps with ash removal and grease removal as well.

Just some thoughts...

Kathryn

Comment

• ScottyC13
                    ScottyC13 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You always give terrific responses. Thanks.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you, ScottyC13 . That's nice of you to say.

Kathryn

When cooking on large amouts on stick burners at high temps the grease is litetally spraying out the chimney. You can feel it landing on you. Yes clean your stickburner well. Pressure wash then let dry before closing the doors.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow. I never knew that.

K.

I too feel that there is no benefit of build up inside your cookers, beyond what little build up it may take to seal the lid of a kettle or the PCB. Some grease might prevent rust on non-stainless surfaces, but if you keep it clean and dry, rust shouldn't be an issue.

I remove all the grates and hose down my offset, being sure to hose out the grease drain in the bottom good, and I'll stick a screw driver down in there to scrape it out as well. Also hose the chimney out good. On my kettle, I do a deep clean and scrape the body interior once or twice a year, scraping it down into the ash bucket, using a razor blade. With the Weber Genesis gas grills, I use a putty knife to scrape down all the flavorizer bars and interior, with the ash catch removed, and scrape it as well, and hose it all out. Once all cookers are clean, I fire them up to dry them out before covering after a deep clean. With the offset that means a chimney of charcoal in the firebox. With the kettle, I fire up the gas ignition on the Performer and let it dry things out.

EDIT: The build up I notice the most is carbon inside the lid of my kettle and my offset, which starts flaking off in sheets. I don't notice that in the gas grills so much as I do grease build up in those.
                  Last edited by jfmorris; November 1, 2019, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Just say no to nasty grills.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NKmrf2owjGHbLpcQdUreYRPbYGZgPwSuGs2YtwGKp875b_xhOPxXt8gQ7iYEzD23kT2mwT8f-_mgRMKq9xB76s7rT1aXoKlceHS-uLMAoTj28KTWc5U6m_ZOO8yr8MuxiXOIPq8HyVlRGDxLzM9YC0ulJIEB1GEBR6cpki9e95PAOmOly1nw9Aaa7FkPXn9R0L3smM-RpsvNwlThrwOg5uYL1ggfhef0kWNrUS9zU7hv_43ttFZzlJ9i2XaVYh1
Views:	214
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	763894

Comment

I clean the lid of my Weber Kettle when it goes into automatic "Pepper" mode. Then I hit it with a wire drill brush.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wire-brush-attachment.jpg?fit=500%2C450&ssl=1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	763954

I do not clean the lid edge though.

Last edited by ssandy_561; November 1, 2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
                        klflowers commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Another do dad I am going to have to get ahold of.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here