Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First purchase, or, "How I was overcome by the paralysis of choice."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vote either the Pit Barrel Cooker or a 26in kettle with a Slow 'N Sear. 😁

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree. The 22” kettle with SNS is fantastic but capacity limited. I had a 26” with sns and replaced it with a PBC, both are good choices.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Polarbear777 I was fortunate enough to fit a 14lb brisket on my 22 w/ SnS, tight fit but it fit. But yeah the 26 is nice with that extra wiggle room.

I have a 22” kettle with SnS. I love it, but the space is very limiting and the temperature is very uneven vertically. I recently got a PBC for the extra capacity, I’m very pleased with it so far.

Comment

I started smoking on a glass grill, then moved to a gas cabinet smoker when I wanted to jump in further. I've now got the PBC & really love it. You can grill with it by raising the basket, or hanging it from the rebar & placing the grate on top, but it's not a great setup.

But for $500, you could get the $400 PBC package & watch Craig's list for a used Weber kettle (around here premiums come up for less than $100 pretty regularly). Then just ask for the sns for Christmas or a housewarming gift.

Comment

I would definitely recommend a kettle. A 26" with a SnS will cover everything you would want to do for your backyard cookouts. And then when MCS kicks in you can add a lot of mods to it that sorta reinvents the cooker. There is not a single thing you cannot do on a kettle. One day you can add a fan and have the most set and forget cooker out there.

Comment

Weber 26 and S&S
          PK360
          PBC

Now if you are willing to spend a little more I will suggest an insulated Water Smoker. You can smoke in winter and they have great capacity.

The Humprey's Weekender is nice: https://www.humphreysbbq.com/products/the-weekender

Or a Backwoods Chubby:https://shop.backwoods-smoker.com/co...ts/chubby-3400

Last edited by Old Glory; September 30, 2019, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, the Backwoods Cubby was one that came to my mind as well, but I was pretty sure it was well above the $500 budget.

My vote would be Pit Barrel Cooker with this. Or a properly equipped 26" kettle and SnS (if you can find one, still can't believe Dave isn't selling those anymore....).

Edit to add, the Original PK is a nice option. They are having a deal if you plan to take your cooker places, they throw in an extra travel stand. PKTx is the way I'd go....
          PK Grills has a wide inventory of quality grills and smokers available. Click here to view the grill that will revolutionize the way you cook today.
          Last edited by au4stree; September 30, 2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

It is hard to add to the good advice already given here especially by jfmorris. I would just add that since you plan to grill on your gasser the PBC might serve your needs for an inexpensive but very reliable smoker. I both grill and smoke on my kettle/SNS setup, but for bigger, longer cooks I go to my Yoder pellet grill.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with you Larry, and I think based on that, change my advice to the PBC versus at WSM 18. I would only compare the PBC to the WSM 22 to get the capacity for things like ribs or brisket similar.

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Another Kettle fan with SnS and don't forget the vortex.

Comment

I know I got a little long winded before, but the more I think about it, especially when I looked back at the original post from cdschwanz , I think the PBC is the best way for him to go. The price on the PBC is still at $299, which leaves a budget for accessories. $100 will get you about all the PBC accessories he could want, including a cover. The WSM base price for the 18.5" is up to $329 (tariffs?) now. I think that without spending money on a Gateway 30 gallon drum hanger kit, to let you hang stuff vertically in the WSM 18, that the PBC will trounce the WSM 18 in capacity. You won't fit a brisket in the WSM 18 without cutting it down and cooking on 2 levels, whereas you could hang that brisket in the PBC easily. The only thing I think a WSM 18 can cook more of is butts. If the WSM is under consideration, I think you need to go to the WSM 22 to have capacity that can beat the PBC, and that is $429, plus tax. Note that the WSM 22 does include the cover in the box, which they don't appear to include with the WSM 18, for whatever reason. The WSM 22 is the one I am considering for my next smoker.

The kettle is great, and I love it, but I sure cannot fit 8+ racks of ribs in my kettle, even with a rib rack.

If the primary use is smoking, I'm going to vote for the PBC now as the best bang for the buck. IF you are keeping it in a shed while in not use, the 18" foot print is great, and you don't even need to spend money on a cover. If you want to smoke AND grill, a 22" kettle is great, and you can add a SNS or other stuff to it later.

No one has addressed cold smoking, which was a question. I think you could "cold smoke" with the PBC by putting an Amazing Smoke Tube down in the bottom, if you want to get some smoke on some cheese or something that cold smoke is appropriate for.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                It used to be the rule that we don't discuss cold smoking here because it's a potentially serious health hazard. I David Parrish used to enforce it strictly when he was the Pit Boss. IDK if that's still the rule or not.
                Last edited by Dewesq55; September 30, 2019, 05:32 PM.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed Dewesq55 - I personally would never cold smoke anything, especially meat. I have a friend that is a cheese maker, and know that he has smoked some cheddar and other such cheeses - I think cheese would be safe. Meat, not so much.

With your goal to get a smoker here's my take @cdschwanz. I'm a Weber guy since 1978 currently with a Peformer / SNS but love the capacity of my PBC and the unique flavor profile it provides. Yes the PBC is stupid easy to use as long as you are not a specific temp control freak and can live with minimum temps in the 275 - 300 range. While the Weber / SNS does not have a lot of capacity it will cook at 225 all day long and is versatile enough for other cooks such as the ultimate reverse seared steak etc. The Weber / SNS has wheels for mobility, the PBC does not. Both my cookers work perfectly well without hundreds of dollars for temp control fans / temp controller add-ons.

Since you already have a gasser and your goal is for a mobile smoker, take a serious look instead at the Oklahoma Joes Bronco drum smoker. https://www.oklahomajoes.com/bronco-drum-smoker It has the capacity of the PBC, real temp control for low and slow cooks and wheels. It will hook and hang food or cook on a grate or both and it also features a heat diffuser plate, braided lid gasket and two position set up for the charcoal basket which reminds me of a certain $1600 Weber charcoal grill and at $299 won't bust your budget.

Any of these cookers will work well so it's just what fits best for you. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Comment

From what I read in ur post ur lookin’ for a smoker.
                You have a gasser and ur movin’ on to true Q
                best bang for the buck I think is the PBC.
                Had a WSM and moved on,,,, not a bad unit but I find the PBC delivers a better result with less tendin’ time
                Does it all almost effortlessly,,,,,butts ,bones ( pork,beef,chicken),brisket,,pork belly,,,,poppers,,you name it with great results
                this is my $2.73 opinion
                Im not askin’ you to send me the $$$$

Comment

You have a ton of great advice from everyone. I hav a 26" kettle with a SnS, a PBC, a 24" propane smoke vault and a weber gas grill. If I had to choose between them it would have to be the 26" weber kettle due to its versatility, after market toys and price. Sure I can cook more on my PBC and it creates great Food but it's just not as versatile IMO.

Comment

You don’t need to worry about insulation. Shielding from the wind is helpful. You’ll use more fuel in cold temperatures but you get a hotter, cleaner fire and my below freezing smokes always seem to turn out better.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, they all smoke fine in winter, no one *needs* an insulated smoker for winter use. Rain is the biggest culprit to smokers, far more than wind & snow.

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When I run my fan controller, and it starts to downpour, I can’t even see the temperature blip on the cooler temp chart unless I look at the fan response curve.

I seem to have more trouble with high winds than with water. I’m sure it depends on the geometry.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good point. I don't use a controller.

You can always make a rain cover from an aluminum drain pan for a water heater and a couple of bricks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F3FE0D53-73FB-42BC-9FAD-952139A8DB7E.jpeg
Views:	332
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	750048

Comment

• HawkerXP
                      HawkerXP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Is that one of them droids from the new Star Trek movie?

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It’s not the one you are looking for...move along.

Man, my heart really has been switching between the PBC and the Weber + SnS. Going into all of this I thought the PBC would end up winning out, but the versatility of the Weber 26" + SnS blew me away. Ultimately I doubt that I would ever be using either device up to their fullest capacity (half dozen pieces or more of meat at a time) so it's just looking to make sure I am not limited from the get go. But temperature control seems to be the big thing: is it a problem if the temperature range is 275-325F? Without the similar regulating airflow intake capabilities, would it get down to 225 as easily? I guess if the answer is "it doesn't really matter, it won't ruin the product" that's good enough. Even AR's own recipe for pastrami https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...e-katzs-recipe says to go to 225. What are the ramifications of going higher?

Lastly, looks like cold smoking is probably out. I didn't know there were so many health concerns to it. I don't think it would be worth any additional hassle.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The PBC doesn’t want to run below 275 in stock configuration. With a fan mod it can. The 26” kettle with slow n sear will hum along at lower temps. In fact it’s harder to get the large kettle to run above 350F.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here