Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The grill that started it all (probably for many)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The grill that started it all (probably for many)

In my social media memories this came up today. My wife thought I might enjoy grilling, I told her just don't spend a lot of money, I probably will not grill that much to justify anything more then a simple weber, One year later, I think I may have been wrong in my assumption of often I would use it.
    Attached Files

LOL my first was 36 years ago.... grill that is. Weber with none of that newfangled stuff on the underside.

Comment

My first Weber kettle was nearly 42 years ago ... nothing newfangled about it. No pics either (probably would have been a daguerreotype anyhoo )

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        For some of us the pics might be on the walls of caves.

If I were a decent artist I might try to create a cave painting of a Weber. Any takers?

Yup. Weber 18". Was 42 years ago. My new wife and I invited her parents and their best family friends over to our apartment for the inaugural run. Cooked chicken. Per the Weber instructions I was showing off how great it was with using minimal charcoal. That was a mistake! The charcoal died down, the chicken wasn't done, and it took quite some time to get it going again. We finally ate an hour or two beyond the planned time. I've learned a lot since then. My wife's parents have passed, but those best family friends still are doing well at 90 and 93 years old. We visited them recently for her 90th birthday and that chicken dinner always comes up for a good laugh.

Comment

Mine was probably about 35 years ago. And before that, my Mom had one.

Comment

My first was also the Weber with just the ash pan, 41 years ago. Christened it in our first house.

Comment

Heh, heh, heh, little did she know what you would become!

My first was a hibachi 47 yrs ago.
            Last edited by FireMan; September 13, 2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              I was just thinking a few days ago about some of the really cool things I own right now that are excellent kitchen gear, and cooks I have learned over the last year.

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              I forgot that dang little Hibachi I had at my apartment from 73-78. Left it for the next guy when we moved to the house. Thanks for the memories.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Hibachi....ate more iron off that rust bucket.

Mine was one of those cheap box store square charcoal rigs. 1973. Lit a long burning fire.

Comment

Mine was a grill I made in high school out of a trash can.

Comment

My old dad gave me his in 1972 to go back to college with. It sat next to the garage, it was partially rusted, didn't have an ash pan but it pretty much did what they do today. I just remember the steel handles and the 3 vents on the bottom. Oh yea and it was some sort of funky yellow green color. Got left when I left, so no idea what happened to it. Guess that was going on 48 years ago. Talk about a bunch of old farts.....

Was kinda like this one only beat up and dirty.....

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                  Richard Chrz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  those spring green webers are pretty sharp looking. But, from a down the road someday potential replacement part standpoint, I will always likely stay with classic black.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought it was butt ugly myself but that was back in the loud color days. I guess they are retro cool now. I just stick with black and red now-a-days.

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I got the British Racing Green to match my BGE.

i started the journey on a beat up hibachi someone left outside the beach house. The Weber was SUCH an upgrade.

Comment

I used my dad's 3 burner Weber gas grill (original mid 80's model - red with wood side table), and his charcoal grill/offset before moving to Alabama in 1988. First thing I bought for the tiny patio on my 1 bedroom apartment was a very crappy 2 burner gas grill from the Walmart or K-Mart around the corner from that first apartment. It was one of those models from Sunbeam or such, with an oblong sheet metal burner that would rust out within a year or two, even on a sheltered ground floor patio.

The next thing I remember was my first house (1992), and my dad brought over the charcoal grill/offset for my backyard (1.5 acres), and I had a Brinkman red bullet smoker too. I used nothing but charcoal, grilling and smoking, until about 2004, when a friend of the family died, and his widow gave me his 2002 year model Weber Genesis Silver A, barely used, in new condition, and I'm still using that grill as part of my ever growing fleet. All I know is that I hated gas grills because of the experience burning stuff up on the cheap ones, and replacing parts constantly. Weber made me a believer again. I still like charcoal best, but use gas about equally these days.

I’ve also had a few portable gas and charcoal grills for camping and boating, but don’t really count those...
                  Last edited by jfmorris; September 13, 2019, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• droopie69
                    droopie69 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have grill grates. They are great, lol except at least in my case they get greasy and smoke like a locomotive. I love the grill grates for steaks and boneless chicken.

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    droopie69 if they are smoking, that means you have not burned off the grease and oil from the previous cook. I turn my grill off right after done cooking these days, and next time I cook, the Grillgrates smoke for the 15 minutes or so that I am preheating the grill on high. That is also when I brush them and shovel out all the charred debris in the valleys using the grate tool. That said, I take them out about once a month and wash them off with the hose too.

• droopie69
                    droopie69 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I need to clean mine more often. Lol

This was my second and third cookers in the late 1970s. Had a regular 18" model and a larger 24". Anyone ever had an Old Smokey? I can remember grilling some good stuff on one of these, and the good news was they used to cost like $29.95 !!!

Comment

• MBMorgan
                    MBMorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep ... I’ve had an Old Smoky Electric for many years. It hardly ever sees any use ... but when it does, it cranks out some pretty decent chow.

• gcdmd
                    gcdmd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have two, a medium and a large. I've grilled many a steak and burger on the medium. I also have used the lower part of it as a heat source and put the large on top as a smoke chamber.

I also have a Redi-Smoke, their electric version, which I use for briskets and pork butts.

• mountainsmoker
                    mountainsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I never had an Old Smoky but a couple of buddies did and they put out some pretty good Q!

I started off with a Meco. Adjustable grate height and attached lid. I cooked on that for many years.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think that’s what I had back in the 90’s, from Walmart.
                    In incinerated a lot of food on it.
                    Last edited by FireMan; September 13, 2019, 05:42 PM.

My first charcoal grill was a cheap off brand hibachi and between that and cooking on an old charcoal grill my grandpa had and he had replaced the charcoal grate with a sheet of tin, I swore off charcoal for years because i could never get the airflow needed to get a good fire. Luckily, I figured out a few years ago it was the cookers, not the fuel source that frustrated me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here