Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I NEED another smoker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I NEED another smoker!

First off, I have not actually dropped off the edge of the earth, but I have moved closer to it. Someone may have noticed I have not posted much in...months. A like here and there has been about it. Part of it was just the stuff that keeps preachers busy at certain times of the year, but more was going on than that. My denomination does not have a bishop who moves pastors, it's a process that happens when a pastor decides its time to move, sometimes aided by a congregation who "encourages" them. That wasn't the case, but I did feel after 14 years it was time for a change. Part of it was turning 65 this year, and so I have moved to a parish where I should slow down a bit. Not ready to retire, but didn't necessarily want to be quite as involved as I was where I was. And that process takes time, while you continue to do what you have been doing.

I've only moved about 65 miles, but it's still been a very hectic month. The bulk of the move was done by professionals, but there were things that my son and I did, like the Genesis gasser and the OG. Still have a few things left to move, but if the weather cooperates, it should be done this week.

But one move wasn't enough. My new setting provides a parsonage, where we will be living most of the time. But next week we close on a house at the south end of the Iowa Great Lakes, primarily Lakes West Okoboji and East Okoboji and Spirit Lake. Big tourist draw in this part of the world, and my family has spent many enjoyable vacations there for decades. It'll be about 2 hours away, and will be our getaway/vacation/eventual retirement home. Close enough that we will be able to make the occasional same day or overnight trip. Both of us have jobs where a lot of what we do can be done where ever we are, as long as the internet is available.

So, this is the long way of not only explaining what has been going on in my life, but why I NEED another smoker/cooker. My wife looked shocked when I mentioned some time back that I would need another smoker for the new house. Well, maybe I could find one on Craiglist or Facebook Marketplace like I did my OG last year. Maybe.

Then, this past weekend she ordered an Amish made couch, loveseat, and 2 desks. 10 grand worth, which is what I figured it would run, but when the total came up it was about 3 grand more than she was figuring. Still ordered it. But as we were driving away, I slipped in the knife. "You didn't see why I needed another smoker, when I already had one, but why do we need another couch and loveseat. We already have those, in fact, we have a couple of those." So, now I have permission to get whatever I want.

OTOH, we did just spend 10 grand on furniture, I need a riding mower with snow thrower, and I also really need a boat with all those nice lakes. So I don't want to go overboard. Looking at getting another Grilla, probably the OG, although I would consider a Silverback. Also under consideration is one of the Blaz'n Grill Works Grand Slam. But I've also thought about getting a PBC, for the low end of the price range. Only problem with that is if we are doing a quick trip, and want some burgers. Although, I could probably bring the gasser to the lake, since the only time it's been used this year was by my son to do burgers for my grandson's birthday party.

Here's another option. Somebody where I'm living now has been advertising a Royal pellet grill. A couple of years old, and he hasn't run a full bag of pellets through it yet. He had $500 on it a couple of weeks ago, and now it's down to $400. I could get that and the PBC.

So, help me sort this out. What would you get, under my max of $1200 for the Grand Slam? Do you have other suggestions? How would you spend my money?

Congrats on the change, and the new home. I pray you enjoy the new position and congregation.

In the total budget figure of $1200, maybe you should consider a mid range gasser (I like Weber) and the PBC for smoking. That let’s you do quick cooks, and smoke when you feel the need. Or a gasser and the Silverbac, just to get something different to play with than your OG. I just don’t feel a pellet smoker, even the grand slam, will cover all your grilling needs.

Of course, a kettle can do it all too, and is cheaper. I love my Performer Deluxe. But a quick cook on a day trip to the lake house... you may not have the extra 30 minutes to deal with charcoal.

Comment

Congratulations to you and your family. I wish you great success and even better health.

I love my kettles so that’s always first on my mind.

i think there a lost cost CharBroil with a gold star rating from max. Kettle, chargrill and Blackstone???

Comment

Good morning Bogy . Good to hear from you! I hope you like your move and changes in life. As far as a cooker goes it's hard to say. Usually I like to buy what I really want or I have regrets so that would push me towards a Blaz'n Grill. On the other hand you could go with something really inexpensive like a Weber Kettle or PBC. In a couple months there will be some summer sales coming. Good luck with your decision and your move and have fun with it!

Comment

Being a preachers son, I have been there and done that a few times in my life. Dad, KenC52 recently retired out to the farm. He did the same as you, moving to a parish further out into the country in the twilight years of his ministry. Good luck to you, and congratulations. About the smoker setup. How big will the cooks and often will they be at you personal home?

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Most often it'll be just the 2 of us. Son and his family of 5 will actually be an hour closer to the house than us, so I expect we will be there with them fairly often. A couple of times a year we hope to have the whole family, which would be about 16 people, at the house. I've had the OG for close to a year now, including times when everyone has been together, and never had a problem with it not being big enough.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like you have a plan then. Maybe bring your Gasser like you stated.

Congratulations on the move, the new home, and the new parish. I know they are going to soon realize how fortunate they are with their new distinguished, and maybe slightly graying, pastor. And, they probably haven’t heard all your jokes and tales.🙂

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, after 14 years it was hard to come up with stuff they hadn't heard before. I can recycle now.

Hold on: Grill $1,200, Snow Blower, about $1,500, Riding Mower, $2,000 = $4,700. That means you can spend up to $8,000 on a boat and still have the moral high ground of not having spent as much as she spent on furniture. Enjoy!

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Tried to get the home seller to leave the boat he had in the garage, but I'm not sure I could have afforded the gas to run it. He's a plumber, I don't make that kind of money!

How much are you needing to smoke at once? Theres a ton of options if you want to modify a grill to also smoke using a thermostatic fan controller.

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            See above. Not a lot at one time, most of the time.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            In that case I’d pick a charcoal grill you like and mod it to smoke.

Glad to hear you are doing well, and good luck in your new parish. Good to hear from you.

How about this for an option - get the Royal if it is a good grill, the PBC and a smokey joe for when you just want a couple of burgers or brats. Everything covered for less that 1200, with some left over for some vittles, pellets and charcoal. Or even a premium kettle - Lowes and HD have them for $169.00 right now.

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            I have no idea of how good the Royall is, can't find a lot about it. Looks like a pellet stove company that branched out to grills. They are made in the USA. I may look at it and see what the construction looks like. To be honest, I've kind of been waiting to see if I wait another week to see if he would drop the price again.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            You can't ask me this kind of question cause I want every smoker cooker grill known to man. Good thing my wife has sense. Glad you are able to slow down a bit. The vacation home sounds great, good luck on finding a suitable boat!

Welcome back Padre, good to see you posting again. I've run out of advice on cooker, it's really like buying a new car, it's based on dollars and emotions. Go with what you need, not necessarily what you want. In the end it's not the cooker, but the cookie that counts !!! Good luck in your decision.

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I've talked both son and son in law into buying pellet smokers. Both bought Pit Boss, which wouldn't have been my choice, but they are happy with them, and turning out good food, so like you say, that's what counts. In a way, my son is somewhat limited in what he can buy, because he manages a farm/fleet type store that sells Traeger and Pit Boss. He needs to be able to tell people his own experience when he's selling them. At least they also sell Lumberjack pellets.

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            One of the GREAT, underrated comments of all time.

Miss your jokes! Glad you’re move went well.

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            I finally found the box with my docking station and all the assorted cables, keyboard, etc, so I can actually work...at least some of the time. I'll see what I can do about posting some jokes in the near future.

BTW, I had my first board meeting at one of the churches I'll be serving (one of 2 little churches), and question came up as to what I was going to smoke for the next church pot luck. They've seen my OG.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogy View Post
            BTW, I had my first board meeting at one of the churches I'll be serving (one of 2 little churches), and question came up as to what I was going to smoke for the next church pot luck. They've seen my OG.
            Oh yeah ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	3EAA4839-C97F-4F0A-B1F2-315543699C6F.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	697443

Comment

I understand the need for a few less deadlines. I retired after 17 years in the same congregation at 67. A simple solution could be a Weber 26” using the fuse or snake method for low and slow and a two zone fire. If wanted to later you add a SlowNSear.
              Last edited by LA Pork Butt; June 19, 2019, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Welcome back Bogy ! I have wondered where you have been the last few weeks. Since LA Pork Butt has suggested a Weber 26", I can't say enough about mine and highly recommend it, along with a SnS. With this combo you will have about $700 leftover out of your budget and then you can add the PBC or WSM or both!

Again, welcome back and may peace be with you!

Comment

• Bogy
                  Bogy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the suggestion. Wife and I spent the weekend in Omaha. We lived in Papillion 14 years ago, for four years. It was incredible, the street names were familiar, and there were some familiar sights, but there were a lot of changes in the intervening years.

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bogy We have resided in Papio for 20 years now. Quite a bit has changed over the years, namely the population has doubled in that time. The one thing that has stayed constant is the people, which is very uncommon these days. We live north of Cedardale, 2 blocks south of Papio Bay.

• Bogy
                  Bogy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We lived a little west of you, north of 360, on Horseshoe Circle. They've built a lot more houses between where we were and 360 over the past 14 years.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here