Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1956 GE Patio Cart for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1956 GE Patio Cart for sale

Here's the CL ad: https://kpr.craigslist.org/clt/d/ell...877727751.html

Here's the pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	00D0D_1meqbKNUK9x_600x450.jpg
Views:	1824
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	678860

Name:	00808_lsHS8sjIZMk_600x450.jpg
Views:	2246
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	678858

Name:	00F0F_iZxlR8IGF9D_600x450.jpg
Views:	1789
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	678859

Name:	00v0v_62E1UfsNXbX_600x450.jpg
Views:	1745
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	678861

The description:

Retro Partio Cart" Kitchen/BBQ cart
    1956 General Electric Partio Cart is a portable stove, oven, rotisserie, and charcoal BBQ grill, all in one. Two side cutting boards lift up for extra surface and are removable for cleaning. A barbeque on one side, a stove, range and griddle on the other. Serving shelves on both sides. It is about 29” wide x 50” tall and 52” long. There are 10” wooden serving stands on both sides which makes it about 49” wide in total. The charcoal grill can be elevated using the 2 revolving handles. There are no metal skewers included. It has two 10” diameter fixed wheels and 2 smaller ones that rotates 360 degrees. Has umbrella mounting hole in top center for an umbrella, do not have the umbrella. I do have outdoor custom cover.
    Features: Adjustable charcoal grate 2 Rotisserie spots, full Oven (220 Volts), 2 Burners, Griddle , 30’ 220V cord, umbrella mounting hole, 2 huge wood cutting boards, weighs at least 500 lbs, SS hardware, 1 electrical outlet, florescent light over the stove, custom cover.
    Aqua in color burners, grill, light, oven all in working condition.
    We did a bit of research. It seems that it was made for only a couple and possibly just one year, around 1959. It sold for about $650 and debuted on the Price is Right. Log into Google and search 1956 Partio Cart to see some other images of such a stove. We are asking $3,000 Buyer makes arrangements for pickup/shipping.

This thing is awesome but not not very functional by current stagards. This would make a great restoration / modification project. I can see modern internals with a vintage outer shell.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably wasn’t very functional by 1959 standards either, or else everyone would have one. Still, a beautiful retro survivor.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca Or not affordable, I read they sold for $800 in 1960, which would be about $6600 today. Or another perspective, a car was under $3000 and a house about $12,000.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Yikes!

Very neat.

Comment

Found two more on eBay, one in Portland, the other in Moraga

Find the best Barbecues, Grills & Smokers at the lowest price from top brands like Weber, Char-Broil, Blackstone & more. Shop our vast selection of products and best online deals. Free Shipping for many items!

Comment

Promo photo

Name:	GE-partio-cart-1960-11.jpg
Views:	1667
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	678906

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          I had no idea that DavidNorcross and WayneT are that old, but there they are in that pic cooking in their fancy duds.

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          Jim White I am as old as dirt and twice as deep…

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          Jim White If I had any sense of style, I’d be wearing something that matches that umbrella.

So it’s an electric oven with 2 electric eyes and an electric griddle in the front, basic charcoal grill with 2 rotisserie spits in the back. With what looks like a 240 VAC plug. Designed to be used outdoors, and made in 1959?

SHOCKING. As in literally shocking. Deadly shocking. Better hope the grounding is solid. Also might want to consider a GFCI 240 volt breaker for that patio outlet. Oh and you will need a patio outlet for 240, which is rather...shall we say unconventional.

Without that 240 VAC outlet, it’s just a big basic open grill. And an expensive one at that.

Probably why the product line was so short lived

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          It was the 50s and 60s, cars didn't have seat belts, children car seats were unheard of, everybody smoked, then we discovered drugs. Hell, it's a wonder the human race is still in existence! ;-)

• SmokeyGator
          SmokeyGator commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb even in the 1950s it would be unusual to have a 240VAC outlet in your backyard. You may have one in your kitchen, but considering people were still hanging clothes outdoors to dry it was probably uncommon to have 240 in your laundry room. It would be unnecessary.

Even today my patio only has 120VAC outlets. I could have 240VAC run to the patio....but why? I would need to hire an electrician.

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Bear in mind this was a high end appliance costing $800, a new VW Beetle was $1500. So it wasn't your average Joe purchasing these, rather someone who could afford whatever it took to impress the neighbours. For example, I read that Dwight Eisenhower had one, sold to a collector for $20,000. Which not only makes my point, but shows some things never change...

I'll see if we can get one mounted in the company jet!

Comment

Pretty cool piece of Americana. I can see Ricky Ricardo grilling Cuban chicken and plantains while Lucy and Ethel smoke cigarettes and play gin rummy on a little card table.

Comment

Is that a Marshall or Fender head on top?

Comment

Here we are in 2022. My brother got one of these for a great price a few years ago. It sat in his shop until recently, but he and his son got it fixed up for Thanksgiving. First of all, it's beautiful! It's a perfect addition to the mid-century house that has turquoise in the indoor kitchen.

He rotisserie-grilled the turkey in one Weber kettle and a pork roast in another, so I didn't even see the Q side. But I used the other side for my part of dinner - the stovetop burner for potatoes in an old-school pressure cooker for mashing, and the oven for roasting brussels sprouts. It worked really well! A second kitchen outside came in really handy since we were cooking for 20.

BTW, the comments about 240V, grounding, GFCI, etc are definitely true. My brother is an electrician so he's not going to skip any of the safety steps.

I'd be really happy to have one of these.

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to The Pit.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here