Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill vs’ Primo Kamado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill vs’ Primo Kamado

Just can’t decide between a Primo or the Woodwind. Was all set to get a Primo then I saw the Woodwind with the sear attachment. I just can’t see not having something for quick last second grilling and I really want a smoker also. I’ve seen the Primo so I know how well built it is but have never seen a Woodwind up close. Im concerned about the quality of the Woodwind.

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club!

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. It’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, you can change it by simply visiting https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Now to the question at hand:

I haven't seen the Woodwind up close either. But I can tell you the Primo is a beast. That grill/smoker can do anything. We'll see if any Woodwind owners will chip in with their wisdom.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois

Comment

Welcome to the posting side of The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help.

Comment

I was looking at the Woodwind. It seems to be pretty well built. That being said The Primo is a beast it in IMOP can do things that a pellet pooper could never. Personally I would go with the Primo.
          Good luck with whichever you decide on.

Comment

The problem is you are comparing two entirely different types of cookers .Three really, since the Woodwind is 2 in 1.

If you want a Kamado style cooker, the Primo in my opinion can't be beat. But its a kamado. Plan on an hour to get to the cooking temp for long smokes. Plan on taking 30 minutes to heat a chimney of coals for a sear at high temp. That's just the nature of charcoal cookers, and kamadoes.

Pellet smokers are set and forget like an oven, fill the hopper with pellets, plug it in, and set a temp. With the side burner, you can sear a steak very quickly at 900 degrees. The Woodwind is probably not the BEST pellet smoker around, but its a good one, and has that unique side burner to solve the searing issue all pellet smokers have.

I have a friend down in Orlando who got a Woodwind about 18 months ago, and he loves it so much he sold his Kamado Joe, as he didn't touch it for 6 months after he got the Woodwind.

Personally, I have space for multiple cookers, and HAVE multiple cookers (offset, charcoal, gas), and would get a Primo for charcoal cooking, and if I wanted to do real quick cooks and sears, get you a 2 burner Weber Spirit 200 series or something like that.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Next time I fire it up I should time it so that I can tell you for sure. With my Primo, I keep the tank full of lump. I now nestle a weber starter cube into the coals and turn on the fan with the thermostat set to my desired temp. After that, it's hands off. I'll make a note of how long to get to 250 and 400 next time. But I feel like it's a lot quicker than an hour.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              I've never had to wait for an hour to get my kamado up to temp. That just seems to be way too long.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Use a torch and you can have the Kamado to searing temps in minutes. For a smoke it usually takes about 10-30 mins. Depending on how cold it is out side.

Yup on the Primo. Nothin against the pellet gun, just the Primo does so much more. Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Comment

I'll follow up my own post and say this. You are a charter member, but this is your first post, and we have no clue what cookers you already have. Maybe you should tell us what you have now, so we can advise you better.

Comment

• Ribot
                Ribot commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a Weber Summit for grilling which I use a lot but even though it has a small box for smoking and a rotisserie set up it’s not very effective for smoking. I bought a PBC and have done chicken and pork butts but haven’t produced what I consider great ribs from it. I thought I’d be able to use the PBC for some charcoal grilling but I have never been able to get it hot enough to even come close to getting a good sear. And I can’t keep the Summit if I get either the Primo or Pellet.

I don't know anything about pellet grills but I love my Primo. As I mentioned above I use it with a controller.
              Last edited by Attjack; February 15, 2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Primo is calling' my name!!!!!

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker It shall be yours!

I use my pellet cooker and my Kamado each a couple times a week just because I Can

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Me too!

Primo is my go to grill.

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback and welcomes everyone. Great to be finally active since I have only really followed the great conversations in the past.

Comment

• Fire Art
                  Fire Art commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for your years of support!

Welcome! Good luck on your search.

Comment

Personally, I would get the Primo any day. With the Primo, you can go indirect, direct and smoke with ease. Not to mention the flavor is fantastic and you can add any exotic wood you want. You are not held to what ever flavors your local store has.

If you want totally hands free, you can get a controller to make it set and forget. I do it all the time with my Egg and you never have to worry about moving parts jamming or pellets bridging. As long as you use quality lump, you are fine. I have never had a flame out while using my controller. And I routinely do cooks over 24-hrs with fuel to spare.

The Primo is one of the next rigs I am going to buy for sure.

Comment

• Steve B
                    Steve B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    WHAT? No LSG? 😂😂😂

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "The Primo is ONE of the next rigs I am going to get"

Steve B LOL, not the only!

• Steve B
                    Steve B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spinaker 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I am going to recommend a Primo if you can only have one. But I just got a pellet and I go to it first, its just so easy. That being said I wouldn't have a grill with electronics being my only grill. Blackouts, malfunctions, the apocalypse, the primo can outlast it all. That being said I prefer the experience on my pellet and the flavor on my wsm/pbc. But a Kamado is substantial, a great pizza cooker, performs like a champ on minimal fuel when its cold outside. Im no help smh

Comment

• bten
                    bten commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The propane grill section does not require electricity, only propane. It can be used during a power outage situation.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here