Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas vs Charcoal vs Stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas vs Charcoal vs Stick

Gas vs Charcoal vs Stick
    For those of you who have cooked a brisket for example on all 3 or any two, I would like to know if there is any "significant" difference in the end result in the cooked meat? If one used the same wood the same method / approach would it be possible to differentiate which hunk of meat was cooked in which cooker. If so what notable tell-tale signs would associate the cooked meat with a particular cooker? Is there a texture difference, more or less bark for example?

I have only done L&S cooks on a pellet grill or charcoal grill, and yes there is a difference. The texture is the same because that is an effect of time and temperature (assuming no crutch), but definitely a difference in flavor and bark. Charcoal gives me more bark, though not "tremendously so", and a smokier finish than the pellet rig. I will alternate grills depending on what I feel like or what profile I'm looking for. If I had to choose 1 grill it would be the WSCG or a W22 w/SnS.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I've only used my vertical gasser and I have to admit my bark does not seem to compare with some of the picks here. Got me a kettle hence the questions.

I have done all three. Gas won't give you the smoke ring that you will get with the charcoal and wood. That matters to me because we eat with our eyes also. Otherwise, all three will get you to a pretty similar result. A bit lighter on the smoke with gas, though.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I seem to get a decent smoke ring from my gas vertical cabinet. and a good smoke flavour. Then again it's all I've tried. Will compare results now that I have a kettle.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      i get a tremendous one when i cook them on either of my two gassers. almost identical on sti k burner rig or charcoal setup. smoke ring that is.

I've done all three and would gladly take an Ole Hickory gas smoker for the rest of my days. Throw some wood in there at start-up, maybe a little more 5 or so hours into the cook, other than that just let her roll.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Ole hickory as in being a brand name or hickory wood on gasser. I've been happy with my gas results. First Kettle cook on the go. I've a few skinless chicken breasts for smoked chicken mayo toasted sammies.

I haven't used the gasser for pork butt - it's a small infrared mainly for searing, veggies, steaks, chops etc.

I have used the BGE (lump+chunks) and the KBQ (sticks) for butts. The BGE does a nice job. The KBQ is just superior - the color you get is amazing, and the flavor is just right for our family.

Don't do brisket often enough to have much to say. It was just fine on the BGE, as are chuckies. Have done short ribs on the KBQ, and again, super!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd give almost anything to own a KBQ or even a test drive or few on one.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg - it'd be a _lot_ cheaper to ship from the US than a classic stick burner. But I'm sure there are builders in SA who could take care of you.

Ive not done a brisket on all three, but I have done pork on them. And even on a pellet pooper.

In terms of smoke flavour/profile: Stick & charcoal are close. Well, I’ve managed to get charcoal a bit more close. If that makes sense. Gas had decent smokiness, but that was not in a gas smoker but in my Summit Platinum gasser. So that meant replenishing the little smoke boxes multiple times. The pellet grill had the least amount of smoke flavour but I’ve since added a smoke tube and tweaked the way I use it. (That one belongs to my father so part of that is on me I’m sure.)

In terms of bark: It’s much the same though the Summit gasser never really acquired an impressive bark. That may be the nature of the beast, along with my lack of smoking skills when that was attempted. (I’m leaning mostly toward the former. LOL)
    After a few tries, I was able to get a better bark on the pellet cooker...but not like I can with charcoal or wood. Both of those are much easier to get an "impressive" bark than either the gasser or pellet. YMMV

For ease of use: Charcoal hands done. Once you’ve got your system & setup down its simple. Pellet would be next, but I can’t seem to dial that in to a true set & forget setup. (Again, not mine so that could be partly on me.) Gas (at least of the grill w/ smoke box variety) and stick are much the same in that they need babysitting.

BUT...FWIW...I’ll eat food that comes off of any of them.

Comment

I’d rank gas below charcoal or logs. Getting a smoke ring using gas is harder, because the combustion gasses are different. It can be done though, using a lot of wood chips or "cheating" and using curing salts to brine (just don’t brine too long or your brisket is pastrami).

A neighbor had a gas smoker. He got rid of it for a pellet grill. He said it was a fight to maintain the temperature. It just never seemed to want to remain stable. So there was a lot of adjusting the flame. Results were good, just more tending was required. Masterbuilt (and maybe some others) have a thermostat controlled gas smoker, but I haven’t used one or know anyone who has.

Anyhow for me I went for charcoal. I really can’t do a stick burner. Well I could, it just wouldn’t get much use. I don’t have a good log supply. And open fires present other problems (like for my palmetto thatched chickee hut roof). And with something like the KBQ, I couldn’t grill in it. Also I don’t have natural gas to my house and so I would have to use 20 pound propane tanks. I don’t know how many long cooks I would get from a tank. Could be costly.

Charcoal was the "better than gas and while not the same as whole logs, it’s close" option.

If I could pull it off I would like a true stick burner though. The KBQ would be the best option there, I think. I don’t have a very large yard. As long as it didn’t rain and I had the log supply everything would be great.

Comment

Although I sold mine last spring, I still think cooking a brisket on a stick burner is tops. I guess it's the way the smoke and combustion gasses roll across the meat that gives it the best bark and deep smokiness. I've just gotten to a point in life where feeding logs into the fire box over an extended period is just not for me, I simply don't have the time.

I've come pretty close to the same with charcoal and wood chunks, especially with a vertical smoker. About the only thing I use gas for is grilling, so it's not even close to the same. Never have cooked on a gas smoker so no comment there.

Pellets work well but it's a totally different result then live fire. Meats come out more mahogany in appearance, bark is okay but not as pronounced, and the biggest difference (and personal let down) is lack of a deep smokey profile. My wife and I both like a lot of smoke (in fact my daughter won't eat half of what we think is awesome!!) so pellet cooking, although enjoyable, has become our least favorite.

Comment

I've never user a gas smoker, but have smoked a brisket on both an offset with wood, and a kettle with charcoal and wood chunks. There is a difference, but I attribute some of that to the increased airflow in the offset leading to better bark build up. Both results have been great.

Comment

I agree I agree & I agree - Airflow impacts Smoke Movement impacts Bark & Ring. Comes down to the cooker. As far as sticks versus charcoal I've never done either, I always mix the two pretty heavily until the cook is > ~ 165F then I maintain cooker temp with KBB no matter how long.

If you want BARKING bark, go Santa Maria. If you don't need to be Joe versus the Volcano, I suppose in some circumstances using a gasser for something may be OK. Maybe...

What I use:

Mesquite Charcoal & Big Mesquite Wood Chunks on BEEF
            KBB & Big Hickory Chunks on PORK
            KBB & Oak Sticks on CHICKEN
            KBB & Big Apple Wood Chunks on Delicates, like FISH - somethings cedar planked, like TUNA, somethings CI Wok'ed, like scallops
            Floating Grates for the veggies and grilled fruits, etc.

The cherry I have left over is not getting used.

I use CI griddles over the burning fuel, or a Blackstone if I need more surface. OK - I just use briquettes for hot dogs...

Comment

• Gunderich_1
              Gunderich_1 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have used Pecan with very good results as well.

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              Gunderich_1 I'd like to try Pecan - I only see it in chips.

• Gunderich_1
              Gunderich_1 commented
              Editing a comment
              JGo37 you can find chunks at Walmart and Lowes during the summer. I'm not sure about now because I haven't looked recently. They are out there though.

I have cooked many many many briskets on all 3. I use one of my verticle gassers most of the time. Easier to maintain temp and super predictable as to when to add water or wood to the pan. Charcoal gives a darker bark, not better, just different. Wood gives more smoke, again not better just different. Smoke ring the same on all 3. Like i said, i use one of my verticle gassers most of the time out of convience and cleanup. If cooking more than 5 briskets i ho with charcoal as it holds more. Stick burner is used whe i am feeling nostalgic. Or i am wanting a heavy smoke (and i mean heavy, i have learned how to really pound in the smoke with both the gassers and charcoal set up too)

Comment

I’ve cooked charcoal and stick burners; been with friends cooking gas or pellet. Real wood in a stick burner has - hands down - the best smoke flavor, the best bark, and the best texture. It’s more work, but well worth it in the end!

Comment

I couldn’t decide. That’s why I have one of each, and am looking to add a few more cookers. Mr. Bones is basically setting the example for where I want to be........ Hello everybody, my name is RickyBobby, and I have MCS.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Too Funny, ya should have learned from my bad example, Brother!

Have Fun, Cook Great Food!

• JGo37
                  JGo37 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So you go to an MCS therapy group too... Nice!

I can't even USE another cooker - but I still check CL! And.. I think I'll buy that well-reviewed Char Griller Gasser, but I can't find it anywhere close to $ 200.00.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here