Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese cherry and Black birch wood question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese cherry and Black birch wood question

Does anyone use either of these types of wood for smoking?
    Are they even good to use?
    I’m asking because I just did some extensive tree trimming and have a decent pile of these woods.
    Any insight would be much appreciated.
    Do I let them season or should I just toss them out?
    Thanks. Steve B.

Japanese cherry looks to be pretty closely related to our north american ones, so should be usable. The black birch looks good too. Here's a chart that includes the burning characteristics of their cousins, cherry and birch:

Heat Content – measures the embodied energy.  Higher is better. Sparks Produced – self-explanatory.  “Few” indicates low pitch content. Heavy Smoke – measures the thickness of smoke upon heating.  “No” is best. Coaling Quality – measures propensity to form durable coals.  We want “Excellent.”

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ed.

Ya might want to save the cherry for Asian style cooks... ;

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here