Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Xmas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Xmas!

Wasn't sure were to put this...but "More Than One Fuel" sorta made sense... Or will in a second. ;-)

I'm looking to outfit a couple people with smokers. (Two for sure, possibly three.)

Anyway, seeing as I'm looking at multiples...and my money tree has root rot...I need to use that B word.
    That's right, I have a budget. shudder LOL

So here's the deal, what are YOUR recommendations for a NOVICE in the sub-$500 range. (Yeah, I'd love to get them each a WSCGC but I'm crazy, not insane. ;-) And then there's that whole root rot thing.)

And I put this here because...well, because the fuel source is less important than the smoker. If that makes any sense.
    So I don't care if it's charcoal, pellet, gas, unicorn patties...whatever.

THE criteria is that it MUST be useable by a novice to get tasty results.
    As some may know, I'm a classically trained chef...so I'm kinda biased when it comes to "simple." Things that I see as a breeze can make others cringe.

Ease of use is a MAJOR priority...but NOT at the expense of taste, otherwise what's the point?
    So I need you help.

Sooooo....what's it gonna be?

I believe the standard for that would be the W22 w/SnS or the PK360. Oops, the PK is over $800, but still fits the rest of the criteria.

Comment

You said "smoker", so I'll say PBC. If there is potential for grilling, too ... then I agree with CaptainMike .

Comment

Definitely a PBC for smoking. Very little to fuss with during cooks. And at $300 shipped, you'll have $200 for fun accessories. Especially the all important thermometers. An obvious must especially for beginners. If you do a Weber kettle with a SnS and DnG, you won't have much left for a good thermo. Plus I think there is a bit more of a learning curve with that compared to a basically set and forget PBC.

Comment

For smoking, I would go with the Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC). If they want to grill AND smoke, a Weber 22" kettle and a Slow 'N Sear. In both cases a good thermometer is important. The PBC is going to be the easiest smoker for a novice, and Noah Glanville has tons of how-to videos and recipes to cook just about anything on the pitbarrelcooker.com website.

On a budget I would look at the Maverick XR-50 and PT-55 on this web page, so that you cover both leave in and instant read thermometer needs:

Top quality digital grill thermometers perfect for meat and BBQ. Shop all available grilling thermometers from SnS Grills.

Then I would head over to get a PBC at:

We have created the versatile Pit Barrel Cooker as the original vertical drum smoker and charcoal grill. Get your barrel smoker and charcoal grill today.

Assuming your budget is $500 per person, and not $500 total, the PBC route puts you at:

Pit Barrel Cooker - $299
          PBC Cover. - $34.95
          Maverick XR-50. - $79.95
          Maverick PT-55 - $39.95
          Charcoal Chimney $15

TOTAL = $468.85

That gives them a pretty idiot proof setup.

If you want to go the Weber kettle route instead, you are looking at:

Weber Kettle Premium 22" (I like this one best for its ash management) $149.00
          Cover $36.59
          Chimney $15
          Slow 'N Sear 2.0 $126.95
          Maverick XR-50 $79.95
          Maverick PT-55 $39.95

TOTAL.= $447.44

So as you can see, both options are similar in price. The PBC option is probably the easier to use, but limited more to smoking. The Kettle + SNS option is a little more flexible, but can cook less when smoking.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I will help you out surfdog - the one you get for me can skip the thermometers, as I already have all that stuff, hahaha.

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes @RonB...I am living proof of that axiom. LOL Wait, what?

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris Good to know. Whew! LOL

Weber 26” with the SnS. I use this setup way more often than my smoker or gas grill. It grills awesome and with the SnS transforms into a pretty darn good smoker.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed, but the only issue is that the 26" kettle and SNS don't leave room in his $500 budget for the needed thermometers, chimney and a cover.

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree but the 26 with SnS will give them more bang for the buck as a base system. They can build from that.
            The WSM also comes to mind if they only want a smoker.

• johnsteen
            johnsteen commented
            Editing a comment
            Just did this for a brother in law. 26 inch kettle and SNS. Giving him a used charcoal chmney, an older retired thermo insta read, and took advantage of Dave's deal on the new 4 probe Maverick. Just under $500.

surfdog Here's another thought. How about something like a Camp Chef Smoke Pro pellet smoker? You can get some models of those for under the $500 budget, and they are pretty highly rated here. These two are both $449 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-PG2...+chef+smokepro

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Smo...+chef+smokepro

I've seen the Camp Chef stuff on sale different times of year as well, so you may find it cheaper than $449. Most of their pellet smokers can add an optional gas side grill accessory for searing as well.

The above models control their own temperature digitally, and include a probe that goes in the meat, so you can tell the meat temperature as you cook.

Here's our own Max Good 's review of one of the Smoke Pro units:

https://amazingribs.com/smoker/camp-...-smoker-review
          Last edited by jfmorris; July 30, 2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• bten
            bten commented
            Editing a comment
            I have one of the low price Camp Chef pellet smokers (the SE Model) and I can attest to the fact that it really is easy to use and makes great bbq. The only negative, is that it is not a grill.
            While I can slow cook ribs, brisket and chicken, It does not get over about 450 degrees. It does make good burgers, but they won't have grill marks.

• Randy-Phx
            Randy-Phx commented
            Editing a comment
            If you buy from Dick's Sporting Goods you can get free shipping and 20% off. Of course, then you need pellets.

A standard PK grill is less than $400 and will last at least 20 years. You could get a Maverick 732 and a charcoal basket for it for less than $500. It is really a very versatile grill. Easy to set up for smoking as well.

Comment

Ok...so far, we're at a Weber 22/26 WITH and an added SNS OR a PBC...
            Covers are not a huge consideration in California...but indeed something to ponder. (Bah, they're on their own! LOL).

Over the past couple years I've given them Thermapens or ThermoPops...but a leave in thermometer is something to also consider. Hmmm, I could upgrade my ThermoQs and give ‘em those... LOL

I guess its coming down to easy smoker (PBC) or versatility (Weber)... Much to consider. That’s why I’m doing this now and not November. ;-)

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              If you are in California, do you have burn bans that may prevent use of charcoal but allow use of an "electric" pellet smoker? I know some of our members on the west coast have had such restrictions recently. I would leave them on their own regarding stuff like covers and mitts for grabbing hot stuff too!

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris we don't routinely ban cooking fires statewide. Local ordinances vary, but the courts have held that cooking and warming fires are legal and therefore not subject to bans. Now, if one of those fires escapes control and causes damage then we have a whole new ballgame. And it does happen....

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris Not anywhere that I'm aware of... As CaptainMike said, occasionally there's a local restriction...but those generally refer to FIRES. Bon fires, trash/leaf burning...that sort of thing. With the exception of multi-unit apartments, cooking is not really an issue.

While the PBC might be easier to use initially, kettles aren't that much more difficult to manage but offer a bit more versatility. Just my 2 cents. Again.

Comment

CaptainMike It was tstalafuse in this thread that had a complete outdoor cooking ban. I thought it was California, but turns out it was Colorado:

I am currently in an area that has banned all outdoor wood/charcoal fires (enclosed or not) due to extreme fire danger from no rain and high winds. This also includes pellet

All those "C" states look alike... hahaha.

Comment

With a PBC, you don't get 'hooked' - there's a light at the end of the tunnel. With a kettle, you're in upgrades for life. May as well buy a boat.

Comment

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MUCH truth to that!! LOL Many moons ago I had a simple gasser...and outgrew it... I then purchased a Weber Summit Platinum D6...and it has served me well. But then I decided that while I "could" get some smoke going in the Summit...a smoker would be a better choice. Enter the 22" WSM...along with the Thermoworks ThermaQ. (I now have 2 of those.) ...

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Was considering adding a kettle to the mix when Weber announced the Summit Charcoal. O_o A thing of beauty...the kettle I "needed" ;-) and a smoker rolled into one. That came home and the WSM found a good home. I've since added a griddle. Yeah...I've got it BAD! LOL

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                Ok...so far, we're at a Weber 22/26 WITH and an added SNS OR a PBC...
                Covers are not a huge consideration in California...but indeed something to ponder. (Bah, they're on their own! LOL).

Over the past couple years I've given them Thermapens or ThermoPops...but a leave in thermometer is something to also consider. Hmmm, I could upgrade my ThermoQs and give ‘em those... LOL

I guess its coming down to easy smoker (PBC) or versatility (Weber)... Much to consider. That’s why I’m doing this now and not November. ;-)
                Don't forget that you can get a Camp Chef Smoke Pro in the same ballpark, and it has a meat probe built in.

Sounds like you have thermometers covered!

I guess it comes down to knowing the individuals involved. The Weber/SNS combo is certainly more flexible as you can both grill AND smoke. My Weber Performer is my most used grill.

If they come here for advice, or you just send them to the Adrenaline BBQ website, they will learn how to use the Weber and SNS for both low and slow, reverse sear, and high heat indirect or two zone cooking. I guess it depends on what they want to cook. I just seem to read more "it always tastes amazing" reviews from smoke newbies with the PBC. As Max Good says in the PBC review, it seems to have a "rabid cult following". I do personally see using the PBC as a grill being a lot more of a pain, since its only 18.5" and that grate is recessed way down in there. I would not want to flip burgers on it.

As much as I like my SNS, another less expensive "charcoal management" option for the kettle is the Vortex, which works a little differently, but also seems to have a following. I don't think it is nearly as good as the SNS for long cooks though.

Comment

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wonder if the "it always tastes amazing" reviews from smoke newbies with the PBC...is because it's great...or they've just not made good smoked food prior. Nothing against it as I've not seen one in person. My father, uncle, and a cousin all have pellet cookers, and while they do a decent job, I find the need to add a smoke tube when I've used them because the smoke is too subtle otherwise.

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not that everything NEEDS, or should be, very smoky...but without a tube I find it too subtle. Probably do to the efficiency of the pellets..? IDK Even my father, who was quite happy with his pellet cooker, was even happier once I delivered a smoke tube. Still, the Smoke Pro is something to consider. Can they do a LONG smoke?

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  surfdog I think all the Smoke Pro models under $500 have an 18 pound pellet hopper, and from talking to my friend with the Woodwind, I want to say that they use about a pound per hour for a smoke at 225F. Plenty of fuel for an overnight smoke, and you can refill in the morning. Or smoke while at work during the day.

surfdog I think if you are a kettle/Summit charcoal user (source of advice), and think the gift recipients are willing to work with charcoal, then the Kettle and SNS combo may be the way I would go. If you think they are people who are not going to want to hassle with using a chimney to start charcoal, and dumping ashes afterwards, maybe the cheap pellet grill is the way to go.

As someone else said, there are a lot of options for the kettle once you get one. I do a lot of smoking using charcoal + wood chunks using the SNS, and can fit up to 5 racks of ribs using a rib rack, a 14 pound brisket, 2 pork butts, or 2 spatchcocked chickens when cooking indirect with the SNS. I reverse sear steaks (6 to 8 at a time) using the SNS as well, searing them 2 at a time over the "sear zone" of the SNS. I also have a full set of Grillgrates and use that to direct grill burgers, chicken wings, hotdogs, sausage, seafood, and so on. I have a Drip 'N Griddle and use it to actually griddle and fry stuff on my kettle.

The possibilities are literally ENDLESS with a kettle, contrasted to the PBC. The PBC is really not much different than your WSM you got rid of, minus the water pan, and adding hanging as an option for cooking the meat. It's a smoker, and less a grill. As a smoker it does have a capacity advantage over the kettle+SNS option.

Comment

surfdog you need to grab two of the red kettles on sale over in this thread:

$100 is a great price on the premium kettle with the ash catcher. That ash catcher makes a huge difference in how much I use my kettle. I had an old 1997 kettle with the 3 separate vents on the bottom, and I would pick it up and dump it upside down to get the ashes out, and half the time the legs would all fall off. It was a pain.

Comment

• Scout789
                    Scout789 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Been there done that too, JF!

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep Scout789 - when I got my Performer with the ash catcher, I finally enjoyed using the kettle, and I've used it a lot more. I had a love/hate relationship with the old one that let me not to use it as much.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here