Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to Find Natural Gas burner to broil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to Find Natural Gas burner to broil?

Hey Guys, i am building a broiler for my outdoor patio. It will be a broiler box design with drip pan 18" under grill to catch my steak drippins!! Problem my gas supply is natural gas. Anybody out here eve built an element to burn Natural gas? thanks Joey in Oxofrd MS

Can't give you specific pointers, but I'm sure they're out there. Lots of natural gas burner/adapter kits available for gassers.

Comment

you would think but i have google to death " how to build a natural gas burner" or likes of dozen of ways. 99% is Propane.. My patio is stubbed for natural gas and i already fry and boil with my natural gas Cajun Boiler. I could flip it over but need more flame coverage. I have access to free welding because of my job but needs plans on how to build a natural gas burner....frustrating.......thought about a deflector plate to spread the 10" circle flame? anyone have any experiences with spreading flames?

Comment

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are after. You mention you are looking for a natural gas "burner". There are lots of NG burner heads on the market, here is just one example on Restaurant Supply.....

NG Burner

There are also NG regulators, hoses and fittings out there as well. I assume you are building the grill box, what are you going to do for grates? Quite honestly, once you buy all the bits and pieces and try building it yourself, you might be better off buying something off the shelf. But that's me, you may want to do it for the sake of the accomplishment. Here's one that's fairly reasonable, just a suggestion....

NG Drop In

I think jfmorris has some experience with this sort of thing. Perhaps he can weigh in.
        Last edited by Troutman; June 13, 2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Try Googling 'convert propane to natural gas' A simple conversion kit will do. Look this over. Or you can incorporate something like this. Finally, try Googling 'natural gas burners' and purchase a burner made for natural gas.

Comment

Thanks guys for chiming in... let me re explain. My welders are building me an oven for broiling. I need an overhead element that will burn Natural gas. I have an extra element now i use for boiling and frying( exact same one Comfortably linked...I love it but it is 8"" ? round.....I need or will built one that can broil 8 ribeyes lets say 18" by24".....it will be a knock off of Cajun Broiler Inc new propane model. ( which IMO is poorly made).......so in short.........can i take 4 22" square tubing and drill holes and BAM i have a natural gas burner?

or

Can i fabricate some type of shield and place over my 8"" element and spread the flames to cover my 18 by 24 area?
            Last edited by Joebuck; June 13, 2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I'd suggest finding a place that repairs stoves and ovens and see them about buying just the element for a gas broiler oven. Then have your oven built so the part would fit. While you are at it, pick their brains on how to do it safely.

Comment

OK so its a salamander you are looking to build, or even a double broiler which is really kick ass. Again I would refer you to the Restaurant Supply site I mentioned above and look at the broiler heads you can buy off the shelf. Making one long and narrow, or in an H-pattern would be ideal. Anyway, this is way out of my wheelhouse of knowledge, good luck in finding a solution!!

Comment

Joebuck, Troutman shouted my name into the Interwebs and sucked me into this thread... and I have little to contribute. I'll have a say anyway, as usual!

The primary difference in most outdoor cooking appliances for LP/Propane versus Natural Gas is in the pressure regulator, with one often NOT needed in natural gas applications as the house has a regulator outside at the gas meter, and all the gas in your pipes in the house is already at a pretty low pressure. The second difference is in the orifice where gas enters the burner assembly. Natural Gas requires a larger orifice than propane, and most gas grills or patio burners can be converted over to natural gas by simply drilling out the orifice.

I've replaced the broiler burners in some indoor natural gas burners, but never gone looking for one that wasn't a part for the oven in the house I had at the time. Currently I have a natural gas cooktop and an electric oven, so its been 15-20 years since I touched a natural gas broiler burner.

As others have said, look for a gas broiler element of the right size, and it should be available in both LP and NG versions - many houses use LP in areas not served by NG after all.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. Unfortunately there is not much or any on how to make your own NG broiler element. Tons of Propane to NG conversion etc. I guess trial and error . I 'll have my welders weld me a "H" config element out 1" tubing and space out my Cajun Boiler NG jets and see what happens!!!!!

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

All of the shiny, stainless steel, outdoor kitchen manufacturers make NG burners.

Comment

If you're trying to make your own burner from scratch, head down to your local Lowes/Home Depot and look at the broiler burners on their gas ovens. Measure holes, angles, number, etc. Better yet, just buy a replacement burner from Repair Parts Clinic or similar. Trial and error with gas sounds highly hazardous to your health.

Comment

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That was my thought. Buy the actual burner part that goes in an oven. Last natural gas oven I had had a fairly sizable burner in the broiler section that put a solid sheet of flame above whatever you put down there to broil.

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I third that thought, you don’t want to get it wrong ...

Those replacement burners are $250 a piece. I need two.......not an option. I have a great setup now on my patio burning NG for my frying on my 4 gal cast iron pot..... nothing better than fish cooked this way and french fries behind it to clean the grease!!!!!!!!!! Ya'll can all chip in for me for fathers day and buy me those "replacement broilers" thanks so much!!!

Comment

Joebuck A burner is a burner is a burner. Natural gas vs propane has to do with the regulator and gas oraface size coming off of your manifold. You can make your own, just be careful to get the hole drill sizes and number of holes correct so air and gas mix exits correctly. You will also want a way to adjust the air to gas mix. There is a lot involved so if you are able to find a burner that is already made you are way ahead of the game. A propane burner is no differnet than a natural gas burner. You will need to make sure you have a manifold and oraface though, you can't just pipe gas in and stick a burner on it.

Comment

• johnec00
                        johnec00 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The burner is the same, the gas orifice diameter is not since the gas pressures are different.

• kamadoRob
                        kamadoRob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Exactly.

Thanks Kamado! i am thinking now about buying the NG jet nozzles and tapping some square tubing and and screwing them in there??? I guess the nozzle preadjusts the mixture of gas and gas?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here