Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal, Gas, or Hybrid replacement grill??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal, Gas, or Hybrid replacement grill??

Currently have a PBC that handles my smoking needs along with a 15 year old Weber propane for grilling. Looking for something that is going to have high sear capability and would love to spend less than $1k. Originally was thinking of Hasty Bake but realized could probably spend less on Weber Performer Deluxe.

I sous vide a lot and most likely will use grill for finishing as my PBC handles most everything else famously. I also like the thought of the KettlePizza option on the Weber Performer. And then of course my minds goes to the simplicity of a gas grill and wonders if I should just replace with a propane.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

The Weber Performer with the Slow n' Sear is Super for searing.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I vote with DW.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed

Unless you really want another cooker why not get some custom cut grill grates for searing on your gasser and of course change the propane.

Comment

Originally posted by cgrover60 View Post
      Unless you really want another cooker why not get some custom cut grill grates for searing on your gasser and of course change the propane.
      The gasser is on its last legs unfortunately. 15 years was a good run

Comment

I could never get by without a gas grill. I have other things, and they all have their purpose, but gas is really important to me.

Comment

I'm with JCGrill . I love having the gasser around. And if you want to do pizza on the grill, here is something you can try:

Meathead's AmazingRibs.com is the leading BBQ and grilling website, featuring 2100+ pages of recipes, techniques, cooking science, myth-busting, and hands-on reviews.

Comment

Go pellet! Green Mountain Grill Davy Crocket with pizza oven attachment (this is my next cooker purchase!)

Comment

• cosmo
              cosmo commented
              Editing a comment
              I actually looked at GMG but the "searing" component is lacking

Not too long ago, I would have unequivocally recommended a Weber gasser with great searing capabilities, i.e., the Genesis EP-330. Since Weber removed sear burners from the Genesis II lineup, I would probably look elsewhere for a new gasser. If you're thinking charcoal, any of the 22 or 26" Weber kettles (with SnS) would be great ... as would the often overlooked PK grill.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbmorgan View Post
              Not too long ago, I would have unequivocally recommended a Weber gasser with great searing capabilities, i.e., the Genesis EP-330. Since Weber removed sear burners from the Genesis II lineup, I would probably look elsewhere for a new gasser. If you're thinking charcoal, any of the 22 or 26" Weber kettles (with SnS) would be great ... as would the often overlooked PK grill.
              I know, Weber really messed up by removing them from GII. I think that would be have a slam dunk.

any other recommendations for gasser w/good sear burner?

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Saber (infrared - they all can sear), Char-Broil (less expensive infrared, parent company of Saber), Napoleon. I'm sure there are others.

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Broil King has a line that can give you a mad sear.

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                Incidentally I have a Saber. It gets HOT. Searing is not a problem.

I've been dedicated charcoal for a while now, and I still miss gas. It was pretty convenient.

But then I taste the food, and my regrets vanish.

Comment

The Saber 500 looks like it would fit the bill but $1,700.....

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear you!

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Expensive, but I can speak to the quality and performance.

Get a weber 26 with fitted SnS

Comment

Check this out, within your price range:

Comment

Thanks. Not a bad deal at all. Will have to do research.

Comment

• bten
                      bten commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As you do research, look at local grill stores, (not big box). They sometimes have better pricing and include setup and delivery. I saved over $300 on my Delta Heat grill by going to one of these stores. They also sold Napoleon Grills.

Well, after considerable thought and review and negotiation w/the keeper of the house I might throw a wrench into this party.

NOW I'm thinking WSCGC and perhaps the Hasty Bake (but leaning towards the WSCGC).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here