Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a New Burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a New Burner

I need a new versatile burner for frying, wok, shrimp boils, etc. Don't want to break the bank, but willing to pay for quality. Was hoping to get some recommendations from the group.

What is the minimum btu you would settle for? I saw someone said 50K minimum for wok

Something like this, maybe?

This small compact single burner stove packs a punch and can handle heating up to the biggest jobs from adventures in home brewing to deep frying large birds.

An excuse to share pictures.
    Attached Files

Comment

Gator pit jet burner. 🔥

Comment

• lumbrjk
        lumbrjk commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome quote on the page:

Caution: We don’t refer to this burner as INSANE for no reason. Read owner’s manual prior to first use. Always use common sense when handling gas devices and never leave unattended. Respect GAS. Enjoy.

You're going to get about as many recommendations as there are BTU's. Personally, I would (and did) look for one in the 100000 BTU range. This one has served me well for the past couple of years:

FWIW, I modded my wok ring with 4 cut-out notches that allow it to sit down tightly on the 4 "arms" of the burner so it doesn't walk around if I'm feeling like Martin Yan.

Comment

• lumbrjk
        lumbrjk commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! Good price point too.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        lumbrjk - Just a thought on those monster-BTU burners out there. Whatever you get, make sure that you can throttle it down low enough to maintain a simmer in something like a paella pan. After all, you're going to be cooking ... not smelting ore.

I've got several outdoor burners that I mostly use for brewing beer, and second the advice to go for at least 100K BTU's if you plan on lots of large boils. It makes a difference. Your burner types tend to be either a 60K BTU "banjo" style burner, or a 100K BTU jet burner.

That said, be aware most of the single burner units are kinda short, as they are intended to support heavy 10-15 gallon pots full of liquid, so they are low to the ground. To use with a wok, you may need to put it on top of a table, unless you like crouching or sitting down. And none of them are really the same as a true wok burner. But they will all beat a wimpy 10-12K BTU stove burner or grill side burner for wok use.

EDIT:

I have this one, purchased for $39 in 2013:

Crazy inflation has taken the price from $39 to $99 in 10 years!

I picked up this one used for $50 from someone here in town, and use it more than anything:

I like the two levels for brewing, and it has two different style burners.

I've also got an old 65K BTU round turkey fryer burner someone gave me, along with a 7 gallon aluminum pot.
      Last edited by jfmorris; February 8, 2023, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Good advice about likely needing a table (or something) to support a short burner. FWIW, it's kind of high, but I've been known to set my burner on the grate of my (unlit) gasser. It's a handy way to catch oil spatters.

• lumbrjk
        lumbrjk commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea putting it on the gasser. I also should look in the classified ads....

Don't get us started on inflation! :/

I don't have one to recommend, but if you plan on using a round bottom wok, make sure the burner will work without the wok wobbling.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here