Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fully authorized, nay, encouraged bout of MCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fully authorized, nay, encouraged bout of MCS

Hi folks, here's something I did not see coming: a newly-discovered, if small, piece of area to add to my cooking space. Let me explain...

For the past couple years, my lovely bride has been using the area next to our patio as a gardening staging area, while she grew stuff in pots in various places around the yard to gauge what did best where and so forth. Here's a view from this spring:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220429_170359.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	1265925
    You're looking at my gas grill and smoker just past the wheelbarrow, on the right and left respectively. The photo in my profile pic is taken from the other side of those two.

She's now reached the point where she doesn't need to stage there anymore, so we've been steadily moving stuff away, and lo and behold, under all the overburden is this little random concrete slabette that I had plumb forgotten was even there. I now remember us scratching our heads wondering what the heck it was even for, it's not near anything... anyway, here's the discovery (not quite as exciting as a mummy's tomb):

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220731_092400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	1265927
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220731_092352 - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	1265926

The slab is 32x40 inches, with about 16 in. between the slab and the edge of the house. Note the proximity to my current cooking zone. It's not level but it's not terrible.

Now, I'd shared with my lovely bride some of the good-natured ribbing I'd gotten in a recent thread about my having just two cookers with no scope to add anything, and we'd talked about how if I were, it'd be something modest sized based around briquets & wood chunks - not up either physically or mentally for managing a woodpile. So when we found this she just said, well there's your spot for getting that whatever else cooker we were talking about. Why, yes. Yes ma'am it is.

And so I'd love your suggestions! I think I'm generally leaning toward something in the kettle world, which means an SnS insert I reckon. I have a vague recollection that there are bespoke units out there incorporating them... but it doesn't HAVE to be a kettle by any means. I'm really unversed here. No preconceived notions.

Anyway, in sum, I have a small footprint, want to have charcoal as the fuel source, have some capability I don't get with my vertical pellet smoker and 3-burner gasser, and ideally something that can be modded for at least rudimentary automation for long cooks.

Perhaps wincing a little as I post this-- but I'd be an idiot not to ask this crowd! Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by DaveD; July 31, 2022, 06:20 PM.

annex quick and establish pit rights!

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries there, the space is mine. Mine, I say! Bwaaahahahahahahahaha!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait a minute, are we havin fun here. LOL.

Maybe the SnS kettle from the get go?

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      This was my first thought. ecowper did a really good writeup when he got his and if I were to buy another kettle, that's likely what I'd get.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory that's what has one in my sights unless theres a killer deal on a Weber kettle I just can't pass up. Gonna be forever though, I still haven't replaced our gasser

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs - who needs gas? Er, I mean... oh you know what I mean.

26 Weber kettle. Best I can offer.
    Panhead John ??
    Last edited by Alan Brice; July 31, 2022, 06:18 PM.

Comment

The SnS Kettle or the SnS Kamado are my recommendations. The Kamado is very versatile. With the SnS insert use it like a kettle for smoking or searing but in kamado mode you can smoke more volume and even add the rotisserie attachment. Plus, it can be used as a pizza oven.

Comment

LSG, LSG, LSG! Seriously, my first thought was a pimped out SnS kettle, but after following the PBC/OJB Smackdown you should give serious consideration that Oklahoma Joe Bronco. Regardless, I'm looking forward to your selection. Happy hunting!

Comment

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          Listen to the man..................that thread might seem frivolous to some, but it's loaded...........

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll 2nd the LSG. The cabinets have a small footprint for their capacity. I run mine with a Fireboard and fan and can sleep all night long!
          Last edited by ofelles; August 1, 2022, 03:55 PM.

My opinion is that you need a dedicated charcoal smoker. Your gas grill will take care of any high temp needs while your pellet smoker will satisfy any desire
        for a more hands-off cook. This charcoal smoker will add lots of flavor for long cooks over smoke when you want to manage the fire a bit more.

You basically have three options: the kettle, the barrel, and the kamado.

The kettle offers versatility (do pretty much anything) but isn’t great if you want to smoke in winter and requires more hands-on fire management. You can do 2 zone cooking. You can automate, naturally with a Fireboard or an SNS. I’d recommend the SNS kettle. This option is $380.

The OKJ is a great barrel smoker with probably the biggest downside is loading and cleaning charcoal due to bending over and getting a face of smoke. Mobility is also an issue with its weight and lack of four wheels. I haven’t seen many cooks here or discussions of 2 zone so I will say it is unknown. This option is $450.

The kamado is excellent at smoking and requires minimal fire management. It also excels at searing. Fire management is minimal and much less than the kettle and cold weather performance is excellent. Downside is two-zone cooking will require some creativity but it can be done. This option with the Akorn is $330 new and used versions are widely available around $200.
        Last edited by STEbbq; July 31, 2022, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe Potkettleblack uses the SnS charcoal basket for the 18.5" kettle in his bronco to do two zone. I wouldn't sleep on the bronco, if I was looking for another charcoal cooker it'd basically come down to that or the SnS kettle.

• MsTwiggy
          MsTwiggy commented
          Editing a comment
          Very concise, No reason you can't set up indirect in an OJB. Just light less coals and put them on one side and put the meat on the other side so it's not directly over the coals. 🔥🔥🔥❤️🐿

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          There are multiple ways to do two zone on the Bronco. I use the SNS 18" charcoal basket to great effect for fairly lazy two zone. The small vortex can be used as well... however, as designed, you can set the fire up at the bottom, do your low, then reconfigure to do the hot zone. The primary cook zone is indirect... and moving the coals up and the grate down gives you the direct for 2 zone. I got the SNS basket for reverse sear ease.

How about a small woodpile? May I suggest a Santa Maria? You can use charcoal and put splits on top, like I do. A couple of bags from the box store is good for a few cooks. CaptainMike ?
        Last edited by tbob4; July 31, 2022, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, no woodpiles! No space, and I just don't have the mobility to do it anymore.

You can’t go wrong with an SnS equipped kettle (I’d go with the SnS kettle), but an OJ Bronco would also fit nicely in that space.

Comment

Weber Performer Deluxe kettle. Add SnS and Vortex inserts. So, so many additional add-ons available for it if you desire down the road.

Comment

• Livermoron
            Livermoron commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm really loving my performer deluxe. With the SnS and the rotisserie ring, there isn't anything I can't do. I'm mostly cooking for a small group now ($%#@! COVID!) but I can "plus up quickly if a larger cook is needed...

To follow up on @IFindZeroBadCooks point... If you have a gasser, the case for the kettle is weaker. The kettle would still be nice if you were going to accessorize it with rotisserie, vortex etc but with a gasser to sear, you could look at the Bronco which would be my choice for a dedicated charcoal smoker.

The issue with it is... you have a dedicated smoker and the Bronco is "a smoker, but charcoal" so does it really add much to your arsenal?

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I will say it is more "fun" to cook over open flame and there is the whole flavor topic.

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, but that (to me) is a reason to get a kettle. But I don't have a gas grill.

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            Fair point, and that is a little bit of the idea. I have gas and pellets now, so charcoal + wood chunks would give another dimension. I would indeed be interested to do some direct comparisons between a charcoal and pellet smoke cook...

The Weber Summit Kamado does everything both a kettle and a Kamado can do and there is even a SnS available for it if you should desire.

Comment

I agree about charcoal. . . All the way! FWIW based on what I've seen the Bronco can basically function as a kettle and people put sns baskets in them to set up indirect. Uncle Bob has used all the kettle accessories (except Santa Maria) in his bronco. Plus you could hang in it, or you can lay on the grate for a traditional barrel smoke. If you are concerned about real estate you could get the Pro which is same size as 22" kettle. And you can creatively use skewers to do a Brazilian grill of sorts.

A kamado is totally different and I don't own one yet. I think the place it would shine over the Bronco is pizza. Pizza on a grill/drum smoker is not comparable because they don't hold the heat as well. They will also be much more efficient with charcoal.

Kettle's are like a gateway cooker. Most people start with one and they learn a ton and they turn out amazing food. They are versatile and forgiving, perhaps they are where everyone should start. You can do brisket, steak, wibs, all
            of it. There are many accessories. I think if you have the benefit of everyone else's opinion and are excited to learn from your experiences maybe you should get the cooker that we would pick after we learned a thing or two on our kettle.

This is an exciting thing to be thinking about!!!! 🔥🔥🔥❤️🐿

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              The Weber Kettle is the gateway drug of MCS. I don't know anyone who has multiple cookers who hasn't owned at least one Weber kettle at some point.

I'm going to say Bronco Pro or Akorn Kamado. Either will give you some great meals. If you go for a Kettle get the 26.

Comment

Ah, MsTwiggy never underestimate a sneaky ol' man..............
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco stir fry 01.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1266098
              Click image for larger version

Name:	pro sm-rotis02.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1266099

Comment

• MsTwiggy
                MsTwiggy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thats what I'm talking about!!! It looks suspiciously clean but #&@$ yeah, SELL IT!!!!🏆🤩🔥🔥❤️🐿 Get the Bronco Pro thats my final recommendation. 😂😂😂

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                You are a madman... and that big old orange bronco makes me a bit mad at my wife for nixing the orange. ;-)

• Allon
                Allon commented
                Editing a comment
                I like it, nay, really like it! Can’t wait for the first one…

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here