Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIDEO: Chris Lilly (of Big Bob Gibson's) on Chicken (1hr:14m)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIDEO: Chris Lilly (of Big Bob Gibson's) on Chicken (1hr:14m)

Click image for larger version

Name:	chris_lilly2.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	62585

Chris Lilly emerged on the barbecue scene in 1992 when he began working for the Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q restaurant in Decatur, AL, recognized by The Wall Street Journal as having the best pork barbecue in the country and named the "Best Barbecue Restaurant in Alabama" by the Birmingham News. Lilly is now vice president, executive chef, and partner of Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q and Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q Franchises operating two company-owned restaurants and a franchise in Monroe, NC.

Lilly is also head chef of the Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q Competition Cooking Team, and the winner of 11 World BBQ Championships in several barbecue categories, three Memphis in May Grand Championships, the American Royal International Invitational, the Grand Championship at the 2003 International Jamaican Jerk Barbeque Cook-off, and in 2012, he won the title of "King of the Smokers" at an invitational competition organized by Sterling Ball.

Lilly has been a guest chef for 11 years running at the Food Network's South Beach Wine and Food Festival and has served twice as guest chef at the James Beard Foundation and the American Institute of Wine and Food. Lilly also consults with Kingsford Charcoal as a national spokesperson, the National Pork Board, KC Masterpiece, NASCAR, and Ritz Carlton.

Lilly has appeared on "Live with Regis and Kelly," "The Today Show," "The Martha Stewart Show," "ESPN College Football Live," and "ESPN Game Day," as well as numerous Food Network programs. In addition to the television appearances, his cooking has been featured in Southern Living, People, Food and Wine, Food Network Magazine, The New York Times, Men's Health, The Wall Street Journal, and Maxim Magazine. Lilly was the co-creator of the nine eppisode "The All-Star BBQ Showdown" for The Outdoor Life Network (OLN) in 2005. In 2006 he was co-creator and executive producer of the "BBQ Championship" series on Versus Network.

Name:	big_bob_gibsons_book_chris_lilly.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	62584

In 2009, Lilly authored a compilation of recipes, stories, and expert advice on outdoor cooking: "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book: Recipes and Secrets from a Legendary Barbecue Joint ". The National Barbecue Association awarded it "Book of the Year" and it is now in its 7th printing. It has also earned a gold medal from this website.

Name:	lilly_fire_smoke.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	62586

His second book, "Fire and Smoke: A Pitmaster's Secrets ", came out in May 2014.
    For his Seminar, we will focus on chicken. If you've been around barbecue surely you have heard about how Big Bob created the signature white sauce for chicken that is oft imitated but never duplicated (heaven knows, I've tried). If you visit the restaurants, you must order it. He has also created a very popular dish called Loaf Pan Chicken, in his book. We'll talk about selecting birds, preparing them, grilling, smoking, rotisserie, spatchcock, and how competition cooks do it.

For homework, check out his books and read my article attempt to replicate his Big Bob Gibson's Bama Birds with White Barbecue Sauce.

In this Seminar we talked about his famous white sauce for chicken, his wonderful loaf pan chicken, airline chicken, turkey, some of his other recipes, and more.

Go Chris Lilly & Big Bob Gibson!

Marshall Cooper
    Last edited by bbcoops; February 15, 2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I know it is a chicken talk but maybe you could ask about why they use hickory...

Comment

Only slightly off-topic: the family and I took a weekend road trip to the North Carolina location and the staff was wonderful to us. They told us they were out of chicken, and we were disappointed because we'd come so far primarily for the chicken. After we placed our orders, the waitress came back out and said that they discovered that they had one chicken left after all, and they gave it to us. Gratis. It didn't occur to us until later that that chicken was almost certainly some staff member's dinner. They also gave us a couple bottles of their sauce, so I played them a few fiddle tunes. It was a great time!

Comment

Meathead I read a whole chicken recipe in the Big Bob Gibson BBQ cook book by Chris Lilly and he said to place the chicken on the void side of the cooker. Will you ask him where the "void" side of the cooker is? Thanks

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            That is the indirect side, the side void of coals.

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Meathead thanks for the clarification now I will try the recipe

He means the side void of fire. Indirect cooking.

Comment

I have just posted the video of my Seminar with Chris Lilly above.

Comment

Love the new theme song!

Comment

Great seminar Meathead I really enjoy it. The wife and I will be planning on a special trip to Decatur,Al very soon. BTW, I have both of those books.
              Last edited by DWCowles; March 1, 2015, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Another winner Meathead! The videos just keep getting better and better! Way to go. And many thanks to Chris Lilly for doing this for us.

Comment

• Gunderich_1
                  Gunderich_1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meathead, Just wanted to let you know that I liked the seminar so much that I ordered both books through the sight. I am looking forward to learning from these books.....

Nice production value! The seminar was good as well.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. I'm a slow learner but I'm climbing the video editing ladder.

Fantastic video with Meathead and Chris Lilly! Great conversation, cook tips, recipies and stories ...

Comment

I just watched the video and it is chocked full of great information. Thanks Meathead and Chris Lilly! I think Meathead had a good time with this video, and as others have said, great job on the production. I also ordered both books - Kindle.

Comment

Meathead, the look on your face was awesome when Chris started talking about putting brisket drippings in a bloody mary. I thought you were about to explode!

Comment

I watched this video last night. Another fantastic video Meathead, definitely worth joining the pit masters club for these seminars alone. The video inspired me to whip up a batch of the white sauce using the recipe on this site. All we had were boneless skinless breasts, but, WOW, this stuff is amazing! We used almost the entire batch on 4 small chicken breasts. My wife and boys (14 & 17) loved the stuff. I can't wait to make a double batch with a couple of spatchcock chickens.

Thanks again for another great seminar.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here