Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIDEO- Harry Soo (of Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ): "Getting The Most Out of Your Weber Smokey Mountain" (1hr:24m)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was doing everything wrong???!!! LOL

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm having a hard time believing that. just sayin :-)

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL!! I had to watch that video 3 times, very interesting

• Patrick
      Patrick commented
      Editing a comment
      That was the great thing about Harry, in his opening comments in the class, he said assume everything I am teaching you is wrong. That wasn't true, but I've found that techniques that worked for him doesn't work for me, and vise versa. It's all about finding what works in your world.......just like your flavor profile....and buttholes. Everyone has one!

What a great video! I'm a WSM newbie and have done Pulled Pork once and Ribs twice so there was loads of very good advice here! Luvin it! Well worth the cost just for this one gem of a video!

Comment

Sorry I'm late but that was great really enjoyed and looking to catchup
      Thanks

Comment

Loved the seminar. Thanks MH! Have a couple 22.5's myself. Kinda wondering how he mite be doing his comp ribs n chick. Finish n wrap ribs then chick? Start ribs, then chick a bit later n finish together? Hate to have to fly to CA to find out but one does what one has to do! Any ideas from anybody very welcome.

Comment

• Patrick
          Patrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Mad Jack! I can't pull the video right now, but in his class he started ribs, then chicken thighs as the ribs were wrapped with a finish at the same time. We ate like BBQ kings! If your doing chicken halves I would start at the same time.

Absolutely Fan-Freaking-tastic. Great ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I was under the impression that a full brisket wouldn't fit on a Webber 18.5 so I've never tried it. Sounds like that is what Harry is using with no problems...

Comment

• FLBuckeye
            FLBuckeye commented
            Editing a comment
            If you buy a brisket bigger than 12 lbs., it most likely won't fit. That being said, I rarely buy briskets bigger than 12 lbs. as bigger briskets are rumored to be a bit tougher. TIFWIW

Thank you Meathead & Harry for putting this together. That video was alot of info. I loved how he ended his statement. Lets all get along & share the love.

Comment

I can testify to controlling temps with the lid vent. Harry Soo is right.

Comment

Mr. Soo,

When you control your smoker with the top vent, how do you set the bottom vents?
              Thank you.

Comment

bradjo222 This is an old thread, thanks for bringing it back to life. Hopefully Ernest Jon Solberg or some of our other WSM user can help you with this. On this forum, Harry Soo would not be able to see your post.

I don't run WSMs but I would imagine the bottom dampers are about 1/3 to 1/2 open.

Comment

• bradjo222
                  bradjo222 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Spinaker. I am a new member so I'm catching up on these older videos. I think Soo's idea on the creation of a vacuum makes a lot of sense. Everything else I have seen talks about leaving the top vent wide open and controlling temp with the bottom vents.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No problem. We are happy you are poking around and learning! I too would control mine with the bottom vents. That being said, Soo is a WSM master. And the hardware to prove it! bradjo222

It depends on ambient temperature. 1/2 way open most of the time.
                You have to find your sweet spot and let it do what it do.

Comment

I always leave the top vent wide open and manage the temp with the bottom 3 vents. Once it gets dialed in it'll hold until outside factors change significantly - wind/sun/rain.

Comment

This was very nice.

Comment

Awesome video. I found it linked in the article about WSMs on the site. Now I gotta go watch Blonder on salt! There is so much info here. So great.

And as sappy as it sounds, the whole share the love bit is so true. I love cooking for friends. I like the positive energy perspective. Almost like yoga for meat. Namaste and dig in!

Comment

What a great interview. Very informative.

I have made Slap yo Daddy rub for a while now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here