Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY doesn't anybody make an AUTOmatic gas temp controller to maintain 225F for smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHY doesn't anybody make an AUTOmatic gas temp controller to maintain 225F for smoking

Seems to me that there are no gas smokers with automatic temp controllers. Or am I missing something in the reviews?
    I have a good temp gauge, but if I want to smoke overnight, the ambient temp changes, and affects the temp of the smoker. And that is just not right.

The tech for that might just be cost prohibitive. With a pellet grill a thermostat makes an auger spin, stop spinning, etc. With a gas, a needle valve would have to adjust automatically, or a burner light when needed as in a home furnace.

Comment

Masterbuilt makes a couple ... like this one: https://masterbuilt.com/product/mb20...propane-smoker

... so, while rare at the moment, such a thing does exist.

Comment

Consider what happens in a gas kitchen oven with a thermostat - they go all over the place. It may just be either technically infeasible or as Huskee said, too expensive.

Comment

Ole Hickory to the rescue!!!!

From commercial smokers, residential smokers, competition smokers to BBQ supplies, Ole Hickory Pits has everything you need to BBQ at your best.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Them some serious cookers. I always like watching Malcolm Reed use his on YouTube.

• NightwatchRenBand
            NightwatchRenBand commented
            Editing a comment
            Looked at the Ole Hickory Pits, beautiful, I suspect they are expensive. Surprisingly little detail on their website, but I sent them some questions so we will see.

Made one for an electric brinkmen with a cheap home thermostat years ago that worked great. Maybe try the same but use a thermostat for a gas stove or gas furnace????

Comment

My Southern Pride has one We Cook on oak at 275 but if for some reason we miss throwing a log in the gas come on at 225 This is very helpful during our catering serve time

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	872CF506-8841-4440-80A1-CF8C049D8925.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	493810Click image for larger version

Name:	1EB0C14F-F757-4C64-8896-D7470F309636.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	493811

Comment

You mean like this...

Comment

• NightwatchRenBand
                  NightwatchRenBand commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The next time I have $3,000 to spend I will consider it...

I dunno, I have a pretty easy time dialing my genesis to a temp and keeping her there, so long as it's not real windy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here