Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure Smokers: K-Rigg Rev Can Cook A Brisket in 2 Hours?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressure Smokers: K-Rigg Rev Can Cook A Brisket in 2 Hours?!

A fun article to read:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/k-r...essure-smoker/

Company website:

K-Rigg Pressure Smoker. Smoke Food in Minutes, Not Hours! Smoke Ribs as quick as 25 minutes!

Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/K-Rigg-Rev-Pr.../dp/B07W7VMD1S

I figured our crowd would get right on to jury-rigging our own.
    Last edited by STEbbq; July 6, 2022, 07:27 PM.

I'm not sure about a pressurized vessel as such being in the hands of the general public.

I believe most steamers sold today in commercial kitchens are convection steamers which are pressure less.

Lots of components to understand and service.

I would like to taste the product though before making any judgements.

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      "I'm not sure about a pressurized vessel as such being in the hands of the general public."
      Wait until you hear about the Instant Pot!

• captainlee
      captainlee commented
      Editing a comment
      Unless i am wrong, the pressure system here seems to be quite a bit different than an instant pot, it seems like a full fledged boiler, controls and valves. Still interested in this thing from a mechanical view.

Interesting. Have to give him credit for trying something that seems pretty new.

Comment

Intriguing. I love my pressure cooker, and the idea of a pressure smoker always gets my interest. Still, I don't know if I really want to smoke things on an accelerated time scale.

Stock on the other hand...I just like to get it done and packaged...

Comment

From their website: Do to the current supply chain climate, we are not accepting any orders at the moment. Sorry.

Comment

The exhaust from the engine is used to pressurize the chamber? Or did I read that wrong?

I dunno… I guess cheers to him for following his dream.

A telling statement was when he said if he could just get them into the hands of more people. I’ve heard this plenty of times.

Ego is a bee with an itch.

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            I had to go back and re-read that myself. Its a propane engine, not gasoline.

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            "The exhaust from the engine is used to pressurize the chamber? Or did I read that wrong?"

You read it correctly. Complete combustion of propane consists of CO2 and water vapor ... so, in theory, it shouldn't be an issue. In theory ...

Fun article.

I don’t want one.

Comment

The description of the brisket tell me everything I need to know…

There’s brisket that is fully cooked and more or less edible…and then there’s properly smoked brisket.

I mean, one could cook a brisket in their oven hot & fast as well. It will be cooked & safe to eat…but it probably won’t make a lot of people happy. I also don’t need ribs done in thirty minutes. I can easily do both of those on a day off and grill something else instead.

​​​​​​​I can’t help but think that everything would taste closer to boiled rather than smoked. Pass

Comment

love the guy's idea, don't want one.

Comment

I did high-pressure & -temperature experimentation for a living before I became a full time bureaucrat. Under NO circumstances would I want a pressure vessel of any kind involved in smoking meat. Nothing but logistical headaches and safety issues...

Not sure why, but I am reminded of this great passage from a 1987 book called Chaos by the fantastic science writer James Gleick, all about fractal mathematics and how it has revealed new ways of understanding some natural processes. As an experimentalist, I have always loved this quote...

"Theorists conduct experiments with their brains. Experimenters have to use their hands, too. Theorists are thinkers, experimenters are craftsmen. The theorist needs no accomplice. The experimenter has to muster graduate students, cajole machinists, flatter lab assistants. The theorist operates in a pristine place free of noise, of vibration, of dirt. The experimenter develops an intimacy with matter as a sculptor does with clay, battling it, shaping it, and engaging it. The theorist invents his companions, as a naïve Romeo imagined his ideal Juliet. The experimenter's lovers sweat, complain, and fart."

Comment

• captainlee
                  captainlee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for your input, same per my post. I was saying the same thing but received an insulting comment that i never head of an instant pot, which confirmed my concerns of a steam generator being in the hands of the public. I spent the first ten years of my career in manufacturing steam generators. I believe i have some knowledge to back up my statements.

• DaveD
                  DaveD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Aye, Capn! When all I have to do is control temperature and smoke composition, that's a walk in the park compared to managing pressure...

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great book.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here