Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PIt Boss 2-Series - Thoughts or Experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PIt Boss 2-Series - Thoughts or Experience?

I saw a Pit Boss 2-Series on FB Marketplace for $80. I was thinking it might be cool to have for some cold smoking and to use as a warming unit or to finish long cooks after the wrap. I looked it up online and it shows a temp range of 100-350. The shelves seem big enough to hold a rack of ribs or a brisket (after smoking) at 16" wide by 12" deep. Tractor Supply sells these for $199 new.

I thought I would check in here to see if any of you have any experience with one of these propane smokers.

I personally wouldn't buy a Pit Boss used, except maybe from a friend I trusted. The couple guys at work with Pit Boss products all had to reach out to customer service at least once. Customer service almost always sent them replacement parts with minimal hassle. Example a new ignitor and a random other high fail part will quickly bump you into the brand new price range.

They will be on sale over the next few weeks probably for 150 or even 99 depending on how many floor models or how much space your store has. Walmart is clearing them out like crazy in my area right now along with Cuisinart and expert grill models.

*EDIT* didn't realize that was the propane model, there's less stuff to fail so maybe worth a shot
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; October 14, 2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the info!

It is not a brand that I’d trust to be consistent enough for a main smoker. However, if I have the space and a very specific use case that justifies the expense, it could work. I can see the value if you do not have a gas oven in particular.

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I do have a gas oven, but the lowest it goes is 170. This is definitely not going to be my main cooker. I was thinking it might be cool to have for some , making jerky, cold smoking cheese & fish. I alos want to use as a warming unit or to finish long cooks after the wrap

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here