Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Threaded regarding using a skillet in place of the provided tray in a 340G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threaded regarding using a skillet in place of the provided tray in a 340G

A few weeks ago I was reading a thread where the author removed the factory wood tray on his 340G and replaced it with a cast iron skillet with 3 legs and went into some detail. Now I can not find the thread. Can someone point me to it. Many Thanks!

I found it. Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Mike99; June 28, 2020, 08:07 AM.

I started using a smoke tube with pellets in my 340G.

The tiny little shallow pan they include was intended for chips and since my unit came with a non-functioning thermostat, I have to throttle down the gas flow using a metering valve in the gas line. Flame is so low that the temp in the chip pan isn't hot enough to smolder wood.

I think a smoke tube is the way to go.

Comment

I think you may be thinking of a YouTube video that was describing an older Masterbuilt propane model. He added a 3 legged or 3 armed cast iron circular piece to hold the smoke pot on over the burner. Someone here talked about using adjustable bolts to figure out the best height for the smoke pot to sit at, and then lock it in once you figure out the height.

You will not need to do this with the MPS 340/G XL. If you are not getting as much smoke as you would like when starting the cook at lower temps, just crank the thermostat up around 300 - 350 and get the smoke rolling. Then adjust the temp downward to your preferred cook temp and add the meat when the temp adjusts. This works well for me. I received it as a suggestion from @MaxGood.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here