Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G XL Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G XL Problem

I purchased a Masterbuilt MPS 340/G XL. The problem is it generates next to zero smoke. I'm 3 hours into cooking a batch of ribs and it has yet to consume 4 ounces of wood chips. Cooker temp is 225 degrees per thermoworks Thermo Q. Needless to say the crew I'm feeding today are going to end up with mediocre ribs at best. Has anyone else experienced and remedied this problem. I'm considering mixing in some pellets with the hickory chips yet Masterbuilt directions say not to use pellets. Any thoughts?

I talked to Masterbuilt about why not use pellets. (I just got my 340G XL). They told me because they catch fire and could cause a flareup. (They are extremely safety conscious). They told me we may use wood chunks or wood chips but not pellets. (I'm thinking that possibly we could use pellets in something like Mo's Smoking Pouch to avoid actual flames, but that would be your own decision). They also said that we can raise the cover slightly on the wood tray to get more oxygen to the wood.

Another thought is to run at a higher temp long enough to get the wood going, then reduce to desired temp.

Since we're talking about the 340G XL, have you found a cover that will fit it and the propane tank, by chance? I need to find one.

Comment

When I was using an electric smoker I made foil pouches with wood chips in them for smoke flavor. Just punch several small holes in the pouch and place directly over the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingSteve View Post
        I talked to Masterbuilt about why not use pellets. (I just got my 340G XL). They told me because they catch fire and could cause a flareup. (They are extremely safety conscious). They told me we may use wood chunks or wood chips but not pellets. (I'm thinking that possibly we could use pellets in something like Mo's Smoking Pouch to avoid actual flames, but that would be your own decision). They also said that we can raise the cover slightly on the wood tray to get more oxygen to the wood.

Another thought is to run at a higher temp long enough to get the wood going, then reduce to desired temp.

Since we're talking about the 340G XL, have you found a cover that will fit it and the propane tank, by chance? I need to find one.
        Here is the Amazon link for the proper cover which covers the smoker and the attached propane tank: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as smoke is concerned, I use chunks. I crank the smoker up to 300 till I see smoke, than open the upper door for 30 seconds, add my meat and set the dial for the proper temp. as you stated above. Works every time...

Comment

Here is a pic of some St. Louis ribs I made yesterday in my 340G XL. A little over 6 hours till done.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by lbyer; July 29, 2019, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Use chunks. I got good smoke at 225 although it took about ten minutes to start. I had to add more chunks every hour.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here