Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef on Natural Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Chef on Natural Gas

I have a camp chef 24", and have it hooked up to natural gas via a converter kit.
    However, the pressure of the gas is so high, that I can only do MED flow on the smoker. Higher gas flow than that causes the pressure to blow out the flames. This means that I cannot get the desired higher temperatures, and it takes the smoker more than an hour to get to just below 200 degrees.

I have tried to reduce the flow of natural gas coming into the smoker, but that doesn't seem to help.

Has anyone encountered this before and have any ideas as to address the issue so I can turn up the heat?

Have you looked for an adjustable pressure regulator? And welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Stupid question - who sells the adjustable pressure regulator, and is that put between the natural gas line and the converter kit?

Comment

Amazon

Comment

I’m not familiar with that smoker but I’ve never heard of a natural gas appliance that required you to add a regulator in a residential application. Did you use an OEM conversion kit? Is the burner clean and in good condition? Have you talked to Camp Chef? If your gas pressure were too high it would damage the gas valve in your furnace or water heater, if you have those on natural gas. The gas valves are 1/2 psi max, typical residential gas pressure is 1/4 psi (7” water column).

Comment

Could there be an adjustment you need to make to the burner when you convert from propane to natural gas? I am thinking about the air intake shutter on my Bayou Classic 65K BTU burner. The setting of the air shutter on that makes major changes in how the flame lifts off the burner.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here