Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping Smoke Vault Clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping Smoke Vault Clean

I am really enjoying the foods I’m making in the Smoke Vault. I’m not enjoying the clean up afterward. There’s a large amount of fat in the water and drip pan as should be. I’ve seen people put down foil in the water pan. I’ve also tried to put foil in the drip pan at the bottom but it’s huge and with the burner hole in the middle there’s always a gap where gunk gets under the foil and welds the foil to the pan in fat. I’ve been using a separate drip pan under the food to catch all the dripping making clean up easier. The problem is it really impact air flow and temps.

Does anyone have any suggestions for setting up a vertical smoker to make clean up easier (not scraping and scrubbing) besides buying a different smoker? 🙄😀

The two things you mention are what I do with my Smoke Vault 24 to help with clean-up. I put in a layer of heavy duty foil in the water pan that is high enough on the sides to contain all the water. The tricky part is dealing with the greasy water after a cook. What I usually do is let the pan sit for a day to let the greasy solidify, then scoop it out with a slotted spoon. Then the remaining water can just be dumped in the garden.

I also lay in heavy duty foil in the drip pan on the bottom of the cooker. I've left that in for a number of cooks between replacing without any ill effect. I agree that it's a big area to cover, but once I changed the foil a couple of times it has been relatively straightforward.

Sorry that I can't offer any other clever suggestions. Perhaps some other SV users out there have some.

Comment

Stainless pan for the bottom? Works reasonably well for my KBQ.

Comment

I had a baking pan that was the same size as the racks and would cover that with foil and put it in the lowest slot, right above the water pan. Worked really well. Water pan water, grease pan grease...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here