Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket on 24 inch Smoke Vault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket on 24 inch Smoke Vault

I've had my Camp Chef 24 inch Smoke Vault for about two years and have cooked just about everything on it, except (I'm embarrassed to say) a
    brisket. It's time. I've read the brisket recipes and tips on AR and have read Aaron Franklin's book, so am feeling pretty well prepared.
    But I'd like to know if any of the other SV 24 owners out there have any tips to offer specific to our cookers? Thanks in advance!

If you've already done large hunks like pork shoulder, you are ready for brisket. Follow our brisket recipe and you should be A OK.

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Max. Much appreciated.

theroc when you cook your brisket we would enjoy hearing about it and seeing some photos. You're going to be just fine, well probably great!

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fuzzydaddy. Will absolutely post the story with pictures!

Well, I'm committed now. Found a 13.6 lb Prime full packer brisket at Costco.
    Will start trimming and get it dry brining soon. Pictures to follow.

Ready to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160702_151049565_HDR.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	189626

Injected with homemade bone broth and dusted with Big Bad Beef rub. Ready to go in the cooker.

Name:	IMG_20160703_032358092.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	189627
    Last edited by theroc; July 3, 2016, 12:46 PM.

Comment

7.5 hours in - very nice bark. Now the question is to wrap or not to wrap.

Name:	IMG_20160703_105900432.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	189611

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd see what the bottom (top of the flat) looks like.

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Will take a look.

I wrap for the last couple of hours because I like to retain some of those juices to put into a fat seperator and pour back over the cut meat. Either way leave at cooking until it is probe tender.

Comment

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks jharner. That sounds like a good plan. Since it is my first brisket, I'd like to focus on keeping it moist.

This is part of yesterday cook. You see the fat separator behind the tray

Comment

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tip. I will put mine to good use, too.

Pulled the brisket at 195F. Here it is after two hours in the faux cambro:

Name:	IMG_20160703_203546199.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	189937

And the finished product!

Name:	IMG_20160703_204553883.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	189938

Extremely tasty. Great bark on top and bottom. I do think it could have used a little extra time
      on the smoker. Would have liked the flat to be a bit more tender. But no complaints from any
      of the guests. The point was fabulous. Served it with Texas Mop Sauce, but it didn't really need
      the sauce.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks great and great bark too!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here