Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24" burn-in starting now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24" burn-in starting now.

Here it is:

Coupla dings in it, made it a little tight for the upper shelves, but for $100, I can't really complain too much.

I'll give it an hour or so, see how temps look, then maybe throw on some wood chunks, fill the water pan (it's empty right now) and maybe throw on a bologna chub for this evening.

Here's the damage:

OK, so.... I've never done this before.

It's been about, 35-40 minutes since I threw wood chunks in there. They are just sitting on top of the metal plate which is directly over the burner, the water pan is above that.

How long does it take for it to start smoking? I mean, I kinda think I can convince myself I can smell some minimal smoke, even think I smell a little maple smell (these are maple chunks), but I've quickly peeked twice and I don't see any smoke, I don't see any smoldering or blackening of the wood chunks I can see.

When should they start smoking, or am I doing something wrong? Do I need to turn it up?

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      200 is quite low to start any combustion in the wood. I would take a propane torch to an edge of the wood chunks to start the smoke process in the wood itself.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, good to know, I'll go pull that tray out a bit and see if I can get them started. Maybe I should have gone with wood chips instead of chunks? I thought I had read that most guys preferred to use the chunks, but I could be wrong.

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Quote from the owner’s manual: "Medium-large wood chips work best inside the wood chip box." https://www.campchef.com/on/demandwa...18S_Manual.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	82525458-4007-4093-B0C2-78667792A42D.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1238924
    This is a pic from years ago smoking some ribs in the Vault,,,,
    not having a independent temp gauge for internal temp control I usually adjusted the heat to get the smoke rolling,,,,
    I never attempted to validate the accuracy of the temp gauge on the Vault. Thought 250 would work.
    I was operating on ignorance and my nose,,,,
    then I expanded my horizon to food pron on AR,,,

Comment

@225° smoke is rolling by 20 minutes every time for me

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        No, that is grate temp. I have no problem holding g temp or getting smoke going. All I have done is seal the door

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        DogFaced PonySoldier - the grates will show some minor variation top to bottom from what folks say AND... tight temp control is an illusion. I think some of us worry too much about it. 225, 230, 250... are all fine. It's finally not FRICKING RAINING here (it's been a crappy spring) so I'm unboxing and setting mine up this weekend. I'll keep folks posted.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        The top position runs hotter in the SV. I keep my temp alarm set for 215‐240 and keep it there pretty easily once I get the water in the pan warmed up and everything dialed in rickgregory DogFaced PonySoldier

I've been considering one off these smokers vs the MB 340. Using natural gas is a desirable option but I've found no evidence that the MB can be converted. How is the temp stability of the SV?
      I'd be using my Signals to monitor while smoking and would hope to be able to keep a 250 target within +/- 10d. How would the SV do maintaining 250 when the ambient is near 100?

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        According to texastweeter in the post above, he has no trouble reaching and maintaining temperatures of 225, and I assume 250 would be equally achievable. He is in Texas, and ambient near 100F is a think for him quite often!

I too really like the idea of running the SV24 on natural gas. I've got an outdoor grill hookup I've not used in more than 20 years.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Fill the water pan, it helps hold the temps consistent. If the high temp alarm goes off on me 99% of the time the pan ran dry or is low.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        " keep a 250 target within +/- 10d. "

Don't worry about tight temps. Seriously, your oven likely varies by +/- 30F or more. I'm not advocating for 100F swings, mind you, but most of my recent smokes (weber kettle with SNS) start at 180F, float up to about 270F over a couple hours and then hang around there or a little lower.

I also deal with some winds especially in the spring. My Weber Genesis will flame out especially if on a lowered burner setting. The MB is advertised to shut down the gas supply should the flame blow out. Will the SV do that as well?

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I do not think the SV has this feature.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        No, I don't see any way it would recognize that or shut it down.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here