Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber brings wireless connectivity apps to new Smart gas grill line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No control over the oven temperature? What’s the point, since you can’t really leave it for any length of time.

Comment

I have a FireBoard Gen 1 and love it. It's a far cry from the Weber feature because it's a complete system to monitor, alert, record, save and provide information to help you cook by temperature. It took a lot of engineering to develop the software, hardware and cloud and turn it into a near flawless system. What I don't like is adding WiFi and an app to things that can easily be done much more simply, such as locking your door, turning on a light and controlling your garage door. Being in tech, I just know from experience that if something can go wrong it eventually will. In fact, I just wrote a column (bakerontech.com) on a new app from an elevator company that requires you to download their app and use it to select your floor to avoid touching the button.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with this regarding the elevator. Just press the button and use some sanitizer later. I use the back of my knuckle. A few years ago I was in Dallas, TX, and the parking meters were all app-i-fied. You could not insert coins or cash, or even a debit card, but had to download an app to a smart phone, and get an account with the app, and use it to pay for the parking spot with a credit card. It took me 10 minutes to park my rental car. download the app, and pay for an hour in the spot!

I do digital forensics professionally and I do have to admit having "help! my Weber's been hacked!" would be pretty cool.

Comment

Agreed.

If I am going to pay for WiFi again, I need some actual utility out of it beyond temperature monitoring, which I'd be getting from my third-party InkBird anyway.

1) Allow me to adjust temperatures as needed
        2) Low fuel alarms
        3) Working alerts that pop up as real notifications instead of forcing me to leave the app open
        4) Turn smoker on and off (add an extra step or two if needed for safety reasons)

If I can't get the majority of this list, then I don't think it is worth it.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve got all these with the fireboard controlling the pit. Except lighting the pit.

I have thought about using a smart controlled switch and an Estes model rocket igniter fuse with a Weber cube.

It is nice to remote monitor and control. Also I can keep it running on low in between meals and crank it back up before heading back outside with prepped food.

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup. Build some of the FB functions as standard for WiFi builds especially if they want $250 for the upgraded WiFi controller.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here