Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indirect w/ 3 horizontal burners + GrillGrates.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indirect w/ 3 horizontal burners + GrillGrates.?

Hey all, first time poster here. I have a Genesis S-320 circa 2007. Last year I gave it a top-to-bottom makeover with new burners, bars, igniters, and custom fit GrillGrates. Basically, it’s like new (only better!). The only drawback is that the three burners are horizontal, while the GrillGrates (5 pieces) are vertical. I’m having a heck of a time trying to figure out the best way to do a 2-zone/indirect cook under these circumstances. Do I turn the back/top burner to high, leave the front and middle off? It seems like the conduction properties of the GrillGrates makes that a challenge. I’m not sure if I’m explaining my problem clearly enough, but hoping someone might know what I’m talking about and offer suggestions!

Welcome to The Pit.

If I understand you, the GGs length runs over all your burners and you are worried about the GGs conducting too much heat to whatever you are cooking? If that's correct, I think you would have the same problem if the GGs ran the other direction because the GGs interlock. Of course, you could leave one or more out for a cook if they ran that way.

I'd get a small chuck roast and cook it low and slow to see what happens. It's probably not a problem as long as you don't put the flat side of the GGs up.

Comment

• smcmanamy
      smcmanamy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give the chuck roast a try - no reason not to!

smcmanamy I have an older 2002 Genesis 2 burner grill, with the horizontal burners like yours (control knobs are on the right side of the grill, not in the front). And it is also fitted with a full replacement set of Grillgrates - they are GREAT for direct grilling. I am afraid due to the conductive nature of aluminum Grillgrates running front to back, you won't be able to do indirect in that setup. Best option would be to either put back the original cast iron grates for this cook, or use the elevated warming rack, if your grill has that. I kept the original grates and just store them on the wire shelf under my grill, in the event I need them.

I tried this on the 2 burner Genesis, and the heat from the front burner conducted to the back of the grate. Was it cooler back there using my IR thermometer? Yes. But the meat was still sizzling and getting char marks from the grate. Aluminum is WAY WAY more conductive for heat than cast iron. Like 3-4 times more conductive I think. Stainless is down at the other end of things, and less conductive than even cast iron.

The newer gas grills have the burners running front to back, the same direction as the Grillgrates, so indirect is an option by just disconnecting the panels and leaving a small gap. Not something we can do on the older Genesis grills unfortunately.
    Last edited by jfmorris; January 29, 2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• smcmanamy
      smcmanamy commented
      Editing a comment
      This is not the answer I was hoping for, but it confirmed my suspicions. I did save the original cast iron grate, so that's good. Thanks!

smcmanamy the other time you will want to swap back in your original cast iron grates, and the main reason I do, since I don't smoke on my gas grill, is if you want to use a cast iron skillet or something like that out on the grill. Grillgrate.com recommends against putting cast iron pots and pans on top of the aluminum grates, as the different thermal properties can lead to it warping or damaging the aluminum grate. I've swapped one of the original grates for half the Grillgrate panels when I wanted to toss a skillet on the grill. On the other hand, I've used a small stainless sauce pan to melt butter or wing sauce, with no ill effect to the Grillgrates.

Comment

My brother (the chef) has a similar Weber and when cooking indirect he turns the front burner on and leaves the back two off, he also removes his GrillGrates, he feels he gets better heat convection that way. He also ordered custom cut GrillGrates and runs them "horizontally".

Comment

• smcmanamy
        smcmanamy commented
        Editing a comment
        In retrospect the custom horizontal GGs would have been a great idea, but if I want to stay married I probably shouldn't order another set!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Running left to right like that in an older Genesis like mine wouldn't work well as a replacement set - only as a surface set on top of the existing grates. The ledges that support the grates are only in the front and back.

I have the same configuration - a 2008 Genesis with horizontal burners and perpendicular GGs. I have had some success with indirect heat cooking using front, middle or front & back burners. For most indirect, I have even put food on the Weber warmer grates above the GGs and used a smoke tube on the GG, with the front burner on low and the back two burners off. This has worked well for smoking. So, at least for this novice, it seems to work.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here