Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More pizza - on the Genesis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More pizza - on the Genesis

I did pizza on the LSG on Saturday, and one result is my son discovered how much better homemade crust is than store bought. He has a lot of dietary restrictions, so I’m willing to go the extra mile to give him healthy, homemade options that he likes.

And so we did pizza on the Weber Genesis on Sunday. I let everything get to about 500 F, then turned the middle burner to low and left the side ones on high. With the second pizza stone on top to radiate heat, everything cooked great.

My pizza dough technique still needs a lot of work, but it looks like I will be getting a lot of practice. Got my sourdough culture started, so that will be extra yummy.

​

Awesome - my first pizza on the grill adventure started with a recipe from The Barbecue Bible! - more recently I’ve found better recipes. I can see doing it in my Genesis versus the Performer just to get preheated quicker. Then again, my last few were in the oven... if I’m not using charcoal, likely little difference between the oven and the gas grill, except the grill can get hotter.

So for dietary restrictions, are we talking gluten, or something else? Sounds like you are making a sour dough crust?

Comment

As with anything , it is some trial and error, but my kids love pizza that way. Glad it is working out for you!

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
        So for dietary restrictions, are we talking gluten, or something else? Sounds like you are making a sour dough crust?
        jfmorris - It's a complicated answer. I've interacted with you here enough that I trust you are a reasonable guy - I say that because some of these topics about dietary restrictions end up in flame wars, but I know neither of us has an inclination to that. So I'll try to explain it.

My son is now 17. He's had digestive problems his whole life, but they have diminished significantly in the past 3 years. For context, he showed signs of developmental delay by 18 months and was diagnosed with autism at age 4, with an intermediate diagnosis of PDD-NOS around 30 months (in case that means anything to you or anyone else reading). Significantly, there's a very high correlation of autism and digestive issues. But we didn't have to take anyone's word for it - when he was a toddler, if he ate something that didn't work for him, within an hour his behavior tanked, his appearance changed (e.g. dark circles under his eyes and pale skin), and then a few hours later explosive digestive issues (if you get my drift).

Early on it wasn't just gluten, but any grain-based foods that caused this reaction. Sugars and most processed foods were also problems on the behavioral side, but without the digestive problems.

It's hard to control a kid's diet all the time, so over time he was exposed to foods that were problematic, and we saw the reactions. But around age 14-15, he stopped being reactive to grains. I've been told by "experts" that this is impossible - it must mean that we were wrong and he was never reactive to them in the first place. But that's based on a diagnostic approach of celiac disease and other lifelong disorders, not a view of intestinal disorders that can heal over time.

So, long answer to a simple question... Bottom line is that he currently tolerates gluten and most grains okay. Sourdough is even better because of the improved pre-digestive breakdown. We stick with organic foods as much as possible to eliminate potential toxins. I'm very careful to avoid processed foods, high-nitrate cured meats, refined sugars, and seed oils like corn or canola oils.

Sorry for making it so confusing -- welcome to my life!

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife developed an intolerance to cornmeal as an adult. She can eat corn, popcorn etc. but anything with cornmeal makes her very ill. We often find out the hard way (some pizza doughs have cornmeal base). My son has cold urticaria (allergic to the cold). Hoped he would outgrow it - most childhood types go away at 18. He's 30 and still has it but it is not as severe. I'm glad things are looking up for your son digestively.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! I’ve heard some of this before, but not sure I knew how dramatic a link there could be with food and behavior and health, aside from allergic reactions. I’m so glad things have improved in recent years, and let’s pray that trend continues.

tbob4 - Keep in mind that I'm a programmer not a doctor, so take this for what it's worth.

I would say if your wife had any event that compromised her digestive tract (e.g. antibiotics, colonoscopy, etc.), then probiotics (I recommend Thrive brand), digestive enzymes with betaine hydrochloride, and a very mild diet with lots of bone broth for a couple months might help.

Cold urticaria is sometimes associated with a general autoimmune responses, so it's hard to know. If it were me and the condition is causing serious life impairment, I would consider some of the keto/paleo/carnivore diets that might be questionable for general use but effective for some extreme autoimmune conditions.

Anyway, like me you may have gotten more unsolicited advice than you care to have, so like I said, take it for what it's worth.

Comment

When you say "second pizza stone", I have questions:
          1. Did you mean that you double-stack pizza stones in your grill? If so, why?
          2. What pizza stone do you use? (I'm looking for one).

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fuelleman View Post
            When you say "second pizza stone", I have questions:
            1. Did you mean that you double-stack pizza stones in your grill? If so, why?
            2. What pizza stone do you use? (I'm looking for one).
            Looks like my photo disappeared - I found it again. Basically I use a pizza stone above (cheap one I got from Overstock.com) and another below (in this case a pizza steel I recently got because I'm tired of breaking cheap ceramic ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0765P2477 ). The one above helps radiate heat downward, and I can tell a difference when I use it, but I don't think it's essential.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	60222527299__64F9B4E0-23D4-4106-BC5A-F8FCB6D11D03.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	805855

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here