Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Summit

This grill has a dedicated smoker box & it's own burner.

I bought a part from Weber & asked about this idea. Instead of using wood, why not use pellets, get em burning, turn the burner off or to low.

Amazed Weber said that would not be good, as pellets burn much hotter.

Do you think that was valid advice, or not the Weber guy's forte?

Are you referring to the WSCG or one of the Webber gassers with the smoker box?

Comment

I assume he means the Summit gasser since he refers to the smoker box with its own burner and it's in the Gas sub-channel.

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        Wait, you mean everything's not just lumped under "Recent Posts"??? ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​†‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹

I can't find anything that says if pellets burn hotter than wood or not, but they do have about the same energy content, so I wouldn't think so. However, as we all know pellets burn more efficiently and thus emit less smoke than wood chunks or chips. With the non-optimal placement of the smoker box on the side of the summit gassers, I'm guessing that pellets wouldn't give enough smoke to warrant their use. However that's strictly me spit-balling with no evidence or testing to back it up.

Comment

I have a Weber Summit with the aforementioned smoker box and have used pellets several times. Wood chips actually smolder better but neither one is very effective to be honest. Bottom line I quit trying to put a shine on a turd.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you tried putting a wood chunk on your flavorizer bars? I like to add one when I am doing a big steak via reverse sear.

• Ricorocks
          Ricorocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Just wondering if pellets would, make it useful.

I'll try the wood chunk on flavor bars.
          On reverse sear, I take it to steak to 120, on the pellet smoker, finish on the Weber.

I’d try it while no ones looking just for the hell of it!

Comment

I would stick with the wood. I also have one and you have to monitor it as to make sure the wood doesn't burn out or you'll lose the smoking. I find firing the smoker box up every half an hour or so works best and makes the wood last longer

Comment

I haven't tried pellets in my Summit.
            Obviously there's no reason why you couldn't try it. It just needs LOTS of babysitting. No long smokes with that little box.
            About the only time I use it is when there's something on the rotisserie... I'll let it lay down a little smoke and then let the Summit do its thing.

Comment

Gassers aren’t good smokers. But that’s OK, a good smoker would make an awful gas grill.

Having looked hard at the summit gasser before going with Napoleon (prestige pro 500RSIB) I would just get rid of the smoker box and get the grate extension. Various places sell wedge shaped smoker boxes that fit between the metal tents over the burners. That way smoke can at least be in contact with food as it cooks. You will find the existing smoker box mostly ejects the smoke into the air, not over the food. It’s not a slam on Weber, just the nature of the beast. Gas grills need good ventilation to avoid a kaboom situation. But good ventilation means poor smoke retention.

Also I would use chips. Pellets are great, but they aren’t chips. And chips aren’t chunks. Chunks aren’t logs. Pellets shine for their intended use, pellet grills. Logs would suck in a pellet grill. So which is better? Neither really. They are different things for different applications.

Charcoal Companion Stainless Steel V-Shape Smoker Box For Gas Grill Wood Chips (Long) - CC4066 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WJIQGW..._jDD8CbH8VM0P5

Comment

If you want to use pellets to smoke with on a gas grill, this works well and can be refilled while smoking. the funnel fits in the slot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here