Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Summit. I am thinking of refurbishing mine. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Summit. I am thinking of refurbishing mine. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

I am thinking of replacing a bunch of parts/ refurbishing my Weber Summit. It is the one with 4 burners plus a searing burner plus a smoker box with a burner. I am thinking of putting in new burner tubes since mine are rusty and seem to have compromised holes, and one or two of the spark/lighters. Has anybody done this? Any words of wisdom?

I did this on an old silver series 3 burner. The crossover rusted out so it would not ingite the middle and inner burners. It was still under W when this occured. Weber sent me the entire kit to rebuild it. It came with step by step instuctions and was rather easy to do.

Comment

• Yojumbo
      Yojumbo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RichieB, I am desperately searching for my receipts to see if I am still under warranty because, if I remember correctly (which seems to happen less and less these days) I am within weeks of the 10 year anniversary of buying my grill. Gotta hope. Thanks for your time.

Yeah if your Summit is less than 10 years old, all of the burners should be under warranty. Even if you lost the receipt (I keep stuff like that with the manual, in a filing cabinet), there is probably a date code, serial #, or some way for Weber to know how old it is.

That said, I am running with a 2002 Genesis Silver A (2 burner), and replaced the burners and ignitor a few years back, and I try to scrape out the firebox with a putty knife and hose it all out, and clean it up about once a month during heavy usage seasons. That said, since I replaced the original porcelain coated cast iron grates with a full set of Grillgrates, the firebox, flavorizer bars and burners have stayed significantly cleaner.

Here is a HUGE tip. If your unit has the crossover ignition - little tubes between burners to let the flame cross over and light the other burners - be sure that the slots in the crossover tubes are turned to the side, and not facing up. If the crossover tubes face up, they catch gunk falling from the grill and get clogged up and rust faster.

Comment

• Yojumbo
      Yojumbo commented
      Editing a comment
      If memory serves tho lately, the service here has been terrible I am within weeks of the 10 yr anniversary of my purchase.Since you mention crossover tubes, a question: I have the sear burner in between the 2 middle tubes. It has a kind of crossover metal, yet it still has it's own starter and gas line as do the tubes on either side of it. Do you have any idea what that cross bar is for? Thanks

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yojumbo if each burner has its own igniter you do NOT have crossover ignition. Crossover ignition on older Weber gas grills has a tube that carries gas and flame between burners. Not sure what you are looking at.

Go for it. While the guts are removed take the opportunity to really clean it out. You will easily be able to get exact fit replacement parts, possibly even under warranty direct from Weber.

When you are done you will have essentially a brand new grill (with cosmetic wear only). Good for another 10 years.

Comment

• Yojumbo
      Yojumbo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks SmokeyGator, sadly I did it backwards and scrapped a lot of knuckles in 105 degree heat with a putty knife and an awful lot of beer. (not sure why they say "awful lot". in this case it made for a great Sunday. Well, until I broke my toe...) And NOW I will replace parts. Thanks for your time.

• SmokeyGator
      SmokeyGator commented
      Editing a comment
      No prob. Easy off oven cleaner is your friend.

What SmokeyGator said.

As I live on the top floor of a four story condo building I can't give my Weber the proper cleaning attention it deserves. If I was on the ground floor I'd be OK.

So last year I had a company (college kids working a summer job) come up and give my BBQ's a steam cleaning. They put tarps down, used environmentally sensitive degreasers and did an outstanding job of removing all the gunk I was unable to and had built up over the years. All I had to do was replace the ignitor, burner tubes and flavour bars. It's like having a brand new BBQ.

Comment

• Yojumbo
      Yojumbo commented
      Editing a comment
      OOOOH Steam clean: brilliant idea. Wish I had thought of that before I spent 2 hours in 105 degree heat with a putty knife. Next time for the steam clean. But at least al of you folks are saying mostly the same stuff. Thanks for your time.

I just rebuilt my 21 + y/o Weber Genesis. Burners, igniter, knobs, wheels, tables, etc. Sanded and painted all of the non-enameled metal and added GrillGrates. Came in just under $400, but it was worth it to me. Here's a great source for parts: https://www.grillparts.com/

Comment

• Yojumbo
      Yojumbo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Captain Mike. I had all of the parts sitting in a "shopping cart" on grillparts waiting to hear from the crew here. Appreciate your time.

I refurbished a 2002 Sliver B last year. It is not difficult. You can find parts on www.grillparts.com, www.grill-parts.com, and on amazon. There were many Weber grills sold and many different companies now make parts for them.

Comment

• Yojumbo
      Yojumbo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks bten. Looks like I am going for it.

I have a question about the Weber summit warranty. I see on the website the new ones are 10 years for everything. This is for 2017 on. Do you know what the warranty would be on a 2008? I have a 2007 Weber Genesis and just replaced the Cookbox under the 25 year warranty on that part (well amost done with the work I need three little replacement screws to finish the job. Is the Weber summit cookbox cast aluminum and under that same 25 year warranty? I'm looking at purchasing a used one that the original owner says needs a cookbox replacement.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      From Weber:

- Warranties are not transferable. They apply to the original purchaser of the grill only. So if your relative, friend or neighbor decides to give you their old grill it will not have any warranty coverage.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here