Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber SX-335 Smart Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber SX-335 Smart Grill

Thanks for the review, Max. Posting this at the bottom of the review is too difficult with my ever increasing AMD. So, I took the easier way out.

Of course I dunno every step you took, but, as long as you had 2 Weber Thermistor sensors I would have made sure to swap positions with them to test for sample variation. Then again, maybe you did, I dunno.

The inaccurate temp readings kill the reason to buy the Smart version to start with. It's a shame if you have to buy a Fiberboard to really know whats going on. Moreover, you have to relearn the grill every time Weber does a wi-fi update/upgrade, which may have escaped your notice. Not your notice, Max, the grill user's notice.

Not ready for prime time, IMO. YMMV
    Last edited by zinfella; September 5, 2021, 01:37 PM.

Since the tech does control anything on the grill, relearning the grill after updates probably isn’t that necessary. Just a quick calibration check to know the difference from reality. All I can think is watch out rest of grill world if Weber ever actually figures out the tech part, but they sure haven’t implemented it well yet. It’s also sad they mounted the grill probe in such an odd spot.

I thought very hard about the SX335 before buying the S345 from Costco. I thought having a digital temp on the side shelf and the black frame versus gray would be nice, but decided sans the consistently inaccurate analog gauge and my past history with Weber tech, I’d be happier with a tech-less and I could buy another FB to be dedicated to the Genesis for the price difference if so inclined. I figure the built in connect will quit working at some point and I’d rather have the rough indicator than nothing. I rarely use anything more than the dial and an instant read when using the gasser anyway.

Thanks Max Good for another great review.

Comment

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
      Since the tech does control anything on the grill, relearning the grill after updates probably isn’t that necessary. Just a quick calibration check to know the difference from reality. All I can think is watch out rest of grill world if Weber ever actually figures out the tech part, but they sure haven’t implemented it well yet. It’s also sad they mounted the grill probe in such an odd spot.

I thought very hard about the SX335 before buying the S345 from Costco. I thought having a digital temp on the side shelf and the black frame versus gray would be nice, but decided sans the consistently inaccurate analog gauge and my past history with Weber tech, I’d be happier with a tech-less and I could buy another FB to be dedicated to the Genesis for the price difference if so inclined. I figure the built in connect will quit working at some point and I’d rather have the rough indicator than nothing. I rarely use anything more than the dial and an instant read when using the gasser anyway.

Thanks Max Good for another great review.
      As is, Max found as much as100ËšF difference between the rear wall mounted Weber thermistor sensor and grate mounted FB sensor. With Weber wi-fi updates that could change, although I'm not sure how without repositioning the wall mounted sensor, or adding a second location. Sure, you can guesstimate things and ignore the built in temp display, but then you'd have to also ignore the extra bucks that you put out for this model. It's a grill and it's an oven, one sensor to provide an accurate digital readout for both uses seems unlikely

Let me stipulate, Weber makes food stuff, but his tech buness has not been their finest hour, and I know you are aware. The model that you got from Costco, is a better buy, IMO. My buddy Dave has the model prior to the Costco model (less bells and whistles, but they're basically all the same model, with varying extra features), and he likes it, except for it's inability to sear to our satisfaction, which is also the reason that I don't own one. Many folks love theirs, and they're quite satisfied with how it sears. They're not me, or Dave.

Last September, Costco didn't have that model online, but it was in some of their stores here. Then they decided to discount the existing stock, BBQ season coming ti and end. Not here of course, which makes it strange, unless you consider that Costco headquarters is inWashington state. They got down as low as $599 here in the Phoenix area, as packaged from Weber. I dunno how low the assembled display models got, because they were that last to sell, but it wouldn't surprise me if they went for $499, or less. But now they do have it online, and pricing is back to normal.
      Last edited by zinfella; September 6, 2021, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zinfella View Post
        Let me stipulate, Weber makes food stuff, but his tech buness has not been their finest hour, and I know you are aware. The model that you got from Costco, is a better buy, IMO. My buddy Dave has the model prior to the Costco model (less bells and whistles, but they're basically all the same model, with varying extra features), and he likes it, except for it's inability to sear to our satisfaction, which is also the reason that I don't own one. Many folks love theirs, and they're quite satisfied with how it sears. They're not me, or Dave.
        What are you looking for in a sear? Total char? This is searing from my Genesis.
        Attached Files

Comment

That's a good sear, as long as it's edge to edge rare inside. Generally, that requires direct IR heat at around 1000ËšF, like a charcoal fire.

If we left steaks on Dave's Genesis long enough to get that sear they'd be way overdone.

Comment

Here 'ya go, with a little board sauce on top!

Attached Files

Comment

I’m actually going in the opposite direction. Doing more and more live fire cooking. Technology seems to leave me a bit empty. I understand that everyone is just trying to make good food. My enjoyment is coming from being more hands on. To each their own. Hopefully Weber starts getting the bugs out of their systems before they release them to the public. To me, this seems like a reoccurring theme.

Comment

Smart grilling is kind of dumb.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here