Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Melted down my Genesis II E-410!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jfmorris Sorry about your mishap! Just think, when the rain stops in a few days and you wait another week or so before you work on the grill, the new rust will take your mind off the fire damage. Hang in there.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Hee + Hee, That, Right There, Was Some Purty Danged Dagngitty Funny Stuff...

Sorry to hear about that. Glad you were able to get most of the warp out!

Comment

Sorry to hear about this Jim. Glad the fire did not spread beyond the grill.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point. It was about a foot from the house, but that area is concrete siding or brick.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Bravo DavidNorcross
        Keep Safe, an Well, eh? lol
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 21, 2021, 09:43 PM.

I'm sorry to hear this, jfmorris . It's painful to see the damage done to your nearly new gasser. I'm glad you were able to straighten it out enough to be used again without a problem.

I haven't heard of other instances like yours with Grill Grates, so it's a good learning experience for us all. I'm just sorry it had to be at your expense.

At the end of the day, it's a good testimonial for keeping GGs clean, both the channel/rail side and the flat side, whichever is used for the cook. It's the biggest reason why I clean them down to the metal after every single use, besides the fact that I dislike putting food on gunky grates even if most of the stuff has been burned off.

But you had planned on putting the steaks on the clean flat side. It's just a shame that the damnable fire gods were lying in wait for you on the channel side of those GGs.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; August 22, 2021, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a flexible way to use a gasser, jfmorris . I do it often.

It's good to hear that your Genesis survived the calamity. I'm sure you'll get many more years of good cooks out of it.
        K.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Kathryn, yeah. The firebox is still bowed and comes close to hitting the lid when it closes, and is pitted a good bit on the inside, but it's a grill. The inside ain't so purty, but it'll get the job done.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, those dings will give it character, jfmorris . Plus you'll have a good story to tell, once the incident is a little further out in your rearview mirror. I feel your pain, though. It's always a tough pill to swallow to see damage done to such a fine piece of equipment.

Kathryn

I find myself wondering, given your story, Jim, whether there wasn't a mouse nest or some other Unexpected Flammable Object (UFO ) on the right side of the grill. It doesn't sound like there should have been that much grease buildup in the grill, according to what you've said.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        No such debris in there. I think it was solely due to grease from the kalbi and excess heat buildup in the firebox due to the Grillgrates. If the Grillgrates are salvageable I’ll up my burn off and cleaning regimen.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I did have rats (yes - rats!) get inside the firebox of my old Genesis Silver A. I figured out what was going on - they were crawling up through the grease trap hole - to eat grease and dropped food. I figured it out and lit the grill one time with the rat inside, and it got out fast and never came back. I then relocated the grill after intense cleaning to a different part of the yard, and never had that issue again.

Well, two things happened yesterday.

I cooked on the Genesis II for the first time since the grease fire last week, using the CI grates. Success, even if it was just two puny chicken kabobs!

I also hosed down and dug into the pile of Grillgrates. The two that were at the right side of the grill, where the heat damage to the firebox occurred, are warped beyond recovery. I even jumped up and down on them, and just can't get them flat enough to interlock with any of the other grate panels. The rest of the set are fine - only one had trouble interlocking on one edge, but if I put it all the way to the left, its not an issue. Fortuitously, grillgrate.com had a factory second sale yesterday, and I was able to pick up two 18.8" panels for $12 each, to replace the damaged ones. My set has 6 full panels and a gap panel.

It was certainly different cooking on the regular grates. I am used to the heat spreading action of the Grillgrate panels, as well as the "sizzle" effect of sauces and marinates steaming off in the valleys. To get the kabobs done better, I ended up aligning them with and over a burner, as otherwise they were tending to char more directly over the burners versus in the area between burners.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5978.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.46 MB ID:	1083935Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5983.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	1083934

Comment

I've had a couple grease fires in my Genesis, but nothing that bad. There must have been quite a bit of grease/gunk/debris build up. Well I better get out there and check on mine. Sorry for your mishap.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I think greasy Grillgrates and the fact they trap heat in the firebox was the main cause of damage. There really was not much debris down in the firebox, as the Grillgrates kinda eliminate that.

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          I have had plenty of grease fires on my Webers. Usually during the preheating before a cook. I just let it burn itself out with the lid open. Self-cleaning lol, but those grills were very gunked up with grease as I never cleaned out the box just pre-heat and scraped the cooking grate. I just can't imagine that much grease on the GGs to cause that much fire damage. It would have to have been so bad you wouldn't want to cook on them. Anyway glad you were able to savage the grill!

I watched the series with Bobby Flay, “BBQ Brawl, and I think your recovery from a disaster qualifies you to be on the show next season.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha yeah, I've wanted to watch that, saw it on the guide on Sling one time, but SWMBO had other ideas of what to watch...

I had something similar happen in my Weber Genesis 335 about a month ago. I had cleaned the entire cooker 4 weeks prior but had cooked some sausages and brats a few days earlier. I had it heating at a med-high on the knobs. It had only been on about 15 minutes and when I came out saw the black smoke like Jim. Turned it off but it burned for 2-3 long minutes before going out. I had a GG Griddle across the back and two regular GG across the front. Not blocking the entire area but enough to contain the heat below. It was burning from the piece below the burners that funnels into the grease container. After review I think there was enough stuff on that surface that caught the grease from the sausage. Luckily it didn't get into the grease container since there was a little grease in it.

It didn't mess up anything as I caught it time but I came to the same conclusion as Jim to not put all my GG with the GG griddle on at the same time and heat it using all the burners.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah - if I had preheated a little less time on high, I think I would have been fine. The fire for the most part was at the end of the grill where I had cooked kalbi - beef ribs - about 2 weeks earlier, and I flipped those greasy sections of GrillGrates on that end upside down, putting some congealed grease on the bottom side towards the fire. I think that much like bacon, there was a bunch of grease congealed in the firebox that caused the fire. Lesson learned going forward...

Wow! Glad y’all are safe and no more damage. Glad you are handy to get it functional. If it was me I’d have had to get a new one!

lots of lessons to learn. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwng View Post
          I had something similar happen in my Weber Genesis 335 about a month ago. I had cleaned the entire cooker 4 weeks prior but had cooked some sausages and brats a few days earlier. I had it heating at a med-high on the knobs. It had only been on about 15 minutes and when I came out saw the black smoke like Jim. Turned it off but it burned for 2-3 long minutes before going out. I had a GG Griddle across the back and two regular GG across the front. Not blocking the entire area but enough to contain the heat below. It was burning from the piece below the burners that funnels into the grease container. After review I think there was enough stuff on that surface that caught the grease from the sausage. Luckily it didn't get into the grease container since there was a little grease in it.

It didn't mess up anything as I caught it time but I came to the same conclusion as Jim to not put all my GG with the GG griddle on at the same time and heat it using all the burners.

So just to be clear, Redwng , your GGs were sitting grid-side up with some grease in the channels from the previous cook, and when you lit the grill, that grease dripped through the GGs and started a fire below the burners?

Kathryn

Comment

My son has a used Weber Genesis grill that he’s used for a few years. One time I had to use it to grill up dinner. I lit it up to let it preheat and after a while there was black smoke and a lot of flame. I’m sure it was all grease that was burning, so I turned down the burners and let it burn off. It did burn off and there was no evidence of damage, especially to the extent that you showed us in the pictures.
            That said, I don’t have experience with Grill Grates; but that may have contributed to the meltdown as mentioned previously.
            I wouldn’t be surprised if Weber said NO! because you used different grates that would void a warranty and uses of accessories that it wasn’t engineered for.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not pursuing any warranty replacement of the firebox unless it burns through or something, closer to the end of the 10 year warranty (it is 2.5 years into that at the moment).

I have a set of grill grates for an M Grills M16. I'm not impressed with the GGs. I use the M16 for steaks and the only benefit of the GGs is to use the flat side as a griddle to seer the steak. The other side provides grill marks, but that doesn't match a full sear. And using a SS grill does a much better job for searing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here