Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Genesis II SE-335 - Talk me out of it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been tempted to buy a gas grill several times but I never pulled the trigger. I still have that might as well cook in the kitchen syndrome going on. I do use my camp chef stove a lot though lol.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep trying to talk myself out of it. 5 years ago, the cold never bothered me. I'll still take winters here versus summers in OK, TX or TN though. Our old house had one of the rare external vents around here and a gas stove, so I did cook more indoors.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Tell me about the weather thing. When I first moved to TN the "cold" never bothered me since I moved here from PA after spending several winters in IL. Now if it is below 50 I am complaining. I still fire up the grill though, no matter the temps

Aim higher, go bigger. I decided on a Blaze and still regret not buying a Blaze Professional.

However, if you still want the Weber buy this one! It's discounted because the box is damaged.

Weber Genesis II S-435 Propane Grill with Sear Burner & Side Burner - Stainless Steel - 62006001 available at BBQGuys. The 2019 Weber Genesis II gas grill raises the standard in backyard grilling with the GS4 high-performance grilling system, featuring continuous-spark Infinity ignition, revolutionary stainless steel high performance burners, stainless steel Flavorizer bars with flame view window and a Grease Management System. The Genesis II S-435 features a stainless steel lid and four stainless steel high-performance burners that produce 48,000 BTUs of power, a 12,000 BTU side shelf mounted side burner and a 9,000 BTU sear station burner. This grill comes fully equipped with 7mm stainless steel rod cooking grates, stainless steel flavorizer bars and stainless steel heat deflectors to effectively hold and distribute heat evenly over the 646 square-inch direct-heat cooking surface. A Tuck-Away warming rack provides an additional 198 square-inches for a generous 844 square-inches total of cooking area. This Genesis II S series grill comes iGrill 3 ready, the grill hood has a center-mounted thermometer to monitor cooking temperatures and painted cast-aluminum end caps. A convenient grease management system makes clean-up simple and a fuel gauge provides at-a-glance propane tank level checking. The welded tube-frame, closed cart design with stainless steel doors provides ample prep and storage space with two side shelves and two cart shelves. Two heavy-duty locking casters and two large wheels allow for easy and secure placement. Your BBQ grilling tools are always within reach thanks to six side shelf tool hooks.
    Last edited by Attjack; January 12, 2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Was that from BBQGuys or somewhere else?

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      That is nice!

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy Yes, BBQ Guys. I kept an eye on the warehouse deals page until what I wanted came up.

Hey, I think gassers are great. I use mine year round (Bull product built in). It’s nice for the "need to get dinner done quick" meals and also for some other things - I’ve used the wok on the gasser, a cast iron griddle for breakfast, smash burgers. There are many things the gasser is good for when you just don’t want to use charcoal.

Comment

Why? Get the darn thing and be done with it.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Honestly, the biggest reason I haven't just done it and am trying to talk myself out of it is space. It would be 3 grills on a 10 x 10 patio and my grilling cart would have to go.

If you can wait a bit, Weber may be upgrading Genesis II soon.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Max! I did do a little snooping and it sounds like on the Genesis and Spirit maybe something like an integrated iGrill 3? Not sure what to think on that with my recent experiences with the Weber app with the SmokeFire, over time I'm sure they'll get it all ironed out though.

• Max Good
        Max Good commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that the Smokefire app is fully operational, I like it!

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        The app is much better now, my alerts just only work when my screen is on and Weber Connect app in focus. Do your sound when your in another app and phone locked?

I mostly use my PBC now. I just got a SnS kettle that will probably be my go to grill for most things, but I can't imagine not ever using my gasser.
      Broil King has been good to me.
      I'd look at their Baron line. I think you can get a comparable quality build, with good customer support, 10 year warranty, and more features for less money.

HOME / GRILLS / BARON™ 490 PROBARON™ 490 PRO875244 LP / 875247 NG BARON™ 490 PRO is rated 4.6 out of 5 by 38. y_2024, m_4, d_13, h_5 bvseo_bulk, prod_bvrr, vn_bulk_3.0.41 cp_1, bvpage1 co_hasreviews, tv_0, tr_38 loc_en_US, sid_87524, prod, sort_[SortEntry(order=RELEVANCE, direction=DESCENDING)] clientName_broilking bvseo_sdk, p_sdk, 3.2.1 CLOUD, getAggregateRating, 124.01ms REVIEWS, PRODUCT FALSE FALSE TRUE seo-stg.bazaarvoice.com seo.bazaarvoice.com

But the Weber is available in blue.

If it were me, and I wanted a blue grill, I'd get the Weber. If I didn't want a blue grill, I'd get a Broil King. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Jfrosty27 View Post
        Click image for larger version Name:	10E6A8CB-326C-49EE-8E69-8404EF7FC263.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.10 MB ID:	972777 I also say don’t buy it. I have an older three burner Genesis and very rarely use it. Only about once a year with the rotisserie. For really quick cooks in any kind of weather I have a Char Broil Grill2Go mini gasser. Heats up in a few minutes and gets screaming hot for searing. Platinum medal on the free side review. A snap to clean too. Just over $100.
        I actually think this is an interesting idea, presuming you have a place to set it. Obviously it's only useful of the stuff you want to do fits etc.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          That post definitely has me thinking more. I don't think the Charbroil will be quite big enough and the single zone is undesirable. However, the Napoleon Travel Q might work. Trying to figure out now how hot it can really get. A tailgate grill definitely wouldn't overload the patio.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          glitchy I have considered getting one of those yacht grills which would be a similar thought to this. The plus to one of them is that I could mount it direct to my deck railing and it would take up 0 space... and they survive a marine environment so rust shouldn't be an issue...

glitchy I say do it. I have the Genesis II E-410, the basic 4 burner open cart model. I will admit I have not used it so much since the big griddle came home to roost, but I used it for BBQ chicken this past Sunday afternoon, and it was very convenient to turn it on, go inside and get the chicken, and the grill was "hot enough" to start cooking in 5-10 minutes. I tossed the chicken down (oiled the chicken and applied seasonings), and ran outside to flip it every 10-12 minutes, and it was done in about 30, on medium heat. It gets dark here at 4:30 or so this time of year, so starting a cook at 4pm, I didn't want to wait on charcoal.

Note that I use a full set of Grillgrates, but I keep the Weber grates around, stored under the grill, in case I want to use cast iron on the grill, or do indirect.

I don't have the sear burner, or side burner on this model. I bought it before they brought back the sear burner as an option. My experience with the side burners in the past is that it is no more powerful than my stove burners inside. My dad uses the side burner on his a lot, but I have other burners with a lot more BTU's that I use outside.

What Max says about possibly more integrated electronics kinda bothers me in a gas grill. There's a reason my old Genesis Silver A 2 burner still works - nothing to break! I replaced the burners exactly once since 2002, some other parts, and the regulator once.
        Last edited by jfmorris; January 12, 2021, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris Question for you about the GrillGrates do you use them because you had lots of flare ups without or for other reasons? To me with the different burners it appears the Genesis would flare up less than the Spirits, but maybe that’s not the case? I don’t really love grill grates, mostly for sanitary reasons.

Here you go, on sale for 899: I love trying to spend other people's money

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grills...-66012001-2019

Edit - I think this one is NG though. I don't know enough about them to know if you can use propane on it or not.
        Last edited by klflowers; January 12, 2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the regulator and burners are different for Natural Gas and if I go full size, I want the cabinet doors for a little storage since my little Keter cart will have to go.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          The natural gas and LP models are not convertible, and doing a conversion voids the warranty with Weber. Technically, it can be done, but not with parts supplied by Weber, and not under warranty.

I've been watching Craigslist for one, they seem like capable little grills. If I find one at the right price before I find an acceptable price on a flat top it's probably what I'll end up with.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, i’ve checked the used marketplaces. There’s not near as much out there right now.

Now I have to decide whether to wait for this or not: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-335-gas-grill

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          glitchy technology is all well and good. I love all my smart home stuff, and if I had a pellet grill, would probably want one with remote controls. But having my stove top or gas grill connected seems overkill - to me. Considering the life of my older Genesis gas grills is measured in decades, I don't see the electronics lasting as long as the rest of the grill.

I agree that the black finish is better, long term. Easier to touch up with high temp black spray paint 10 years from now!

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris, I'm guessing the Weber Connect will die long before the rest of the grill, but hey 10 year bumper to bumper, right? I could see a cook like your chicken the other night though being nice not to have to get out the Fireboard/Maverick/Smoke to monitor though, just one Weber probe to stick in a piece of Chicken and instant read them when it gets close. I also don't think the target is us MCS folks with all the other gadgets as much as the normal backyard dabblers with just one grill.
          Last edited by glitchy; January 13, 2021, 11:26 AM.

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Plus, I do like the thought of putting an iGrill grate probe inside the grill and having a more accurate grilling temp displayed on the left shelf versus the inaccurate dial that is on the hood. I could see that being setup permanently.

I have all the grills/smokers you mention. I'm the chief chef and bottle washer in my house so I cook all the time, so when I use my grills outside I probably use my PK 55% of the time, my Genesis 40% of the time and my Weber with Vortex 5%. So if you cook a lot, then yes, I'd say get it.

The only thing I would leave out is the side burner. If I need to use a burner outside, I have a portable burner that cost me $20.
        Last edited by TripleB; January 13, 2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't care much about the side burner, but who knows maybe I'll decide to fry something someday. However, to get the sear burner, seems you have to get a side burner.

I've think I've settled. I was going to go black, but decided I'm getting this because I like the look of the stainless/black much better than the stainless/gray and more importantly it comes with stainless steel grates instead of cast iron and would end up costing me more to buy stainless grates after the fact. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get it sooner rather than later.

You can relax knowing that you’re connected to your Genesis, no matter where you are. Whether prepping side dishes in the kitchen, watching the game, or enjoying time with family, you can view everything your smart grill has to offer – such as cook time, most accurate food & grill temp, and fuel level directly […]

Comment

Great choice!

Comment

I bought a Weber Q 3000 for just this reason. I don’t use it, I am selling it. I will continue to use my kettles and wsm, but,I am trying to use winter to scratch at my love for Italian, and working on new cooks inside that I could work out on a grill as well, come March. If you think you would cook more, I see no reason to not try. When I feel like dealing with the outdoors. I grill something that benefits more from a good charcoal or wood fire grill.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              glitchy, funny story. Several years ago, a friend of mine bought a Weber gasser on sale. I went by his house to look at it, got all excited and went to buy myself one. I ended up buying a WSM. Like me and foreign cars (I know, they are all foreign and made in Mexico, but that least the nameplates are American). Last car purchase for me, I was going to buy a Lexus and ended up with a Silverado lol. I get you, can't beat the convenience of a gasser, even with a pellet grill.

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought my Weber q for 25 dollars from neighbor, I cleaned it up, cooked twice on it, I am hoping to sell it for about 150. come spring. The Weber q is actually pretty hard to move around, had it rolled easier, I would have kept it.

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              klflowers Actually, I should have bought a MAK. I think it's one of the best performers in rain, wind, cold. I just cannot get myself to spend 3 grand on a grill again after the disappointment with the Memphis. I really don't want a gasser, I just don't know what else to get to cook in 25 MPH winds and doesn't need cleaning every cook in the middle of winter. Also, my Subaru was assembled in Indiana ;-)

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here