Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vermont Castings Natural Gas BBQ - difficulty searing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vermont Castings Natural Gas BBQ - difficulty searing?

Hi everyone,

Longtime reader of this website - has been super valuable with refining my BBQ technique!

I have a question regarding my natural gas grill - Vermont Castings Signature Series (looks like this one) - I find it difficult to get it really hot for high temperature searing. My last grill (poor quality - didn't last more than 2 years) had a super hot infra-red "Sear Station" that I could use to sear steaks/roasts in just a couple of minutes! It was so hot it burned the porcelain enamel off the grill grates.

Anyways - on the Vermont Castings - I'd turn all 4 burners up to max, close the lid, and let it heat up for 20 sometimes 30 minutes and the temp would read only about 500°F at the most. Putting meat on it - I do get a bit of a crust after a while but definitely not as hot and as quick as I'd like.

Is it because of the cast iron grates? Or that natural gas doesn't burn quite as hot?

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks!
    Tim

I recommend you invest in some grill grates and use them upside down for searing steak. They work really well on gassers.
    Replace your grill grates or simply add grill accessory to level up your skills. GrillGrates will make your grill better. Shop now.

Comment

GrillGrates will definitely help. I don't recommend Vermont Castings grills for a variety of reasons. Read my review of the Signature Series 3-burner to learn why: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...e-series-grill. Please share your comments at the review page.

Comment

Thanks Max and Dr. ROK for your replies!
        So my understanding of your responses are that the issue is not so much with the heat production from the natural gas grill but rather the grates (cast iron) won't get as hot as the GrillGrates (aluminum) - is that right?
        Or is it rather that the GrillGrates provide a larger flat surface with which to heat up and retain heat for searing?
        I've been eyeing GrillGrates for a while now but I'm not sure I'd get them if it's more of a heat production (BTU?) issue.
        Thanks!
        Tim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here