Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a good outdoor gas cooktop/range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good outdoor gas cooktop/range

I'm interested in purchasing an outdoor gas cooktop/range, preferably standalone, to go on my deck.

I've been looking at the Camp Chef Somerset IV only because it has some features that I like: 30,000 BTU burners, ability to add griddle, pizza oven, etc. if desired. It looks sleek enough for the deck (as opposed to a camp range like Bayou, etc.). However, I have the suspicion that it might be sort of flimsy in construction. It gets some pretty good reviews on Amazon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	91wb3yTbb9L._SL1500_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	294.0 KB ID:	672996

I have not considered Blackstone because I don't want a big griddle with a smaller side burner; I'd rather use the same real estate to have the option of 3 or 4 pots of food cooking at once.

The main intent is to use it to cook the stuff outdoors that I don't like cooking in my kitchen, either for the mess or the smell, like fried foods, and to cook side dishes while I've got my smokers or grills going.

Should I go with this or opt for a higher end outdoor gas grill product (suggestions appreciated)?

I'd be happy with 3 burners as well.

Oh, and it has to run on propane gas.

Thanks in advance for your all's help.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; May 2, 2019, 06:39 AM.

If I remember correctly, you were lookin' for a fryer in the past. If so, How about this:

I don't have one, and Amazon has no reviews yet, so I can't speak to quality.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      That one really won't work for what she wants. It has 2 burners (not 3 or 4), and looking at the pictures, the one on the right appears to not have a grid of any sort over it to hold a regular pot, when the deep fryer is removed. She wants to be cooking in 3 or 4 pots.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked at that Barton but it doesn't do what I want. I really want more powerful burners. You're right, RonB , I'm looking for a frying setup that really works. I'm thinking a CI Dutch oven over one of those 30,000 BTU burners might be just the ticket.

But of course I want it for cooking other things as well, not just frying. Now that I see this option, I'm glad I didn't purchase dedicated fryer. I want a 4 trick pony, not a 1 trick one!

Kathryn

Was cruising through YouTube last night and Guy Fieri did a commercial for that unit so I watched it out of curiosity. It has a bunch of attachments that turn it into all kinds of things; grill, smoker, fryer, plancha, etc.

My only comment is I've seen similar rigs by Camp Chef in Home Depot and they seem kind of junky, not very well made. They are made in China (which doesn't make it necessarily bad) but take that for what it's worth. Blackstone, if you can find something to your liking, is probably your best bet, imo.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Too bad Blackstone doesn't sell 3 or 4 unit cooktops for pots and pans. I don't want a side burner. I already have that with the Summit gasser.

Thanks for the info about the Camp Chef. I haven't seen their products IRL, so I guess I'll have to do that before I actually pull the trigger on one.

Kathryn

fzxdoc Kathryn, what I like about the Camp Chef unit you are looking at is that it has so many accessories available for it, as you mention - pizza ovens, griddle tops, etc. What I don't like is that the cart is really not enclosed at all - its just solid panels across the front (no doors) but nothing on the sides or back. I guess that helps hide the propane tank and all the hoses and junk from the front when you are on your deck though.

Since you are specifically MOST interested in cooking out on the deck to get mess out of the house, I assume you are wanting a stove like this to put pots and pans on, and for that, this has more burners than most, with the flexibility to turn it into a griddle/whatever. I've not seen Blackstone or others that have 4 separate burners that would be suitable for that purpose. The coolest thing I've seen for outdoor cooking this year is this one:

Read our review of this cool combo cooker. With its ample cooking area, solid performance, and versatility for both griddle grilling and deep frying large amounts of food outdoors, the Blackstone Range Top Combo with Bonus Fryer easily earns a Platinum Medal.

But even if not using the optional deep fryer, that only gives you 2 burners, and they are probably too close together to do something like use two stockpots at once.

I'll keep an eye out, but so far what you have found seems to be the best 4 burner outdoor stove replacement that I've come across.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn! Why did I open your link.

I have an older Camp Chef 3-burner that we use for the same purpose. It is very "camp-out" looking and probably wouldn't look at home in a nice patio setting. However, it functions well for the intended purpose and I'm sure there are more aesthetically pleasing units out there. As far as fuel, portable grills/cookers are going to almost always be LP. Looking forward to your selection as I'm contemplating a similar scenario for my outdoor space.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks CaptainMike for the clarification. Although the stainless steel panels are not functional, I would guess that they might add a sturdiness and a sleeker look to the setup.

Hmmm, Dadof3Illinois , I hadn't seen that the cooktop could be taken off and set on a counter or cart. That would be a nice feature if I wanted to dress it up a bit or wanted to invest in a more sturdy cart if needed. Thanks.

Kathryn

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc I’m pretty sure the older version, pro 90 could be broken down semi easy. This new series I’m not sure of?

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll look into it, Dadof3Illinois . Thanks.
      K.

Kathryn, Have you considered getting a few countertop propane or butane burners and using your Summit grill as your outdoor countertop? Two or three countertop burners on the Summit plus its side burner would give you pretty much all you need without taking up any additional deck space.

There's a fair selection over at webrestaurantstore.com as a place to start.

Mike

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      You guys are killing me, jfmorris and MBMorgan . A Kalamazoo setup might be overkill for what I need. The double cooktop cabinet is $8,000+. Wowza!

I really want 30,000 BTU burners. The one on my Summit side burner is 10,600 BTU and it's pretty wimpy.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; May 3, 2019, 06:02 AM.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Here's a somewhat pricey model (not quite as high as Kalamazoo), with either pedestal or cabinet base. Two burners, bunch of optional accessories, meets your heating requirements, etc.

I have their cheapest grill, and it's a winner.

The Patio is back. The newest generation of the world’s first infrared grill. We still hit high—and even higher—highs, but we’ve dropped our lows to a temperate 200°F. And our 100% infrared grilling system—the only one available today—preserves up to 35% more of the natural essence already in your food. We may have even saved

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      It was fun to go through that Tec site, EdF . It's more than I want, for the space I have for it. The price is more comfortable than the Kalamazoo. If I didn't already have a Summit gasser, it would be a nice fit. Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless.

Kathryn

Kathryn, - I found a YouTube video showcasing the Camp Chef Somerset IV. In it, that front panel seems to have been removed. FWIW, I think it looks better without the panel.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah - that front panel appears to be 2 peices that run side to side, one above the other, in the photos. I.e. its not even doors. Not sure why its even there, other than just to hide stuff when in a nice deck setup. If they are going to enclose it, why not do it all the way, with some ventilation opening on the back, like an enclosed gas grill cart. Especially for the list price...

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, MBMorgan , for that You Tube link.

I agree, jfmorris , too bad those front panels aren't doors. But then my WSCGC has storage space with no enclosure either. I like the look of the panels only because the range looks sleeker, more like it belongs on a patio or deck and not out in a campsite.

Kathryn

fzxdoc Kathryn, sounds like you know what you want, and I agree - a 30,000 BTU burner is a lot more output than most stoves, inside or out. The Camp Chef you already found has four 30,000 BTU burners.

I've looked several times today, and cannot find anything as nice that has 4 burners, and has that level of heat output with that number of burners. The only way you probably will get more output than that is with separate banjo or jet burner, and you won't find more than one or two burners in a low to the ground camp style setup in that type cooker. I have a couple of Bayou Classic's that I use for brewing, and those bad boys can put out 60,000 or even 100-300,000 BTU's, depending on the burner and regulator.

Most of the stuff from Blackstone is more oriented towards flat tops, and most flat top cookers, even the ones with a removable top, have front to back burners in a strop, not a round one like you want for use with pots.

Let us know if you find something better, but right now I am leaning towards the Summerset IV as the best tool for the job. Being on a wheeled cart like your grill, you can move things around to suit you as well, which is nice.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you're right, jfmorris . Thank you for analyzing my options. I looked all through the Blackstone site and could not find something similar.

The Somerset IV has the flexibility I want; I'm still wondering about the build quality.

K.

That looks really cool! I just wish I could find one locally...
    Still, wouldn't be the first time I purchased something site unseen. ;-)

I'm gonna need a bigger patio. LOL

Comment

I just found this video about the Camp Chef gas ranges. Maybe it was the one Troutman mentioned. Fieri talks a lot about the quality of the product given he abuse he has given it over the years.

Plus he's using it for exactly what I want to do (or at least one of the things I want to do)--cook on a rangetop that keeps the mess and smoke out of the kitchen.

Kathryn

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Now my MCS just peaked again...🙄🙄🙄...Ha

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Good video, and if I ever get a camper, one of those 3 burner stoves in the video is gonna get stored underneath!

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        I forgot to mention...I found him a whole lot less annoying in this video. LOL
        Now I’m seriously looking them over.

Seems to me the Camp Chef and Blackstone griddles get hot enough that you could just heat a cast iron pan or dutch oven filled with oil and use that as a fryer, without needing to sacrifice griddle space for a gas stove. Any oil that splatters onto the griddle surface becomes instant seasoning oil.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        But you can have a full griddle as well (actually 2 griddles side by side) with the Camp Chef Somerset IV. Also, you can set a pizza oven, grill, and other options on top of the gas burners, so it's more versatile than just a griddle. At least that's how I think it is from my research!

Kathryn

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, that’s true. I was thinking more about the fryer option. You can use the griddle for cooking and as a heating element at the same time. But if you are wanting more griddle space, then that one certainly is going to give you plenty. As for pizza, you could just get some cheap fire bricks and turn your kettle (if you have one) into a capable pizza oven. Not trying to put a damper on your MCS... that would not be nice.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, ColonialDawg for the pizza oven thought. You're right, I for sure want to fry on this range, but I want to use is for cooking side dishes too while I'm using my grills/smokers.

K.

I've always liked the looks and sturdiness of those Camp Chef 2 & 3 burner foldable stoves for camping. I know it's not what you're asking about, definitely not sleek enough for the back deck & entertaining. But I think they make some nice stuff.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        That's exactly what I want to know, Huskee , if there is quality at this price point for the Somerset IV. It's good to hear that you feel they make a quality product for some of their other stoves/griddles, etc. Hopefully that translates to this product as well.

Thanks!

Kathryn

fzxdoc Kathryn, I only have to think that the build quality of the Somerset IV will be as good or better than the portable 3 burner unit shown in that video. The build quality seems high just from watching the video - I've not handled one myself, but the folding legs and everything else look pretty solid. One built not to collapse and store in a bag would have to be even sturdier. Amazon has it for $297, and while there are only 36 reviews, the average is 4 stars. Most seem 5 stars. I would go read some of those, but appears to me most people love this unit.

Comment

What’s your budget? One of my neighbors scored a restaurant grade thing with 6 burners (bar type like a gas grill) and built an island to house it. 4 burners are for a griddle, two are used as a grill. Griddle top is stainless steel. Alternatively you can buy the camp chef, ditch the cheesy cart, and turn the head into a built in (consult a pro, safety first).

The house i bought came with an outdoor cooking area. The gas grill (Sonoma by Altima, made for Lowe’s) was recently replaced by a Napoleon pro500rsib. But the island with a sink, a small griddle, and 2 eyes is still serviceable. I’m thinking of taking my blackstone griddle off the cart and making it a built in, the new gas grill is wider than the old one so it doesn’t fit in the space soon to me vacant. The griddle will fit perfectly.

Comment

I'm not looking for an upgrade to my deck cooking area, SmokeyGator . I just want an outdoor gas range, portable. If I was redesigning that area, then I'd look to do a nice built-in outdoor kitchen like you have for sure. Enjoy using your outdoor cooking setup, it sounds wonderful.

Kathryn

Comment

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t have anything built in. It’s all on carts. A neighbor has a built in, its nice but takes up a lot of space. I’m thinking of converting my blackstone to a built in or faux built in, once I deep 6 the old gas grill.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here