Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use Water pan on any long cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Water pan on any long cook

We gas grill users know how hard it is to keep the temperature regulated on those long cooks where we need to keep the temp low. I've found that, cooking indirectly of course, a pan of water under the meat helps a lot with keeping temp fluctuations down. I use an oven broiler pan filled most of the way. It will not boil out when cooking at 225 or thereabouts.

Yep it sure does, on any other grill/smoker too. Gas grills, due to their nature, are not sealed well at all and therefore have problems holding a steady temp, then when the temps are dialed up they can spike. They are best for searing but it sounds like you've found one of the tricks to using them for the long haul low & slow. Good job!

Have you ever tried an infrared gas grill? I use a cheaper CharBroil one and love it to pieces. No good for winter time use (except on high) but in normal weather it makes some nice food.

Comment

For my cheesy 7-in-1, I used to use the water pan to help even out the heat. I still do when I need humidity for certain cooks. But, now, I use cheap porcelain tiles, as they hold a lot of heat, and you have more control of where you want your humidity to be. In other words, you can place a water pan on top of the tiles when higher humidity is needed, but you won't sacrifice heat retention and so forth if you don't need high humidity. Chicken comes to mind when I use the tiles. I started this procedure in my oven when I started getting "anal" about my bread, and it has progressed from there. It is inexpensive, adaptable, and highly effective, in my experience. Thermal mass is good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here