Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help advising Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help advising Dad

He is 82 and has a 15 year old Weber "silver". that has just about bit the dust. burners and flavororizer bars both needs replacing along with grates. Thus, he has started looking. We looked at the reviews of the Cuisinart 5 burner, 3 in 1, and the weber Genesis 315. Weber is $140 more and does not have sear burner. But the construction is better. Any thoughts.

Weber

Comment

Weber, and if you want to consider an alternative, Broil King.

Comment

Weber announced their new Genesis series. Looks like 4 and 3 burner. Smart version out in spring.

The Weber Genesis 2022 Grill revolutionizes the art of grilling, transforming your backyard into a culinary hot spot. Get ready to discover a world of endless possibilities.

Comment

Maybe consider a pellet grill.

Comment

What does he normally cook?

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, Tis the place to start.

• DavidNorcross
              DavidNorcross commented
              Editing a comment
              ^^This^^

If you’re near your Dad, just buy replacement parts and restore. Much cheaper. I have an old "Silver" and have replaced parts a couple of times. Still runs great.

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              I was going to mention this as well.

Thanks everyone for the ideas

Comment

I gave my daughter a 2002 Weber Genesis Silver A (2 burner) a year and a half ago when she got married, after I had refurbed it with parts from grillparts.com - its still going strong at 20 years old, and is better built than most of the newer grills. That said, I would look for another Weber. You might find some of the current models on clearance at places like Home Depot. I got a 4 burner Genesis II for $399 (regularly about $1000!) in January 2019 at the local Home Depot, as they were clearing out discontinued models and colors to make room for the new models showing up from Weber in the spring.

Comment

Well, Dad finally broke down and bought. got the Webber Spirit E330. we got it home yesterday and did the initial burn off last night. guess I''l be getting either grill grates or a new thermometer for him for father's day (probably early!).

Sear burner and side burner (not a big fan of the side burners..). I'll post pic after a couple of cooks.

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That Spirit is a great grill, I had one and sold it when I got a SmokeFire as I never used it, then ended up buying a Genesis II when I sent the SmokeFire back to Weber…almost bought another Spirit E330.

Buy him a Thermapen One.

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice grill. I had gassers for over 20 years and I don’t think I used the side burner more than half a dozen times. But if it’s there, well, great.

Actually, if you make country style ribs a lot, you can set it up with bbq sauce for the long simmer. Grill the ribs, then into the sauce on simmer for about an hour. No need to go inside.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My dad (79) bought the Spirit E330 when he moved here 4-5 years ago, and loves it. He actually uses the side burner a lot as their new house has a glass cooktop that instructs them not to use cast iron on it. So he fries bacon outside on the back porch in his 12" skillet, or on a cast iron griddle that he tosses down on the grill grates.

He went from a large offset and a large gas grill that he left behind at the house he sold, to this one grill, and has no regrets.
                  Last edited by jfmorris; February 17, 2022, 02:41 PM.

Wow, at 82 he's getting a new grill I hope I'm that optimistic when I hit 82.....

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, how old are you? 🕶

• RichardCullip
                  RichardCullip commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Turned 70 last Nov

If Costco still has the S-345 Genesis II, I think it's a nice grill. If you're going to buy new, probably act fast to find something before the new models with the higher prices take over...you might be able to find some of last years Genesis II on clearance before the new 2022 models take over.

However, if he likes the grill he has, I'm with TripleB just get new burners and flavorizer bars (and even grates if needed). I replaced my flavorizer bars and grates a couple times over 18 years. However, I do like the north/south burners on the new grills better than the old east/west. The parts would be cheaper than a new grill and you can even find aftermarket stainless flavorizer bars on Amazon most of the time.

Comment

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  See #10 above 🙂

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL, missed it obviously holehogg.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here