Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood chunk smoking insert for gas grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood chunk smoking insert for gas grills

I have a pellet smoker but have never really liked the smoke flavor of pellets as a fuel source. I dont know what it is about them but it just isn't as meaty as wood smoke. Using a pellet tube in it just amplified that.

So, I just got a new Prestige p500RSIB and have been impressed with how well it maintains temps, and would like to try a prime rib roast on the rotisserie. What would you guys suggest to burn wood chunks in it?

I see Napoleon makes a charcoal insert for the grill, which may work. It looks like a mess to clean up after though.
    Last edited by CoryS; March 29, 2019, 08:54 AM.

I like this because it sits on the heat deflectors and does not take any grill space.

Comment

I go low tech on the gas passer and just wrap wood chunks in foil and set it over a burner deflector. Cheerfully cheap.

Comment

I agree with CaptainMike. Cheap & easy and will accomplish what you want. Foil, or even a little foil tray, will help prevent the mess from the ash, but not really needed if ash on the burner doesn't worry you, or if you regularly clean your grill with a vac anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder77 View Post
          I like this because it sits on the heat deflectors and does not take any grill space.
          https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charcoal...4066/204780032
          Looks nice, does it fit wood chunks or just chips?

Comment

• CoryS
            CoryS commented
            Editing a comment
            Is the smoke flavor better than pellets?

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            I cannot speak to whether the flavor is better than pellets. I have never used them.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Depends on the chunks. Depends on the pellets. Good pellets put out nice smoke. Bad chunks do not. Gas grill ventilation makes it take a higher quantity of smoke to get good smoke adherence.

Ideal for BBQ lovers across the country, DiamondKingSmoker offers a smoker/cooker box that turns any grill into a smoker. Visit Our website to learn more.

Comment

I'm with CaptainMike and Huskee . I just make one (or several) tennis-ball sized smoke bombs. I fill them with chips rather than chunks, seal them up real tight, make just two or three small slits with a sharp knife, and set one or more at a time on the flame protector shields. You want the slits small enough that smoke can escape but they don't let oxygen in. If too much air gets in, you can get flame throwers rather than smoke bombs.

Comment

Honestly, trying to impart smoked flavor in a gasser is like putting a silk purse on a sow’s ear...at the end of the day it’s still a pig. Never had much luck with the smoker boxes. With the one I have there is so much air rushing through the open lid that it just sucks the smoke up and out before it can do any good. My opinion, buy a true smoker.

Comment

• CoryS
                CoryS commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a smoker, it doesn't have a rotisserie though. Worth a shot, I have been really impressed with how well this Napoleon seals...I had a really hard time even getting temps to drop after warming it up on high

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I own a Weber Summit and I believe the Napoleon is the same, no gassers seal for a reason. The reason is safety concerns over capturing fumes in the cooker. But hey, iIf its works for you, then enjoy the results !!

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                I got okay flavor on my Weber Genesis with wood chunks on the flavorizer bars. I like that thing above, to control the ash.

But, once I got the Grilla, I don't use the Weber for smoking anymore. Different strokes to move the world.

Now that I have a rotisserie for the Weber, I think I will be back in the smoking on the gasser, just for the kiss of smoke, but anything that needs real smoke will be Grilla'd.

Try a small disposable foil pan, put a chunk of wood in it. Set it on the burner. If you're not worried about ash mess, if you're good at cleaning, set it right on the burner. I vote chunk as opposed to chips, but you can't go wrong trying any method that seems right to you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here