Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Napoleon 825/664 or Lynx Sedona or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Napoleon 825/664 or Lynx Sedona or ?

It may finally be time to upgrade from my early 2000's Weber 26" Genesis. My biggest complaint is the lack of sear burner and the burner layout. It came from the era of front/middle/back and I just can't get a good indirect area set up. I don't entertain a ton, but do have a family of 7.

I have the opportunity to pick up a Napoleon 825 or a 665 or a Lynx Sedona 36" (on carts) for similar prices locally. From what I can decipher, the major difference is the placement of the sear burner. On the 825 it would be in a separate head, the 665 it would be on the side, and in the Sedona it would be under the same hood. The Sedona has an assisted open hood and ceramic briquettes.

I've seen them all in a showroom but used none of them. The 825 would be very large on my patio, but would fit. I have a MAK pellet smoker, so this does not need to do double duty.

Is there an advantage to either layout? Does the separate head of the 825 offer any significant advantage? Would it work as a pizza oven? Does anyone use the charcoal option of the Napoleon? Is there another difference that I am missing?

Thanks for any insights!

Welcome! Thanks for joining up.

Great question. I have no clue myself but I wanted to let you know I summoned Max Good to see if he might be able to help out, and surely others will have some advice soon...stay tuned...

Comment

No idea on any of those, but dang that Napoleon 825 looks sweet!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

I don't have a gasser, so I can't help.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! And I’m looking forward to Max Good s insights!
          Last edited by Mhp; March 17, 2023, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, No gasser here. But if your looking for a pellet smoker I can recommend the LSG.

Comment

I endorse the Napoleon over the Lynx Sedona. I have the Napoleon 500 Prestige Pro which has 4 burners under the hood and a side Infrared burner. I did look closely at the Lynx line (their higher end offerings as well as the Sedona line). I also looked at (and owned for a brief while) Hestan's Aspire, as well as the Blaze (which I think is better than the Sedona line, Twin Eagles, AOG, DCS, Weber's Summit line, and a number of other gassers.

Reasons I would pick Napoleon over the Sedona:

1. The side burner gives you the most flexibility for setting up the main cooking area for indirect/direct cooking. It also allows searing without any intrusion into the main cooking area or trying to use the IR burner as just a heat source. I can't recall if the Sedona allows for easy removal of the IR burner and replace it with a regular burner as does the Blaze gassers.
              2. The Sedona's ceramic briquettes design leads to more flare-ups and grease fire issues. The Napoleon's "open" style using separate deflectors to allow grease and food to drop to the grease management area is better IMHO. The grease tray is shaped to flow grease to the collection pot, and you can get already-made foil liners for that tray.
              3. The inner cast main body reduces potential rust issues and is easy to clean.
              4. The height of the hood on the Napoleon reduces any rotisserie issues (size of food, leaving the main grates in).
              5. The Sedona is the lower end of the Lynx line, so be aware of the difference in warranty coverage between the grills.

Hope this helps. Lynx is not a bad choice - but I do think the Napoleon design and setup is superior.

PS. I also have a MAK 2 Star for smoking and low and slow cooking.

Comment

Thanks GolfGeezer Do you think a good deal on the 825 warrants buying it over a 500 or 665? Does the extra hood make a difference?

Comment

Mhp Wow, that 825 is a beast. Waaay too large for me as I rarely cook for more than 2, 4 when we have guests. I did toy with the 665, but it also was too large for what I do, and it would eat up my backyard patio with the MAK, a Pit Boss griddle and a storage cabinet that I have. I suppose the storage of the 825 could replace my existing, separate one.

Also, once you get past 4 burners plus the side burner, the larger ones only make sense to me if you go NG - Natural Gas. LP tanks just get hammered if you really use those larger grills fully. So, to me, it comes down more to your need for cooking area and if you can go NG. Otherwise, the 825 looks sweet!

Comment

GolfGeezer did a mighty fine job of describing the Napoleon. Second his emotion of WoW the 825 & its size. I am not in either of ya’ll league havin the baby, the Rogue. My 1 1/2 cents worth is, the side IR burner is as we use to say, nah I’m not going to say it, so I will say it’s rilly, rilly good man. I to am pressed fer room havin a SnS, a UDS vertical 30 gal & a few smaller cookers. I’m going on my 6th year with the Napoleon & it has performed admirably, cept fer the side burner, bombs away, yessir!

Comment

• Clawbear57
                      Clawbear57 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Welcome to the pit from NC.

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! 🙃

Looks like our PM Club members have shared lots of good info and advice here. I can't think of any additional comments.

Comment

I have had both DCS and Alfresco. Both are great.

Comment

One of our members asks if there is, "a benefit to the separate head of the sear burner? Is it worth the loss of main grilling space of say a 665 or is it better to have the sear burner inside the same hood as the grill." Integration of a ceramic infrared burner with conventional gas burners provides 2 zones. Locating the IR burner under the hood, next to the conventional burners still creates 2 zones, but separating the IR and conventional burners obviously creates better 2 zone isolation. To some degree this a personal preference and other features of each model under consideration will all enter into the buyer's final decision.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
                          GolfGeezer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My observation, having had gassers with both setups, is that having one under the hood limits the space for indirect because you do not want any food placed over the IR burner when it is turned off. In that situation, the IR burner must be used like a conventional burner, as a heat source for indirect cooking. Most cooks with the IR burner require the hood open.
                          The Blaze allows easy swapping of the internal IR burner for a conventional burner, so that limitation is overcome. Just my $.02.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here