Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time steak cook on rogue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time steak cook on rogue

I have a brand new rogue. Cooked steaks on it for the first time. Used whole foods dry-aged prime new york strip. Sous vide to 133F Put on the infrared burner to sear. There were immediate flames and burning. I tried 2 minutes on one side and 1.5 minutes on the other side. The steaks had a nice sear but even in that short time had a burned taste. How do you use the infrared burner to sear? Would a grill grate help? I had the burner set to max. I would appreciate your input. Thanks, Rob

Read our article on Reverse Sear methods which instructs how to reverse sear using Sous Vide.https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...cooking-temps/
    Rogue's IR burner is ideal to finish Sous Vide steaks, but don't leave steaks on a screaming hot IR burner for 2 minutes. Flip them every 20-30 seconds to develop a nice brown crust. Check internal temp after a couple minutes and yank at around 130°F.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 I have the Napoleon 500 Pro with side IR burner. 30-45 second flipping with burner on high. I used to SV then sear. Now I turn on 1 burner on the “regular” main, pre-heat, then front sear the steaks and place on the indirect side of the main grates. When the IT of the steaks hit 130-132*, pulled and served.

Use an infra red thermometer (make sure you buy one that goes higher than 700°--many top out at 500°) and check the temp of the cooking surface before adding the steak.

At one time I used "screaming hot" surfaces to sear off SV steaks but have found that I actually get a better crust by keeping the cooking surface temperature around 500° and flipping every 20 to 30 seconds to avoid an "over char".

I do this because after drying the steak or chop off from the SV step, I like to coat it with Duck Fat Spray and sprinkle on a tasty rub.

For me, keeping the cooking surface temp below 500° and flipping often preserves the rub's flavor and prevents burning.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; January 29, 2023, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, fracmeister. I'm seeing the end of the tunnel, hopefully completely out of it in a month or two after some physical therapy. Yay for that.

In the meanwhile, recovery progress seems to be moving at a faster pace than during the past 4 months.

Kathryn

• RobertHagens
      RobertHagens commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Kathryn, that duck spray looks amazing! Can you share what rub you apply after SV?

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      RobertHagens , I use several rubs for SV steaks and chops. Since I don't salt the meat, usually, before SV, I can use a rub with a high salt content like Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning or Montreal Steak Seasoning. Otherwise, I use salt, pepper, and a rub like Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub (no salt) or Black Ops Carne Crosta.

HTH,
      Kathryn

That infra-red side burner is to die for. There are times it is the only thing I light up.

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon.
      Sounds like a good cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here