Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Turkey on My Blaze Four Burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Turkey on My Blaze Four Burner

Followed all Meatheads directions to a tee. Dry brined, set up the grill to cook indirect, temp held nicely around 325, used my Maverick digital thermometer to monitor bird and grill temp. Cooked till Breast was 160 & thigh was 180. It was delicious. But, here's the RUB. Oiled the bird put some Memphis Dust on. This was a 25 lb bird folks and it cooked in 2 hrs. and the skin turned to charcoal. Ugliest bird I ever BBQ ed but very tasty. I quickly peeled all the skin off and Told my guests that the skin wasn't good for em'. I have BBQ ed many a turkey on a Weber charcoal grill & they come out a beautiful golden brown. Should I have lowered the temp or omitted the rub?

If I were to take a guess, I would say the sugar content in the Memphis Dust was your culprit. Generally speaking, with foul and other "higher" temp cooks, you will want to stay away from the sugary rubs. If anything many do a glaze at the end, but not for the entire cook.

Maybe try the Simon and Garfunkel next time, no sugar in that one.

Hey the only way they would have known is if you told them. Nice cover story

Nick

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here