Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket on a pellet grill with post oak pellets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket on a pellet grill with post oak pellets

Has anyone tried this? I've been doing some research and a lot of guys talk about using post oak, and i found some companies that make 100% post oak pellets. Should I just buy a bag and use only that? or better to mix them with something else.

Thanks!!!

Not sure it would make a big enough difference to notice. I use a blend, I think it has maple, hickory, and something else. I just know the bag weighs 40 pounds and with it on my shoulder it is not easy holding another bag and getting my wal-mart receipt out my pocket to prove I ain't stealing this crap.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet if ya looked around a bit, you could find a shopping cart. They have four wheels and are made from wire rod. I think Walmart's are blue. Then ya don't have to carry those bags...
      Last edited by RonB; October 24, 2019, 04:54 PM.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Depending on where you live, if you just grab a bag and run out you get a special discount.

I like a BBQers Delight pecan/cherry mix. That would work though.. Might also be good with some steaks then seared. Let us know what you end up doing.
    Welcome to the Pit from the California Delta

Comment

If I am not mistaken, all bbqers delight pellets have a base of oak and then the flavor wood ie cherry, pecan, ... They also have an all oak pellet as well. Post oak gets it's rep from the bbq state Texas where post oak is abundant.

Comment

I would go with it. It will give you more smoke flavor than a mix and be more realistic to Texas smoke.

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          Texas smoke???? Now I know what my problem has been. I've been using California smoke on my meats ; )

I have not used "Post Oak", at least knowingly. Lumberjack has a 100% Oak pellet offering which is what I use for Briskets. Their pellets are also good for high heat pellet smoking, I find I can get quite a bit higher temps with their Oak than with cherry, apple or mixes. I do not use hickory or mesquite, so not sure how those would work.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Pure mesquite should burn hotter, hickory will give a nice smoke flavor more than oak.

Just for informational definition: Post oak: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_stellata It is most often found in harsh areas, like Texas.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          What are you trying to say? 😁😜

Did just this very thing last Friday. 14 lb prime brisket on my Yoder YS640 with B&B post oak pellets. Took about 9 hours at 275 give or take. Wrapped in foil (which I don’t usually do) at 180. Probe tender at 203. Was extremely tender and tasty. Nice very mellow smoke profile. Rave reviews.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          And one assumes Texas Larry knows a thing about Texas flavor. ;-)

• MrPizzle
          MrPizzle commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry to bring up an old topic but I’ve been wanting to try the B&B Post Oak Pellets but outside of Texas it’s impossible to get. Are they really that much better than plain oak pellets? Thank you Sir.

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          MrPizzle I don’t think there is a big difference. Post oak is just plentiful around here I guess.

Texans is a big and varied place. Lots of different flavors!

Comment

awesome guys thanks a ton! I have a Webber kettle and a small traeger grill. Does anyone think there is any advantage to doing the first 2-3 hours on the kettle to help accelerate the bark? I've seen a lot of youtube videos of pellet briskets and a lot of them look pretty crappy to be honest.

Comment

Texas Larry I just bought a bag of post oak and hickory for my Yoder. I'm still new to the pellet world and looking forward to trying them out on brisket or chucks. Glad to hear oak worked good for you.

Comment

I use a pellet blend. I can't detect flavor differences in the finished product with different pellet woods. I'm not sure what you consider a crappy looking bark,. but there is no problem developing a good bark with a pellet cooker, a good rub, and proper cook temperatures and times.

Comment

I have not had complaints about the bark on the Grilla, but that's the OG Grilla. Could not speak to a different format cooker, but I would think that the natural convection current created by the fan would be conducive to good bark. (funny thing though... my gasser running low and slow made the densest bark I've ever had. I think the airflow (as it's so vented) was the why.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here