Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turning pellets back into dust to use in a cold smoke generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning pellets back into dust to use in a cold smoke generator?

I got a spiral shaped cold smoke generator today and I didn't order "wood dust" for it. The instructions are pretty clear that very small wood chips do not work and that one needs "dust" the consistency of sawdust to make this thing work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	814BM-ep7IL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1352967

There are plenty of places that will sell me that dust, but none of them can get it to me by tomorrow (today).

I'm about to borrow some of my buddy's Traeger pellets and commence to whacking them with a mallet to do a little experimenting. Those pellets were made from dust, right? In my mind they can be turned back into dust. (Dust to pellets, pellets to dust. All we are is...)

I get one hit from a google search from a different BBQ forum and there is some discussion there about soaking the pellets so that they fall apart naturally, then drying the dust to use in a cold smoker. I don't think I'm that patient. BUT I thought that if this has been done before, AR is the right place to find out!

Thank you in advance!

Brian

the best way honestly would be to soak them, crumble them, then dry them in the oven... but instead of all that, just use some foil and make a version of the amazn smoke tray and use the pellets as is..

Comment

Mr Pellet meet Ms. Blender.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        I just blended a bunch and it appears that blender is a great solution! Smoking this afternoon with pics to follow! Thanks.

Name:	20221230_093604.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1353160

Name:	20221230_094149.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1353161

The first grind!

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe her exact words in the text were "I thought you were going to use the old food processer instead of the blender!" I assured her that the blender survived and that the blades were still sharp. It's clean and back on the shelf (for the next time I need to grind pellets, er, sharpen the blades on the blender using special honing pellets...)

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha! Classic!

Two hours in on my first cold smoke run in the Lang. It's weird seeing smoke come out with no heat inside. The blender made dust seems to be burning just fine!

Name:	20221230_152720.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	1353445 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221230_152723.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1353446 Preliminary thin salmon filet and gouda and cheddar for the trial run.

Comment

Good idea about the blender. I don't use kitchen appliances any more for my projects that SWMBO is likely to use. That stopped on the day I was going to boil a badger skull to clean it to the bone. She made it very clear that not only was I not going to use the spaghetti pot she had used for dinner the night before, I was not going to use the same stove or even the same kitchen. It's been fun married for nearly 57 years but also a challenge.😁

Comment

• Purc
          Purc commented
          Editing a comment
          happy wife, happy life !

• wu7y
          wu7y commented
          Editing a comment
          True that! But after this long the challenges are easier to see coming.

If anyone in my household is going to do weird things with kitchen equipment, it most likely will be me, since my spouse isn't too adventurous in the kitchen.

I think I'd not use my good Vollrath stock pots for boiling a badger skull, however. That might be a bridge too far.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here