Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bear Mountain pellets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear Mountain pellets

I went to running today for some lumber Jack pellets. Well they did not have any. So I did find some Bear Mountain pellets. Has anybody used them and how are they?

They’re your typical 70-80% oak pellets for single species. I haven’t tried any of their blends. In my experience there’s pretty much two differences in pellets amongst all the brands. How much oak/alder base wood is there (less flavor) and how much if any bark do they use (more ash). Many special blends have none or far less oak/alder base wood.

Unless I’m comparing LJ or CookinPellets to the others, I find little difference in much of any of the rest. The exception being on a Weber SmokeFire that needs the smaller diameter pellets LJ makes to feed well.

Comment

I’ve used them more than lumberjack as they’re easier to find in the Chicago area. I love them and they’ve been my go when I see them.

I stocked up on the Pit Boss and Costco brand pellets though so I haven’t bought them in a while. I like their bold bag.

Comment

They are my personal favorites. Always a good bag, very little dust. I like their Bold, I use it pretty much exclusively now. Sometimes their website would offer BOGO sales and I try to stock up when I'd see that, haven't seen that in a while though.

Comment

• rwalters
          rwalters commented
          Editing a comment
          Funny you should mention it. Right now. Coupon code: BOGO50 gets you one bag @ 50% off for each regular priced bag. You can buy up to 3 bags and get another 3 at 50% off. I did it twice with 2 different email addresses

Not as good at a true BOGO, but brings a 20lb bag down to about $13 and they don’t charge tax. Only a few cents more than my local TSC and I can have it shipped to my door AND have way more selection. I to prefer the Bold Blend.

I've used them with good success.

Comment

They had a string of bad batches that were devastating new MAK owners about 2ish years ago (that's what MAK ships with a new grill). Anyway, haven't heard any grumblings since that 3-4 month period. I thought they were decent, I wouldn't mail order them, but if they had 'em locally I'd likely use a bag from time to time.

Comment

I use pre pellet pellets.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              Okay, I lol'ed at that.

I have used them often. No problems at all. I also use the smokehouse pellet from Sams and like them as well.

Comment

My Camp Chef seems to run more consistent using the smaller in diameter Lumberjack pellets. I do like Bear Mountain when roasting at higher temps not on the smoke settings.

Comment

Thanks everybody, I feel better about the pellets I bought and will try them out on a brisket this Saturday/Sunday.

Again thanks!

Comment

• RiverJeff
                  RiverJeff commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm also lumberjack guy seen this bear pellets next to lumberjacks at our local hardware store usually the lumberjacks go first! Please report back!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here