Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sighted today at Costco: Kirkland Pellets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sighted today at Costco: Kirkland Pellets

40 pound bag of wood pellets for $12.99. This is their Carlsbad, CA store. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2214.jpg
Views:	1701
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1238285

I'd try them at that price. I got Bear Mountain at local Tractor Supply today for 7.99 / 20lb bag. Good at that price I guess, but I'm new to pellets.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Bear Mountain are my personal favorites. HUGE fan of their Bold flavor.

• rickd972
      rickd972 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. I got a bold and a gourmet blend

That’s a very good price for 40 lbs for SoCal. I’ll have to check the ones near me in San Juan Capistrano.

Comment

I saw them at the Niles, IL Costco (Chicago burb) and I did pick one up. Haven’t tried them yet but what do I have to lose? I mean, I’m a Cubs and a Bears fan.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Well at least our Cubbies finally won today…🙄🙄

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Feel free to take a couple more from the Braves. thank you very much...

New to pellet game and interested in what pellets work the best/impart the most smoke flavor etc. Anyone given these a try yet?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        In my [admittedly rather limited] experience with different pellets, I think Bear Mountain's Bold flavor are the best I've tried. They are still pellets, though. No pellets are truly "bold" IMO. I've used BBQer's Delight, Grilla, Pit Boss, and Bear Mountain. None of them are bad, although Pit Boss, while cheap, were a good mix of useless dust and useable pellets so some might consider them bad (but I mail ordeded mine, so that could explain that). The others were all very good.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee you really need to try some Lumber MHC or 100% Hickory and some CookiPellets 100% Hickory. Unless you’ve used only special blends, the brands you mentioned are usually 70-80% (probably bark less) oak.

I bought a bag about 2 weeks ago and just realized i left it in my wifes car, lol. Ill be cooking up something this weekend so ill give them a whirl.

Comment

I bought a bag a few weeks ago but haven't tried them yet. Was searching for reviews or info on who makes them and couldn't find much. Saw one comment that said they are made by Pit Boss because it is the same exact bag. Another comment said they are made by GMG... because they use the same exact bag. Another said they are probably made by Traeger because they use the same mix of woods in their signature blend. Basically a lot of people stating "facts" about something when they have no idea what they are talking about. In other words... the internet.
        Last edited by jumbo7676; June 30, 2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I heard that Kirkland closed down a couple of months ago. Their brand was Smoke Ring.

Comment

• jtw
            jtw commented
            Editing a comment
            In case you're not joking, you may be thinking of Kirtland with a T, not Kirkland with a K. I also heard they stopped making Smoke Ring pellets but it's hard to know for sure.

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            You're right, jtw! Thanks for correction.

We grabbed a bag to try. So far, only pellets we haven’t cared for is Bear Mountain. They used to be good but last several bags have had issues in both my RecTec and GMG Davy Crockett. I have found the pellets are way longer than they should be.

Comment

• Whiskeyman53
            Whiskeyman53 commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here, I switched from Lumbejack to Bear Mountain because my local Tractor Suppy carries them at a good price but have had temp issues on my Camp Chef. I switched back to Lumberjack and have not had any problems. I think the larger Bear Mountain pellet caused issues in the burn pot.

I was at Costco yesterday and picked up a bag. 40 lbs for $12.99 here too. My Recteq has a 40 lb hopper and is about halfway full but these will be next to go in there.

Any feedback from anyone yet??
          Last edited by Jfrosty27; July 7, 2022, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I used them on a cook over the long weekend. Im still fairly new to the pellet world and ive been mostly using BBQers delight based on recos from people here. Cant say i had any complaints about the costco pellets. They were pretty uniform length and what i would call an average size, not too long, no jams. Havent gotten to the bottom of the bag yet so cant comment on the amount of crushed/waste in there. I liked the smell of the blend and it imparted good flavor to the beef. Ash was definitely more than the BBQers but not as bad as i have seen with some other bags i tried in the beginning, id put it within range of being perfectly acceptable. Probably burned about 1-1.25 lbs per hour at 250 over a 6 hour cook on a hot day.

Not sure what else to say. Will i buy them again, 100%. I like the variety from BBQers though and there are a few blends/flavors i love so they will probably remain my go to but i will def have a bag of these in stock at all times for convenience if nothing else.

Comment

I’ve been using them so far in my Grilla and I have no complaints. I’d buy them again.

Comment

I picked up a 33 lb bag of Traeger Gourmet Blend from Costco last week for $27. Not a great bargain, I know, but it’s got a great flavor, comprised of sweet maple, hickory and tart Cherry. I used it to make Jerk Chicken last night and really enjoyed the flavor.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Bear Mountain hickory. Just ordered 2 bags from TSC.

On another note, has anyone ordered pimento pellets from this website?

At $95 for 20 lbs, it’s a mighty high price to be able to claim it’s ‘authentic’ jerk cooking.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                  Jfrosty27 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  $95 for 20 pounds. Ouch. That vs $12.99 for 40 pounds of Kirkland brand at Costco. Quite a price spread.

• WayneT
                  WayneT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Right. But I doubt we’ll ever see pimento pellets at Costco, or any other stateside retailer for that matter. 🙃

So who makes the Costco pellets? And what is the percentage composition of oak, hickory, maple, cherry?

Comment

So this is an outfit which posts about shooting down the South Carolina balloon before CNN.
                  But no one knows anything about Costco pellets?

I like them; low ash.

Comment

• learning pellets
                    learning pellets commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So far so good. On 3rd bag running thru GMG Daniel Boone & Davey Crockett with no issues.
                    Was running Lumberjack until Rural King stopped carrying.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sometimes people just don't the answer to a question, especially about Kirkland. Often it's a mystery who makes Kirkland products, they keep that secret quite often and your only option is to read others' speculations on the Internet. Or, sometimes the folks who know simply aren't browsing around at that moment, then older posts get buried and older questions go unanswered. It's just how forums work.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here